Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

montecristo

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2003
Gotham
Re: Why does one have to OWN the playlists?

Originally posted by CalfCanuck

So the playlists are "consumed" then discarded - you download a new one to replace the one you just trashed. (Monday morning while you're taking a shower, you download the 20 best songs from a Paris-based DJ, Tuesday you trash that playlist and download a classical collection from the conductor of the London Symphony Orchestra, Weds is a Berlin techno collection, Thursday a selction from your favorite rock star, Friday is Brad Pitt day, etc) ...

That's kinda like a NetFlix idea -- you rent one (or two) playlists at a time, when you're done with it, you get a new one. You don't get to keep anything, but it costs you $20 bucks a month, but there are no "late fees". If you want to keep anything you like, you go to iTMS to buy it.

It could work. It certainly would get rid of the fear of buyer's regret that sometimes keeps people from actually buying songs. I guess the key is to price it right, and to have enough flexibility and variety in the rental playlists.

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
Re: Why does one have to OWN the playlists?

Originally posted by CalfCanuck
The cool thing about this collection of playlists that I mentioned earlier is that a massive selection of playlists exposes you not only to music you've never heard before (quick, tell me the top 10 songs in Nigeria today), but to innovative and eclectic mixes and selections.

But why does everyone feel you have to own them? Do people refuse to listen to the radio because they don't "own" the songs?

Maybe this collection of playlists could be a monthly subscription (unlimited playlist downloads for $20/month), for playback only. If you find a song you really like, then you "buy" it from a different part of the website.

So the playlists are "consumed" then discarded - you download a new one to replace the one you just trashed. (Monday morning while you're taking a shower, you download the 20 best songs from a Paris-based DJ, Tuesday you trash that playlist and download a classical collection from the conductor of the London Symphony Orchestra, Weds is a Berlin techno collection, Thursday a selction from your favorite rock star, Friday is Brad Pitt day, etc)

for playback only? what does that mean?

i can't put it on my iPod? and what to stop me from keeping these songs then?

would they be of lower quality? so that it wouldn't be worth keeping them?

how what this work?

tubedogg

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2003
Minnesota
The DRM for these files could easily be set so they "expire" after a set number of days on your 'Pod, and as you've seen already, they can prevent you from playing them on a non-authorized computer (so even if you manually moved them onto another computer you wouldn't be able to play them).

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
and a new generation of cracks and hacks evolves

now we are just getting complicated

tubedogg

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2003
Minnesota
True but look how long it's taken for the initial version of AAC+Fairplay to be cracked, and it's only really in a state that's proof of concept at that.

For the average Joe it's "good enough" protection against them breaking it.

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
Originally posted by tubedogg
True but look how long it's taken for the initial version of AAC+Fairplay to be cracked, and it's only really in a state that's proof of concept at that.

For the average Joe it's "good enough" protection against them breaking it.

reality is that it is feasible. i wouldn't care for it, and wouldn't use it

BUT ... i'm open minded enough to realize that Apple is not making it's products for me, and me alone. So if Apple PR does some focus groups and whatever it is that they do, and sees this it being worth the time an money to develop this ... I say great ... anything that ensures that when i feel that my Sawtooth G4 is no longer doin it for me, there will be an Apple to get my next PowerMac or PowerBook

magicmusic

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2003
I haven't tought about the atletic people when I went to the 'Guiness World Records' for a 'Silent Computer'candidate.

Attachments

• silent_computer.jpg
    silent_computer.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 222

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
Originally posted by magicmusic
I haven't tought about the atletic people when I went to the 'Guiness World Records' for a 'Silent Computer'candidate.

I may have been drinking to much these last few weeks so i'm gonna need you to explain this for me

evoluzione

macrumors 68020
well, getting back to the flash iPod thing for a sec...

i have over 60gigs of music, and i would love to see a cheaper and much smaller iPod. I don't currently have one (i had an original 5gig but sold it as it was too small etc) and don't want to shell out $500 for a 40gig, but i could quite easily fork out $100-150 on a small player that i could change playlists on every other day or so, i'd only really use it for the 40min subway ride and my moods change so i'd just spend a few seconds syncing it with what tunes i'd want that day....perfect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.