Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HowieJ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2018
Hi,

I attempted to return my orange clamshell iBook running is 9.2.2 to its original state with the os restore / install discs os 8.

Now on startup I get as far as a flash of the desktop and it shuts down. Same for booting from CD.

Any thoughts?

TC_GoldRush

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2017
Nevada, USA
Hi,

I attempted to return my orange clamshell iBook running is 9.2.2 to its original state with the os restore / install discs os 8.

Now on startup I get as far as a flash of the desktop and it shuts down. Same for booting from CD.

Any thoughts?
The restore disc(s) for OS 8 are only to be used if your g3 already has 8 on it. Use the install disk for OS 8, hold down C while the computer is booting up. Make sure you boot from the INSTALL disk, and not the restore disc! Report back here if there is any progress, or if I didn't help.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
The restore disc(s) for OS 8 are only to be used if your g3 already has 8 on it. Use the install disk for OS 8, hold down C while the computer is booting up. Make sure you boot from the INSTALL disk, and not the restore disc! Report back here if there is any progress, or if I didn't help.
???

The difference between the Install and Restore discs is that with the Install disc you can have a clean/customised installation. The Restore disc places a full restore with all 3rd party apps and demos that came with the Clamshell when sold. Both go onto a clean hard drive. The Restore disc should not require any existing OS to be on the target volume.

I assume the OP means OS 8.6 as that is what came with the 1st gen Clamshell.

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
Since rebuilding the battery in my Clamshell, I have seen the same behavior in 8.6. Even with the Battery Reset 2.0 update.

I didn’t find a way around it so I dumped 8.6 for 9.2.2.

The only “fix” I found was to remove the battery and then 8.6 would boot okay for me. Could you try that?

HowieJ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2018
Since rebuilding the battery in my Clamshell, I have seen the same behavior in 8.6. Even with the Battery Reset 2.0 update.

I didn’t find a way around it so I dumped 8.6 for 9.2.2.

The only “fix” I found was to remove the battery and then 8.6 would boot okay for me. Could you try that?

Hi All (thanks for the responses - sorta cool!),

To clarify - I’ve used the original orange os 8.6 install discs that came with the clamshell.
Performed a clean install (ticked the box on the install application to replace the existing system folder).

I’ve tried the reset button above the power button & removed the battery as AphoticD has done (funny I had a similar thought). The behaviour sounds very similar to what you experienced AphoticD, just without the battery removal fixing it. Good to know it’s not just me - lol

Boot behaviour is now the same for the CD boot and HD boot - makes it through the os 8.6 screen and to the desktop for half a second then power off. (CD boot shows the CD background pattern - confirming that it is booting off CD)

UPDATE: I seem to have booted into a white open firmware screen (a bit like terminal) date is 1904 on the clock - if that helps.

Sounds like I may have to buy a copy of an os 9 install disk somewhere - a USB install sounds problematic / challenging. I have a Mac mini i can use to build something.

Thanks all (much appreciated - very cool)

H

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.