Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Odd comments and conclusions by the "reviewer". What did he expect from a base Mac mini?
I thought it was interesting. My experience is that my 14” M1 Pro is slower then my razer running a i7-9750h/Rtx2070-maxq

Jorbanead

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2018
We know the game uses the Unity Engine. Unity has native Apple Silicon support, but it is newer and it’s very likely that they were working on this game years ago. It’s possible when Apple announced their transition - the developers said “let’s focus on PC now and worry about Mac later”

I strongly believe this is what their plan is. Release the base game first on PC and console. Then they can focus on a Mac version. AFAIK since they are using Unity, it should be fairly straightforward to support Mac. However with it still being a relatively new feature of Unity, I could see why they’d want to wait for the PC version to finish first. They have a deadline to release before the end of the year and doing a Mac version may add several more months to the timeline.

Of course right now they’re not going to say they’re doing a Mac version because as of right now they’re not - but that doesn’t mean they won’t in the future.

kermitfhs

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2023
Looks like the sequel is officually announced. There were rumors of the sequel to the wildly popular Cities:Skylines.
MacOS is not supported? Is it possible to play with Steam?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-30 at 19.32.27.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-30 at 19.32.27.png
    327.8 KB · Views: 65

Jorbanead

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2018
MacOS is not supported? Is it possible to play with Steam?
No. It’s not supported.

That doesn’t mean it will never be supported. The original CS was not supported on console for years, but eventually they added console support.

My guess is that since the console market is larger than Mac gaming, it was more profitable to prioritize console first before Mac this time around.

Yeah they said they don’t have the resources to do a macOS port. You may be able to play it with GPTK though.

They had Mac support for the original game when the studio was even smaller and more niche than it is now. My guess is they want to prioritize resources for PC and console first. Their twitter has also confirmed that they have not closed any doors yet on supporting other platforms.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
No. It’s not supported.

That doesn’t mean it will never be supported. The original CS was not supported on console for years, but eventually they added console support.

My guess is that since the console market is larger than Mac gaming, it was more profitable to prioritize console first before Mac this time around.

They had Mac support for the original game when the studio was even smaller and more niche than it is now. My guess is they want to prioritize resources for PC and console first. Their twitter has also confirmed that they have not closed any doors yet on supporting other platforms.
I could have sworn the resources excuse was given for why the first games hasn't been made Apple Silicon native.

Jorbanead

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2018
I could have sworn the resources excuse was given for why the first games hasn't been made Apple Silicon native.
It’s not worth the money. The game is at the end of its lifecycle. Their teams are focused on CS2 and the small team of people that are still on CS1 are not going to waist their time making CS1 native.

More importantly, It’s built on an older version of Unity which also is not native to AS, so there may be a huge hurtle they don’t want to cross. Presumably CS2 is being built on one of the latest versions of Unity which does have native AS support.

Reactions: diamond.g

kevigrif

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2022
OK, so the hype for Cities 2 is really building now. I’ve been playing Cities 1 on my Mac and have been loving it. Is there any way to play CS2 on a Mac?

If I install Parallels will I be able to play it through that? I’m running an M2 MacBook Air.

Reactions: Chuckeee

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Is there any way to play CS2 on a Mac?
When the game is out, you can maybe trey that app/set of tools apple released. I don't game on a Mac so I can't say for sure. I would estimate that Parallels would not give you an ideal experience.

The Cities:Skylines content creators were given early access (not sure if we little folk could pre-purchase the game and gain access) but the more popular CS YTers are rolling out videos on game play.

The game doesn't come out until October, so I'm waiting for then

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
Hm I hope it runs ok.

i do appreciate their honest. Unlike Todd Howard’s bs comments with Starfield optimisation (which it isn’t)

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
I got too much stuff to play and there's too many games coming that I'm gonna leave Skylines 2 on the backburner. Plus this week is both Super Mario Bros Wonder AND Insomniac's Spider-Man 2, both of which are gonna be taking up a lot of my time as I'm going for the Platinum in Spider-Man just as I did the original PS4 game and Miles Morales

Homy

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
Hm I hope it runs ok.

i do appreciate their honest. Unlike Todd Howard’s bs comments with Starfield optimisation (which it isn’t)

It feels as if they are in desperate need of money after the flop with The Lamplighters League and choose to release Cities 2 anyway instead of optimizing it first. It sounds like Starfield:

"Cities: Skylines 2 is a next-gen title, and naturally, it demands certain hardware requirements. We still think for the long-term of the project, releasing now is the best way forward. We are proud of the unique gameplay and features in Cities: Skylines 2, and we genuinely believe that it offers a great experience that you will enjoy."

Jorbanead

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2018
It feels as if they are in desperate need of money after the flop with The Lamplighters League and choose to release Cities 2 anyway instead of optimizing it first. It sounds like Starfield:

"Cities: Skylines 2 is a next-gen title, and naturally, it demands certain hardware requirements. We still think for the long-term of the project, releasing now is the best way forward. We are proud of the unique gameplay and features in Cities: Skylines 2, and we genuinely believe that it offers a great experience that you will enjoy."

Delaying the game wouldn’t really benefit us much. They’ve said no word about Mac support other than “we haven’t closed the door on Mac yet”

But surely if it comes it’s going to come after console.

By releasing it now, they can get user feedback and not only optimize the game but fix bugs and update essential features based on community feedback.

What they really should have done was just rebranded the launch as an open beta. Because that’s really what it is now. And then when they launch the console version next spring that could be the official launch.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I didn't say anything about the Mac support but since you mention it they have clearly said they won't support Apple Silicon as I mentioned in the previous page.

View attachment 2297583
Feels like this is one of thhose opportunities for Apple to send some folk that can accelerate getting an Apple Silicon version up and running. Especially since the main game uses Unity. Wonder what plugin/addon they use that doesn't support ARM. And why wouldn't it run under Rosetta (clearly the modding stuff won't work because of notarization).

Reactions: Homy

Jorbanead

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2018
I didn't say anything about the Mac support but since you mention it they have clearly said they won't support Apple Silicon as I mentioned in the previous page.
That is for the original Cities Skylines. They hadn’t even announced CSII yet.

CSII is built on a newer version of Unity. We don’t know what version they use, but the latest few versions of Unity do have Apple Silicon support.

Here is a newer post from CO earlier this year directly talking about CSII on Mac:

IMG_1358.jpeg

Homy

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
That is for the original Cities Skylines. They hadn’t even announced CSII yet.

CSII is built on a newer version of Unity. We don’t know what version they use, but the latest few versions of Unity do have Apple Silicon support.

Here is a newer post from CO earlier this year directly talking about CSII on Mac:

View attachment 2297869

I'm not talking about a specific game but their general comment "We do not have a dedicated Mac development team, we are not that large a studio that we have devs dedicated to one OS alone. Providing support for Apple Silicon would require a significant amount of work, which I'm afraid just isn't feasible for us to do."

If they don't have the resources it doesn't matter which game they make. Do you have a link to that btw?

Jorbanead

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2018
I'm not talking about a specific game but their general comment "We do not have a dedicated Mac development team, we are not that large a studio that we have devs dedicated to one OS alone. Providing support for Apple Silicon would require a significant amount of work, which I'm afraid just isn't feasible for us to do."

If they don't have the resources it doesn't matter which game they make. Do you have a link to that btw?
Again they were talking about their teams working on Cities:Skylines. Of course they don’t have the resources to do that; the game is on an old unsupported version of Unity. It would require a mountain of work and I don’t even know if it would be possible unless they updated the entire game to a new version of Unity. When Apple Silicon came out, it was already close to end of life on CS so it made no sense to even try when the new one was already heavily in development and most of the team had moved over to the new game.

Their official Twitter said they have not closed any doors on Mac with the new game. That’s straight from CO.

Homy

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
Reviewers report horrofic performance. 38 fps at 1080p high and 28 fps at 1440p high, on a RTX 4090!!

Not having a dedicated Mac team is their least problem. They don’t seem to even have a dedicated PC team.

So it was right to release it in this shape? Right…

0B24D01E-04B4-4B7B-986A-64E3399CF1AB.jpeg

Last edited:

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Reviewers report horrofic performance. 38 fps at 1080p high and 28 fps at 1440p high, on a RTX 4090!!

Not having a dedicated Mac team is their least problem. They don’t seem to even have a dedicated PC team.

So it was right to release it in this shape? Right…

View attachment 2299766

These benches are interesting. For a 4090 anything under 4K typically leaves you CPU limited. The overlay doesn't stay on during the YT video but it looks like the CPU is maxed out during every run.

I'm not excusing the poor optimization of the game, I just wish some of these early sites would separate out why the game is running like trash. I wonder if chips and cheese will do a break down on this game like they did Starfield.

Reactions: Homy

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
These benches are interesting. For a 4090 anything under 4K typically leaves you CPU limited. The overlay doesn't stay on during the YT video but it looks like the CPU is maxed out during every run.

I'm not excusing the poor optimization of the game, I just wish some of these early sites would separate out why the game is running like trash. I wonder if chips and cheese will do a break down on this game like they did Starfield.
Okay I read the pcgameshardware article and it seems like it is a mixture of CPU and GPU limits. It is also a DX11 game? Or at least all their charts mention DX11, so it is going to rely heavily on driver optimizations instead of on the developer to fix things. So far neither AMD nor Nvidia have released drivers with said driver fixes for the game, so there could be a big improvement there next week (again assuming this really is a DX11 game). Makes me wonder how the DXVK/GPTK performance will be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.