Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VisceralRealist

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2023
Long Beach, California
If I've learned anything from purchases of other major titles, it's that you shouldn't buy now, let alone pre-order. It's being rushed out for the holidays and it won't be ready. Wait a few months after it's had several patches and then it'll be worth it.

Reactions: Homy

Jorbanead

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2018
City Planner Plays did an extensive benchmark on a wide range of CPU/GPU combinations.

In the video, they retested after the latest patch on Friday, and they also discovered turning V-sync off helped as well. Both the patch and V-sync disabled resulted in an additional ~5 FPS at most.

Here is the Google sheet with all the breakdowns: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JIUokAXWOvHYsVZzJv7Skju5oKgm0-r4/edit#gid=1737240722

What CPP discovered was that this game is primarily bottlenecked due to the GPU. It’s only until you get to the very high-end GPU’s does he notice bottlenecks with the CPU.

One thing he notes is VRAM. He says this game soaks up a lot of VRAM and he recommends at least 8Gb of VRAM and 16Gb of system memory.

This gives me a tiny sliver of hope for Mac down the road. First, they HAVE to improve performance of this game so it can run on the Xbox Series S. There’s no denying that. On top of that, with Mac’s unified memory system, I’d speculate that a year or two from now, this game could potentially run fairly well on Macs. Since this game heavily utilizes both VRAM and system memory and Mac’s seem to handle memory fairly well (not to mention some Mac’s can have massive amounts of RAM accessible by the GPU via unified memory) But time will tell of course.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
City Planner Plays did an extensive benchmark on a wide range of CPU/GPU combinations.

In the video, they retested after the latest patch on Friday, and they also discovered turning V-sync off helped as well. Both the patch and V-sync disabled resulted in an additional ~5 FPS at most.

Here is the Google sheet with all the breakdowns: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JIUokAXWOvHYsVZzJv7Skju5oKgm0-r4/edit#gid=1737240722

What CPP discovered was that this game is primarily bottlenecked due to the GPU. It’s only until you get to the very high-end GPU’s does he notice bottlenecks with the CPU.

One thing he notes is VRAM. He says this game soaks up a lot of VRAM and he recommends at least 8Gb of VRAM and 16Gb of system memory.

This gives me a tiny sliver of hope for Mac down the road. First, they HAVE to improve performance of this game so it can run on the Xbox Series S. There’s no denying that. On top of that, with Mac’s unified memory system, I’d speculate that a year or two from now, this game could potentially run fairly well on Macs. Since this game heavily utilizes both VRAM and system memory and Mac’s seem to handle memory fairly well (not to mention some Mac’s can have massive amounts of RAM accessible by the GPU via unified memory) But time will tell of course.
Oh that is a very interesting spreadsheet. It looks like the 7950X3D w/3060Ti has a CCX switching issue (unless they manually shut the other), it looks like it has less frames than the 5800X3D with the same GPU.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Only a few more hours till the game drops and we get more reviews of the poor performance.

Homy

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
Steam reviews are out.

Skärmavbild 2023-10-24 kl. 19.41.29.png

Skärmavbild 2023-10-24 kl. 19.38.06.png

Reactions: diamond.g

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Oh boy. I have been playing for about an hour and basically only get 22 fps with the default settings (High everything 3440x1440).

• Wow

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
What is your system specs?
Ryzen 9 5900X (I've messed with PBO)
32GB 3600MT RAM (OC'ed to 3900 for IF sync)
Reference 6900XT Stock
Gen4 SSD
Win 11

I noticed that AMD's performance overlay doesn't actually read the CPU results right so I guess I need to run HWInfo in the background, but my CPU usage was hovering around 60 to 70%. GPU usage reported 99%. As more folks showed up the framerate dipped.

The graphics menu has an advanced option that unveils a lot of tweaking that can take place, when I get off work I will poke around a bit with it. Take my mind off the ridiculousness of SM:Wonder's "special stages".

Jorbanead

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2018
Ryzen 9 5900X (I've messed with PBO)
32GB 3600MT RAM (OC'ed to 3900 for IF sync)
Reference 6900XT Stock
Gen4 SSD
Win 11

I noticed that AMD's performance overlay doesn't actually read the CPU results right so I guess I need to run HWInfo in the background, but my CPU usage was hovering around 60 to 70%. GPU usage reported 99%. As more folks showed up the framerate dipped.

The graphics menu has an advanced option that unveils a lot of tweaking that can take place, when I get off work I will poke around a bit with it. Take my mind off the ridiculousness of SM:Wonder's "special stages".
There’s no need to mess around with settings on your own. Just check this page:

This is based off of all the content creators that have also been told by Paradox various settings that will help with FPS.

• Love

Jorbanead

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2018
With these new Mac’s having improved GPUs, the writing is on the wall for Mac gaming. The only barrier now is time.

I doubt this would ever happen because Colossal Order is such a small developer, but it would be great if Apple + Unity + CO had a partnership where they helped get the game running on Mac.

I have a suspicion that the integrated memory architecture with these new GPUs would be able to run the game really well with some optimizations via Unity/Apple help. I can dream.

Until then, my ETA is 1 year for CS:2 on Mac.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
With these new Mac’s having improved GPUs, the writing is on the wall for Mac gaming. The only barrier now is time.

I doubt this would ever happen because Colossal Order is such a small developer, but it would be great if Apple + Unity + CO had a partnership where they helped get the game running on Mac.

I have a suspicion that the integrated memory architecture with these new GPUs would be able to run the game really well with some optimizations via Unity/Apple help. I can dream.

Until then, my ETA is 1 year for CS:2 on Mac.
Maybe they can do those same optimizations on PC, lol.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Ugh the Waste management mechanic is broken and thus screwing my efficiency across the city.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Yeah I peaked at 49k population and it had been dwindling no matter what I do. I’m gonna have to set this aside and see if any of the upcoming patches fixes this.

Homy

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
Yeah I peaked at 49k population and it had been dwindling no matter what I do. I’m gonna have to set this aside and see if any of the upcoming patches fixes this.

A common bug!

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
A common bug!

Yup and there is a fix for poor mail services. It involves deleting all cargo train and ship depots.

• Wow

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
A common bug!

Is there a setting to reduce this aspect of the game? Just curious. :)

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Is there a setting to reduce this aspect of the game? Just curious. :)
Just don't have trash services. The game will received those services from neighboring cities. And for right now it doesn't cost you anything (also a bug).

ArkSingularity

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2022
Just don't have trash services. The game will received those services from neighboring cities. And for right now it doesn't cost you anything (also a bug).
Didn't they patch this with the latest patch last week, or is this a different bug?

ArkSingularity

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2022
Probably the same bug. I am playing on GP we haven't gotten the patch yet.
Ah, makes sense. Yea they changed a lot in that patch, garbage output seems to be a lot less. Seems way more balanced, but I did have to delete quite a few incinerators (unfortunately lost a lot of my electricity production!)

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Garbage is fixed, but the post office (mail) is still messed up. I have to occasionally run the game in dev mode and send everyone home. I've downloaded a couple mods (one fixes the school capacity, the other fixes the traffic lights). I'm up to 110k people.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Performance is better, but traffic is atrocious because all the businesses send cargo vehicles now.

• Haha
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.