Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gusping

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
So having had my watch for well over a week I can't help but think the classic buckle band feels almost fake and like plastic. Anyone else feel the same?

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Mine comes tomorrow and that isn't what I wanted to hear.

The more I think about it, the more tempted I am to buy a Citizen Ecodrive instead...not.

Hopefully others will chime in and re-assure me.

willismac

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2014
Classic Buckle band feels fake & cheap

I have only tried it in store but thought this band was the best.

DreamPod

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2008
Feels like leather to me. Note that the two pieces of leather are glued together, not stitched together, so maybe that affects the feeling of it?

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I disagree. Personally, I feel the leather is soft and supple and nothing like most stiff, thick, chunky new leather bands. Feels as soft as a well-worn band but otherwise new and pristine.

Techchic

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2015
I totally disagree. I just received my 38mm SS with BCB today, and there is nothing plasticky about it. If anything the feel is a bit 'cardboard-y' but that is totally NORMAL for a brand new leather strap. Leather gets better with use/age.

As a woman, I was a little bit afraid that the classic buckle would look too masculine (I am too far from a store to have done a try-on), but the buckle on the 38mm is nicely proportioned.

Its quite comfy!! Of course its only Day One and I'm over the moon!!

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
So having had my watch for well over a week I can't help but think the classic buckle band feels almost fake and like plastic. Anyone else feel the same?

Mine comes tomorrow and that isn't what I wanted to hear.

It looks fairly plain and mass-produced, but I wouldn't call it "cheap" or plasticky. To be fair, it's made by ECCO, and if you've ever had a pair of ECCO shoes, you'd recognize it instantly. It's the same type of machine mill-pattern leather (i.e. uniform from watch to watch) you'd expect. It's definitely made in multiple pieces and glued together. The smooth strip along each side feels somewhat rubbery. However, I think it will hold up well, and it feels comfortable to me. Most leather bands I've bought, including ones of comparable price, have fallen apart after about a year. I think this one should last 2 years easily. The Classic Band is plain, but functional, and the actual buckle part is better than on any other watch I've had.

That said, I do have a Milanese Loop on order for when I want something a little dressier.

Extoll

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2015
Southport Nc
yeah it doesn't feel like leather i am use to. but wouldn't say its fake. also you guys see u can easily put any 22mm band on since we have classic leather one? video on unbox therapy page.

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
Feels like leather to me. Note that the two pieces of leather are glued together, not stitched together, so maybe that affects the feeling of it?

Nope, they're stitched, at least on mine. They are very tiny stitches (as they should be), making it hard to tell, but they're there. Same on the strap holder.

I love mine. Looks like leather, feels like leather, stretches out like leather. I've no complaints.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
To the second poster, be aware that it has a soft, matte finish, and not a shiny polished finish like some leather band. Perhaps some people find it "cheap" looking because of that, but I don't.

Smartdrive

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2015
That's what you get with a 1st gen product.
A new breed of cow needs time. Get more software updates into them and it will be better.

Oh wait...

Techchic

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2015
I do like it as a band, I'm just questioning the durability.
Anyway, I'm returning my watch.

You are returning your watch because you don't like the black classic band? Why don't you just exchange the band?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I do like it as a band, I'm just questioning the durability.
Anyway, I'm returning my watch.

I think the durability is the last question for this band. It should last quite a while.

Why are you returning the watch?

gusping

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
I think the durability is the last question for this band. It should last quite a while.

Why are you returning the watch?

Although I was really looking forward to the watch, I can't justify £600 on something I don't need in my life which is also a bit buggy (I know they will fix it with updates). I will definitely get version 2 and in the meantime I might sell my iPad and use the watch money to get the new macbook.

mbhforum

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
My co worker got the Classic Buckle and it felt like styrofoam to me. I was unimpressed and felt for $100 cheaper, the sports band was a better value.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
My co worker got the Classic Buckle and it felt like styrofoam to me. I was unimpressed and felt for $100 cheaper, the sports band was a better value.

The sport band feels cheap to me, and is difficult to put on. I was skeptical of the classic band and bought it only so that I'd be in the initial shipping window, but now that I have it I think it's a good choice. There is barely an indentation on it after 10 days of usage. With most other bands it's pretty obvious early on.

gusping

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012

Exactly, it feels weird.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Exactly, it feels weird.

For those who don't have it, a close approximation of the actual leather feel is halfway between the aniline leather iPhone 5S case and the iPhone 6 case. The band itself is thicker than most, with a smooth surface along the side. It's a bit "springy."

wit4breakfast

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2015
Nope, they're stitched, at least on mine. They are very tiny stitches (as they should be), making it hard to tell, but they're there. Same on the strap holder.

I love mine. Looks like leather, feels like leather, stretches out like leather. I've no complaints.

You need to check again my friend.

These are bonded leather bands, a hallmark of low cost production. There is absolutely no doubt that the band mark-up is astronomical.

I was very disappointed when I saw/felt them. I'm going with a sport strap until there is a proper 3rd party alligator leather option.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I tried on the classic buckle band in store, and while it does feel like leather, it was thicker and heavier than the watch bands I used to wear back when I used to wear watches. Just to confirm my memory, I stopped by a watch store this weekend and asked to see some leather bands. They were light and thin, like I remembered.

I think it's a matter of taste and preference. Some people will love the classic buckle band, and others won't.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
It has a weird texture- like others have said above; it's like cardboard or styrofoam.

It is comfortable though and looks relatively conservative. With the visible grain, it doesn't necessarily look cheap.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
You need to check again my friend.

These are bonded leather bands, a hallmark of low cost production. There is absolutely no doubt that the band mark-up is astronomical.

I was very disappointed when I saw/felt them. I'm going with a sport strap until there is a proper 3rd party alligator leather option.

It's mass-produced. However, I've had higher-end bands that have fallen apart after a year. Apple was going for durability and ease of production with this one.

DynaFXD

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
East Coast

The leather band seems to be laminated 3-ply. That is, a thin synthetic inner layer with a laminated thin inner and out covering of leather. I don't think it is leather through and through. I think the inner liner is needed to assure good, safe attachment to the watch fittings that would too hard to get from leather alone. I pulled a binocular microscope out and you can see the build by focusing in on the punched holes for the buckle tongue. It is clearly three distinct layers bonded together. Which is fine, it's an engineered material. Nothing wrong with that. I like mine, but am getting a sport band too for active wear and leaving the leather for work and such.

StophMac24

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2007
Miami

If you don't like it, change the band.....classic buckle might not be a bad buy after this:

https://www.macrumors.com/2015/05/04/apple-watch-classic-buckle-band-parts-disassemble/

Given that the 38MM versions are shipping very fast (ordered one for my wife Thursday, charged and shipped Saturday, be here tomorrow), isn't a bad buy at all for someone who wants it quick and wants the ability to use almost any 22MM band.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.