Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

straphound

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2002
Ohio
IT IS ABOUT TIME!

It is about time that they put the CRT iMac out of its misery. For a few hundred more you can get a G4 eMac. Can anyone say that this is a suprise?

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Re: First post

Originally posted by Floop
First post!

i hope you get kicked off the boards for that.

but i know you won't. arn is too benevolent.

still. you're an idiot.

more on subject-- bye bye, CRT iMac. it's been a good ride, but you should have died a year ago--

pnw

beez7777

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2002
Notre Dame
i'm surprised it even lasted this long. i can't imagine that it's been selling too well with the introduction and then price reduction of th eMac. farewell.

davy the bunny

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2003
Dallas
agreed. It seems long overdue, but I should hope that none of us have ill will towards the G3 iMac as it departs (if it departs, that is).

jethroted

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2003
Cyberspace
It's about time

Those things are useless anyways. G3's, come on. This should have happened when the new imacs came out.

straphound

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2002
Ohio
Maybe keep it...

I don't know...Maybe keep it around, reduce the price, and sell it as an internet appliance. For a lot of people that is probably all that they need. The occasional document or speadsheet and internet access. Sell if for $399 and watch 'em fly off the shelves!

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Re: It's about time

Originally posted by jethroted
Those things are useless anyways. G3's, come on. This should have happened when the new imacs came out.
Useless ? Give me a break. My Wife is on hers everynight. Sure it may not do well on the altivec enabled stuff but it still does everything she needs or wants and more at the moment. Its time as a new unit has come to the end since apple decided on not improving it anymore. Still think the emac is a ugly sucker compared to the original imac. The new imac blows both of them away but thats a whole nother story.

davy the bunny

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2003
Dallas
Blows them both away?

I don't know about blowing them both away. . .

My 700 mHz G4 eMac still benchmarks better than the a 800 mHz G4 iMac in my local Apple Store. Same RAM (256 MB) on both and I stopped all the start-up items on both. . . I'm just sayin'. . .

Aciddan

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2002
Australia
Re: Maybe keep it...

Originally posted by straphound
For a lot of people that is probably all that they need.

I think that, because we're mac owners we sometimes live in 'macville' when it comes to what consumers want.

Let me elaborate before I get totally flamed ;)

Consumers NEVER buy just what they need. We're all caught up in an insatiable power-lust that drives us to buy bigger and better.

I don't think that the CRT iMac can really survive in today's market and it's a wise move by Apple to push it out the bottom of its stack.

I just hope they can push something onto the top that with sate the lust (for a little while ;) ) and push down the other macs to more competive price points (in Oz, an eMac costs between 2k and 3k - getting it down to the $1500 mark where the iMac is would make the apple a lot more competitive)

thus ends my morning rant - time for coffee

-- Daniel, buying a bluetooth adapter today to sate his t68i/iSync lust =)

Anne

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2002
I do think that there is a market for lower power lower priced machines, and it's not surprising that the opinion on a specialized message board like this is somewhat skewed.

My mom uses her G3 imac for checking her email, very light web surfing, and some basic word processing. That's about it. Oh, and I installed Snood a few years ago and I think she sometimes plays that. She really doesn't need a more powerful computer, and doesn't have a lot of money. I know that she cannot be alone in this. There are plenty of people out there who use their computers for a much more limited variety of functions than many of us do, and who either do not have the money or are not willing to spend the money on a more expensive machine. Truthfully, I think that only offering more powerful and more expensive machines is kind of ripping off these customers. People who donn't the power of more expensive machines should have a choice to buy less expensive and more barebones machines.

Of course, that's the point of view of a consumer, not a business. And heck, my mom won't need a new computer for *years* anyway. :D

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2001
BKLN
Re: Re: It's about time

Originally posted by Dont Hurt Me
Useless ? Give me a break. My Wife is on hers everynight. Sure it may not do well on the altivec enabled stuff but it still does everything she needs or wants and more at the moment. Its time as a new unit has come to the end since apple decided on not improving it anymore. Still think the emac is a ugly sucker compared to the original imac. The new imac blows both of them away but thats a whole nother story.

You're so damn right. My mum used a G3 333 beige tower with Apple Studio Display, and it's all she needs, and more.

I wouldn't mind replacing it with the CRT iMac - it's SO much better looking than the eMac.

Centris 650

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2002
Near Charleston, SC
::sniff, sniff:: :(
Well, I remember when the RevA came out. I was BLOWN AWAY! I called my Apple reseller and impatiently waited...for about 2 months. It's still in use for internet stuff and Appleworks though it desperately needs some more ram!

I think the iMac CRT should have died right before the Flower Power/Blue Dalmation. Ugh! :rolleyes: :p

Goodbye CRT iMac. It was fun.

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
They are the best for the educational field

I like the CTR iMac, it is a good machine, it is perfect for anybodys mom:D

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
I think apple could put in a geforce 2mx a 700 g3 and sell it at wallmart for $659 and do that for a year or 2 to intoduce mommies & kids to the apple world. Hey you could still get os x, iphoto, imovie,itunes etc. the only thing you cant really do is hard core gaming. big deal if this site is any representation most users dont want to game( NOT ME ) all they want is email,and surf the net. And my reference earlier was to the 1 giger imac, sweet sweet sweet.

straphound

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2002
Ohio
While I agree that many people would be put off by the speed of the CRT iMac many people would not know better or care how fast it is, they would just see that it is inexpensive. When I worked at a local computer store (who sold Macs as well) the best selling machines where piece of junk 300 celerons that were under $400. They were slow and unreliable but that didn't seem to stop anyone. I guess what I mean is that speed isn't everything. I just bought my first mac a few weeks ago. It is a May 2002 revision combo 700 iBook that Microcenter had on special for $899. Granted my PC whoops on it speed wise but I have not touched my PC in the three weeks since buying the iBook!!! :D

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
right now only middle to upper middle class people can really afford a mac...if apple lowered there prices a ton on the imacs and just kept them good enough to run in os x then i think it would open up a huge percent of people.

jkojima

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2002
I think apple could put in a geforce 2mx a 700 g3 and sell it at wallmart for $659

Good idea! The iMac's original purpose was to create a new market category in computing - that of the easy to use, inexpensive computer for new or casual users. The concept of selling through WalMart is a good one when you're talking about that market segment.

Can I add to your suggested technical specs? Put in a digital media reader right in the front bezel for effortless connectivity with digital cameras, and partner with a printer manufacturer (Epson? HP?) to offer a cheap, matching photo-capable colour inkjet.

Anybody here remember the old Mac LC that Apple enabled with a TV tuner and sold as the MacTV (or some name like that)? Why not plop in a DVD/CD-RW combo drive and a TV tuner, up the price to be at the high end of the Wal-Mart computer scale, and sell it as a digital hub appliance?

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Originally posted by jkojima
Anybody here remember the old Mac LC that Apple enabled with a TV tuner and sold as the MacTV (or some name like that)? Why not plop in a DVD/CD-RW combo drive and a TV tuner, up the price to be at the high end of the Wal-Mart computer scale, and sell it as a digital hub appliance?

It was an LC 500 series unit, only domestic desktop Mac to be black (black used to be common in other countries, tho). Those things kicked ass. i really wish Apple would write another TV tuner for OS X...

i agree that Apple might do well to get cheap units out there, but they would and will never sell products at walmart. apple has an image to maintain. that's why ipods are at target :)

pnw

Bozola

macrumors regular
I am surprized that people think these g3 imacs are 'dead' I have 4 of them.. one running 10.2 and 3 @ 9.2. I have no complaints. True, I do not do 'games' (I have a game cube for that). But it's plenty snappy.

They also seem to be holding their values ok.. if you check powermax and small dogs..

Bozola
(First post, like anybody cares)

rjrufo

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2002
Boston
Originally posted by paulwhannel

i agree that Apple might do well to get cheap units out there, but they would and will never sell products at walmart. apple has an image to maintain. that's why ipods are at target :)

pnw

I agree that Apple should sell cheap Internet/Digital Lifestyle appliances, and since you brought up Target, why not sell them there? If they sell it in the $599-799 range, I'd bet that they sell quite a few.

They already sell the iPods, so why not the iMac?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.