Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lchlch

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2015
I've done a fair amount of leather working and my take on the band is this.

Leather has a skin side and a felted side, you can thin the leather down by a process called skiving but any real thickness and durability comes from the thick body of the leather extending into the felted side. It's skin at the end of the day made up of layers.

The classic band uses a modern tanning process and it is uncertain if it is chemically died or uses an iron oxide treatment (vinegaroon) for the black. I'm guessing chemically died.

The material used is skived quite thin and doubled over around the watch lugs. Near the lugs there is an additional leather insert which is stitched in by very small machine stitches to bulk out the shape and ensure there is no visible gap around the bar of the lug.

The straps are then glued, probably with UPVA glue. There is nothing wrong with this, it's durable and flexible. Applied in exactly the right amounts it will see out the life of the strap but one could have possibly hoped for micro stitching. Stitching, however, is debatable because the stitching could cause stiffness in the band.

Stitching only appears to be present on the inside of the band where the pads near the lugs are attached and the belt loop middle.

The edges are then burnished to produce a rounded and smoothed boundary and to hide the join of the felt parts meeting and to make the inserts near the lugs look uniform.

3 layer perception can be summarised as 2 skin sides and 2 felt sides impeccably and strongly glued with no discernible join between the felt side. Simply seeing the skin finish on the inside tells you it is back to backed.

The ONLY bit I can't work out is how sturdy the connection to the ring link on the buckle is and I'm not cracking it open to find out how they did it :D

I'm pretty happy with it, nice design job :)

I love posts like this one. Thanks :)

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Mine arrived yesterday. It does indeed look and feel like cardboard. If it indeed wears as quickly as the poster above me has said, then the band will go back for sure.

The verdict on the watch itself...not sure yet...

I've had mine for nearly 2 weeks now. It almost looks brand new, apart from the natural indentation where I've clasped the band the last two weeks. I'd guess that if I didn't wear the band for a few days even that would go away. I've had leather straps - both cheap and at the same price point as the Classic Band - on watches for years. I've rarely gotten more than 18 months with any of them. I think this one should easily last 2 years.

It's fairly plain looking, but I wouldn't describe it as "cardboard." If anything, it's a little spongy/rubbery along the smooth edge, but the outer and inner sides feel fine to me. Classic Band was actually my fallback choice (I wanted Milanese Loop but missed the 4/24-5/8 window by the time I logged onto the store on 4/10), but I'm happy with it and plan to use it as my primary band.

LxTxNx

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2007
it does not; i have one. i think you need to learn how to form opinions.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
They are, however, comfortable shoes. Perhaps the CB is the same?

I do think the classic buckle would be comfortable enough, but I just feel that if/when third-party band adapters come out, I will be able to get a regular leather watch band of comparable or better quality for a lower price.

EdisEdward

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
have any of u guys applied obenauf's leather oil to soften the leather up and give a nice coating to it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.