Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
It somehow feels smoother than Civ V running on the same computer (first gen 5K). I'm thourougly impressed with the performance so far. Still in early game though.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Only significant difference I've noted from the Windows version is that the leader animations are absent from the macOS version.

Huh? That's a pretty significant difference. Are you sure you just aren't on lower settings? The option is actually gone?

Aspyr-Blair

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2012
Austin Tx
Hey @Aspyr-Blair, do you have any comments on how I would fare with a 2012 iMac with a NVidia GTX 680MX 2GB card?

It's actually quite good. Keep it at 1080p and you'll need to turn settings down on big maps or extreme late game, but overall very playable.
[doublepost=1477595522][/doublepost]
I take it this would be a dumpster fire on a 2011 MPB with the 256g card, or a 2014 MacBook Air.

Asking for a friend.
Ok. Not really

If it launches, I would be surprised :(
[doublepost=1477595574][/doublepost]
What? Leader animations work perfectly on mine?

If your config is low enough, we lock leader animations. Defaults are set per each config with 1000's of hours of thought going into each.

KevinRS

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2009
Bedfordshire, UK
My MBP has the following graphics capabilities
Intel Iris Pro Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with 2GB of GDDR5 memory

Does anyone know how the game will run? I also have 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM and a 2.8GB i7

I would like to get Civ VI but not if it looks awful or runs the same way. I've had the other Civ games and have spent many 'productive' hours playing them.

Kiwikat88

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2015
Texas
My MBP has the following graphics capabilities
Intel Iris Pro Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with 2GB of GDDR5 memory

Does anyone know how the game will run? I also have 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM and a 2.8GB i7

I would like to get Civ VI but not if it looks awful or runs the same way. I've had the other Civ games and have spent many 'productive' hours playing them.

You'll be just fine. Can't run on ultra but it even looks good on medium settings. Enjoy!

MadDoc

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2005
UK
Please tell me I'm wrong but it looks like even a maxed out 13" MBP doesn't meet the minimum requirements for Civilization VI (dual core i5 not quad, Iris graphics not Iris Pro). Is that right? If so, what a joke these new notebooks are

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
not grabbed so far.firstly, on a 2011 iMac with 1gb6970m, its a bit of a struggle so far, and thats early game. ive walked the resolution down a bit to see if it helps.

secondly, its going to take time to get into it, it is quite different to civ 1-5 and im so far finding it all a bit random. ill persevere of course and im sure ill love it eventually.

also its a bit unstable. sometimes i bring up the options to go back to menu etc and cant click on anything. and on the original startup where it says can my mac run it, nothing happens. and in the game the benchmarks thing crashes it.

Last edited:

KevinRS

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2009
Bedfordshire, UK
You'll be just fine. Can't run on ultra but it even looks good on medium settings. Enjoy!

Do you mind telling me what the differences are between ultra and medium, would I be correct in assuming that one thing you don't get at medium would be the animated leaders?

I am bit annoyed that a top of the range macbook purchased 2 years and a few months ago and upgraded as much as possible at a cost of £2000 is now incapable of running a new game.

Kiwikat88

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2015
Texas
Do you mind telling me what the differences are between ultra and medium, would I be correct in assuming that one thing you don't get at medium would be the animated leaders?

The biggest difference I notice is texture resolution. Things just aren't super crisp like they are on my gaming rig. It still looks nice zoomed out at the distance you would normally play at. Gameplay is just as enjoyable. I don't recall if medium has the animated leaders or not. I can check after work. I'm not sure I would care either way as it doesn't add anything to the game.

I think my biggest concern playing it on my MBP is heat. Civ drives laptops pretty hard. I'm not sure if it is worth putting mine through all that or not.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Please tell me I'm wrong but it looks like even a maxed out 13" MBP doesn't meet the minimum requirements for Civilization VI (dual core i5 not quad, Iris graphics not Iris Pro). Is that right? If so, what a joke these new notebooks are

The 13" has always been dual core, so no surprise there.

When Aspyr released the game Iris graphics were pretty bad, and the 550 is a big step up from the 6100. The quad requirement is only for Macs. I have a feeling the game will run on low settings just fine, especially on Windows. Maybe with some longer turns in the endgame.

Last edited:

zapzoup

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2016
Hey @Aspyr-Blair so could you give us the low-down on how the current mac line up could run Civ6 ? I'm (and from what I understand a lot of others are) in the market for a new laptop, and I don't need to do anything hardcore but I do want it to be able to handle Civ6, at least at low settings ! With yesterday's price hike, I'm thinking I'll either get the cheapest macbook that can handle the game, or go with a Windows machine.

This could serve as a reference sheet for anyone else looking for a new macbook that wants to play the game ! :)

So... how would these fare ?

>Macbook 12'' (Intel HD Graphics 515)
>Macbook Air 2016 13'' (Intel HD Graphics 6000)
>Macbook Pro 2015 13'' (Intel Iris Graphics 6100)
>Macbook 'pro' (ugh) 13'' without the touch bar (15W cpu; Intel Iris Graphics 540)
>Macbook Pro 13'' with touch bar (Intel Iris Graphics 550)
>Macbook Pro 2015 15'' (Intel Iris Pro Graphics)
>Macbook Pro 15'' (Radeon Pro 450, 455 or 460)

Thank you !!:)

Reactions: politicsoffear

Anotoneher

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2011
I have a 2015 13" mbp 2.7 i5, intel 6100, 8gb ram and this game BARELY runs on medium settings and looks like garbage (civ5 looks 5x better). I do mean barely runs. It jitters whenever I move the map, there's a noticeable lag whenever I click something and a map takes 5+ minutes to load. Modern MacBooks are becoming such a joke.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
has anyone else got/noticed the problem where screensaver never kicks in even if civ 6 is open even windowed and in the background.

lizardofwoz

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2012
Australia
Early days, of course, but I think it will take some time to get used to the CLUTTER! There is so much visual information and sheer mess on the screen, that it makes the discovered areas hard to read.

In Australia this game cost $90 which is a fair lump to pay out. Hopefully it will be as interesting as Civ V and provide several years of game play. At this stage I am not sure.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Anyone else noticed that they had loaded Civ VI on the demo macbook pros in the keynote? Are there any plans for Touch Bar support? :)

No clue but I'll keep my eyes peeled. It'd be nice to see some of those basic functions like "Build A City" "Automate Worker" and "Explore" just to name a few, on the touch bar.

kopje_koffie

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2016
I can confirm that the game is playable on a 2012 iMac upgraded with the NVidia GTX 680MX, but only with low/medium settings and at a lower than native resolution. I'd expect this to run fine on bootcamp with the same machine but not something I can be bothered with. Expect much better performance early game than late, in typical Civ fashion.

Aspyr-Blair

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2012
Austin Tx
Hey @Aspyr-Blair so could you give us the low-down on how the current mac line up could run Civ6 ? I'm (and from what I understand a lot of others are) in the market for a new laptop, and I don't need to do anything hardcore but I do want it to be able to handle Civ6, at least at low settings ! With yesterday's price hike, I'm thinking I'll either get the cheapest macbook that can handle the game, or go with a Windows machine.

This could serve as a reference sheet for anyone else looking for a new macbook that wants to play the game ! :)

So... how would these fare ?

>Macbook 12'' (Intel HD Graphics 515)
>Macbook Air 2016 13'' (Intel HD Graphics 6000)
>Macbook Pro 2015 13'' (Intel Iris Graphics 6100)
>Macbook 'pro' (ugh) 13'' without the touch bar (15W cpu; Intel Iris Graphics 540)
>Macbook Pro 13'' with touch bar (Intel Iris Graphics 550)
>Macbook Pro 2015 15'' (Intel Iris Pro Graphics)
>Macbook Pro 15'' (Radeon Pro 450, 455 or 460)

Thank you !!:)

Current gen MBP run it fine at default settings. The CPU in the MacBook however is not up to the task.

As to the MBP's being released next month...your guess is as good as ours. We dont get seed machines :(
[doublepost=1477943236][/doublepost]
Anyone else noticed that they had loaded Civ VI on the demo macbook pros in the keynote? Are there any plans for Touch Bar support? :)

Haha...we certainly noticed...and then promptly pinged Phill on Twitter :)

As to TouchBar support, as soon as we get our hands on the API (assuming it exists) we will investigate!

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
As to TouchBar support, as soon as we get our hands on the API (assuming it exists) we will investigate!

The API is here and is quite extensive:
https://developer.apple.com/reference/appkit/nstouchbar

At the very least, simple function key labeling would be greatly appreciated (which is quick save again??).

I'm not sure how useful it would be in action games other than that respect. Weapons load outs wouldn't work well because you'd have to look down at the screen.

I think a slow turn based game like Civ has more interesting opportunities...anything that let the onscreen UI be a bit more minimal, especially for 13" laptops.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.