Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kiwipeso1

Suspended
Sep 17, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
It's actually quite good. Keep it at 1080p and you'll need to turn settings down on big maps or extreme late game, but overall very playable.
[doublepost=1477595522][/doublepost]

If it launches, I would be surprised :(
[doublepost=1477595574][/doublepost]

If your config is low enough, we lock leader animations. Defaults are set per each config with 1000's of hours of thought going into each.

It runs in strategic map mode on my i7 MBA 2013, and runs in full detail on my 2011 iMac 27" 3.1Ghz with 1GB card.
[doublepost=1477955455][/doublepost]
Will the game even run on Intel HD 4000 equipped notebooks? Somebody want to give it a try?

I'm a bit tired of Civ IV.

You can definitely get Civ 5 to run on HD 4000. My MBA i7 8GB with HD 5000 runs Civ 6 in strategic view just fine.
(Not quite as pretty graphics, but still high performing.)
[doublepost=1477955761][/doublepost]
Early days, of course, but I think it will take some time to get used to the CLUTTER! There is so much visual information and sheer mess on the screen, that it makes the discovered areas hard to read.

In Australia this game cost $90 which is a fair lump to pay out. Hopefully it will be as interesting as Civ V and provide several years of game play. At this stage I am not sure.

It's NZ$90 on the Mac App Store also, so perhaps you're paying in an aussie accent an extra 6 bucks. :D

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
I've run into a few things that I can only assume are UI bugs:
- constantly bringing up the leader screen when I want to attack cities, because the label isn't ignored in attack mode
- unit labels overlapping in the cities at normal zoom levels making it hard to read the health bar

Aspyr-Blair

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2012
Austin Tx
The API is here and is quite extensive:
https://developer.apple.com/reference/appkit/nstouchbar

At the very least, simple function key labeling would be greatly appreciated (which is quick save again??).

I'm not sure how useful it would be in action games other than that respect. Weapons load outs wouldn't work well because you'd have to look down at the screen.

I think a slow turn based game like Civ has more interesting opportunities...anything that let the onscreen UI be a bit more minimal, especially for 13" laptops.

Thanks for the link Cougarcat! I hadnt even searched yet (still swimming in VI craziness)

Reactions: ErikGrim

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
It's very odd that I have to reach for my mouse and click a button to start the game. How much control do you have over odd ui decisions like this and the ones I mentioned above? None?

I've always wondered about this.

You should change it anyway, and if 2K complains just tell them Mac users tolerance for crap UI is lower. ;)

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
has anyone else got/noticed the problem where screensaver never kicks in even if civ 6 is open even windowed and in the background.

is everyone else getting this problem? really annoying as i normally leave CIV open the whole time. I have noticed that it works if you set a corner for screen saver to kick in.

the game though, I'm getting into. firstly I was a bit confused, well I still am, about districts, and I'm sure I'm not putting them where they should be, or figuring out which ones are important, but I'm finding the game plays more like civ 2, in that there doesn't seem to be as much stress about happiness and not being able to expand too quickly too early.

Last edited:

kiwipeso1

Suspended
Sep 17, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
I'm finding it annoying I can't build more 3 or more wonders in the capital and still keep it productive.
I've found that I need to expand rapidly at start, then build wonders in the other cities, which is slower.
And just do districts in the capital, which is annoying because the capital always is quickest to build wonders.
Will probably keep playing through the DLC, but it's not well balanced.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
reaching a weird bit of the game where i just keep clicking on skip turn because i have half a dozen great leaders of different types and they seem to breed and produce so that as and when i manage to make something in a district with a space for some art/music theres been at least one other great bloke appeared since then. this means im not even thinking about whats best for my 6 or 7 cities just about how i can get rid of these famous guys.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
I'm finding it annoying I can't build more 3 or more wonders in the capital and still keep it productive.
I've found that I need to expand rapidly at start, then build wonders in the other cities, which is slower.
This is well and truly by design to slow down wonder hoarders.
[doublepost=1479251261][/doublepost]
reaching a weird bit of the game where i just keep clicking on skip turn because i have half a dozen great leaders of different types and they seem to breed and produce so that as and when i manage to make something in a district with a space for some art/music theres been at least one other great bloke appeared since then. this means im not even thinking about whats best for my 6 or 7 cities just about how i can get rid of these famous guys.
You can retire them for a wide variety of bonuses.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
i really dont get trade routes. with earlier civ youd set them up once and they'd stay. now ever 5 turns or so, the places ive sent a trader from ask me again where they should go. why is this?

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
i really dont get trade routes. with earlier civ youd set them up once and they'd stay. now ever 5 turns or so, the places ive sent a trader from ask me again where they should go. why is this?
It's so you can send them somewhere they haven't gone before and create more roads.

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Hopefully this encourages Aspyr to add Metal support for Civ VI Mac.
Yes. Metal please!
A waste of time and resources until Apple fixes Metal: Feral had to delay the second game now indefinitely due to problems with Metal, WoW's Metal renderer has severe problems on AMD and Intel GPUs (you know, those that Apple has decided to use exclusively in their newer machines), and other games planning to use Metal (e.g. Obduction) are also still plagued by similar problems and nowhere near to being released.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
It's so you can send them somewhere they haven't gone before and create more roads.

ah okay thanks, that makes sense.

also, I'm churning out envoys like nobodies business. but I don't know why or how I should play them so I just fill up all the city states evenly. so at the minute they all have 6 or 7 envoys and the next few I get will take them all to 7 each then I will start making them all 8. is this the best way ?

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
i see theres a new update but i dont see anything downloading in steam, will the mac update follow later?

kiwipeso1

Suspended
Sep 17, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
ah okay thanks, that makes sense.

also, I'm churning out envoys like nobodies business. but I don't know why or how I should play them so I just fill up all the city states evenly. so at the minute they all have 6 or 7 envoys and the next few I get will take them all to 7 each then I will start making them all 8. is this the best way ?

Envoys are there so you can be the suzerain of a city-state.
This is more likely to happen if the other civs have not found your city states yet.
The best way t play them is to check for the best abilities they give your civ, then be the suzerain of that city-state.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Yup. Like kiwi said, beeline for the ones that give you the best suzerain bonuses, also try and keep them as buffers between other civs as you can utilise their military in war.

Reactions: kiwipeso1

xsdeus

macrumors regular
May 24, 2012
San Diego, CA
Really interested in this as well. I have the new MBP with Radeon Pro 460, and I've been searching for recent games that support Metal. I'll check this game out soon, and let you guys all know....

Also, touch bar support would be super awesome!

SaintJ92

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2017
Any information yet if this will be able to run ok on the new 13" MPB w/ touch bar? It has Intel Iris 550. Everything else passes inspection it looks like.

Doesn't need to blow me away. Just want to be able to play at low or default settings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.