Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
No one has noted that lcd's still aren't perfect and in many ways can be down right ugly. I cant play games on my friends 15 in flat imac becasue all the colors look washed out and if you look at the screen from even a slightly odd agle you throw the contrast off. I understad the emac is still around but I hope apple doesn't abandon the crt entirely.

weev

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2003
Sydney, Australia
You pack of miserable bastards!

My Graphite 500 imac is my friend, leave her alone. Sure she aint new and fresh and plays in the X lounge but she is still a marvellous computer.

In fact I'd say the crt imac is one of the best mac computers ever! (and I've owned 7) As a cheapy computer its a dream! I bought mine second hand for $A1700 and made many times that in graphics work. One of the best investments I've ever made. I have at least six months use before I even reconsider entering powermac heaven (too noise with old chip now).

LONG LIVE THE IMAC. She will not rest in peace cause there's a lot of life in this machine yet.

voicegy

macrumors 65816
I'll miss you!

Speaking for the education market, it's been a Godsend for us to still have the old iMac as an option, and it was smart of Apple to keep them available for as long as they have. They're damn good little machines, perform their function well, are easy to move from one place to another, and look clean as a whistle.

However, I can confirm as well that before the end of the year (possible summer, then start out the new school year without it as an option) the old form iMac will, indeed, be no more.

Our figures show that over 70% of new Mac purchases are the eMac, and it makes sense given the speed increase, etc. So the purchases are dictating the life.

Personally, I detest the eMacs, and am looking forward to a redesign. They weigh a ton. They're hard to grab and move around. I can never find the power switch. And they're just plain dorky and somewhat "bloated" looking.

So, here's to a redesigned, lower priced G4 all-in-one CRT solution. Or, something even better!
(But I'll miss you, old iMac. Your debut was fantastic, and you blew away the world and brought Apple back from the brink, not to mention those GREAT colors!)

kansaigaijin

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2002
the great ether
classic iMac in Japan

really? I still see lots in Sofmap / Yodobashi camera here in Kansai.

cut the price way down! they are perfectly adequate for most people.

I see lots of PCs for sale in the bargain basement price range, and the imac is so much more convenient.

PyroTurtle

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2001
10 Minutes from Disneyland
put a good graphics card in there and you have the iBook right? what games can't you play on the iBook? just turn the graphics down! keep the Classic iMac, make it super cheap, and sell a ton of them! then you can market it to almost anyone...my friends iBook runs every app we throw at it, not lightning fast, but it works...point being, that as long as the G3 gets updates (which IBM is doing still) then put them in that snow crt thing and keep selling it!
unless they've abandoned it and are just sellign what was in stock...very very slowly....

heck, my 233 iMac (Rev A!) even plays Giants and Medal of Honor, we're not sure how, but it does...

Interiority

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2001
England
Long live the CRT iMac

Here in the UK, the G3 iMac is the only truly affordable consumer Mac - not to mention being a design classic and the computer that practically saved Apple. I recently replaced my Mum's Rev B iMac with a new Snow 600MHz. I hope it continues for many years - ideally with some fast graphics, one of those speedy new IBM G3s and a nice low price.

In comparison, the eMac has all the aesthetic panache of a slapped bottom. Are you listening Mr Ive?

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Re: I'll miss you!

Originally posted by voicegy
Speaking for the education market, it's been a Godsend for us to still have the old iMac as an option, and it was smart of Apple to keep them available for as long as they have. They're damn good little machines, perform their function well, are easy to move from one place to another, and look clean as a whistle.

However, I can confirm as well that before the end of the year (possible summer, then start out the new school year without it as an option) the old form iMac will, indeed, be no more.

Our figures show that over 70% of new Mac purchases are the eMac, and it makes sense given the speed increase, etc. So the purchases are dictating the life.

Personally, I detest the eMacs, and am looking forward to a redesign. They weigh a ton. They're hard to grab and move around. I can never find the power switch. And they're just plain dorky and somewhat "bloated" looking.

So, here's to a redesigned, lower priced G4 all-in-one CRT solution. Or, something even better!
(But I'll miss you, old iMac. Your debut was fantastic, and you blew away the world and brought Apple back from the brink, not to mention those GREAT colors!)
70 % didnt know they were selling so many, where you get those numbers? Agree with a lot of what you said about that thing but if Lcd imacs continue to drop in price would you need the emac?maybe they should make a model that isnt so gigantic but still inexpensive like taking the best of imac classic and the features of the emac and roll into one unit that sells for 800 bucks? I wonder what that arm on the imac costs? $50-75 bucks?This is going to be a interesting year for all macs.

wrylachlan

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2002
Cut the CRT iMac, Drop the pricing on the eMac, and keep dropping the price instead of upping the processor, so that the gap between eMac and LCD iMac becomes more pronounced. That's the direction I think apple will take. The eMac will take over the low end.

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
i think the CRT iMacs should stick around for a while longer because schools still use them heavily. all my whole school district uses them for is basic (and i mean really basic) office and occasional educational games for the 2nd and 3rd graders. not to mention all some people need is just something to check email, visit sites and chat.

and the eMac looks like a CRT iMac dropped a few times with a G4 chip and better graphics card. i would have no problem with the eMac going away.

neonart

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2002
Near a Mac since 1993.
SIN!

Why mess with a perfectly good product? I think they can match the entry level iBook specs for the current $799 price. Maybe even throw in a slow CDRW?
Like it's been said here a bunch of times, lots of people lust hi tech, but many just go with the cheap stuff.
How many PC users say "PC's are faster than macs", but use some crappy eMachine? As long as you have more customer base, you may sell other products to them.
I was reintroduced to Macs after several years of absence with the iMac. Since then I've bought more than 10 machines for home and work, plus have "converted" many. All because of that cheap iMac.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Use it as bait to get everyone hooked. Sell it for $499 and develop all those low-level angry PC users into loyal Mac users. Easy stuff Apple. :)

Pepzhez

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2002
Whoa! Don't diss the CRT imac! For the cost/performance ratio, the DVSE 500 mHz was the best G3 machine Apple ever produced. (And the graphite the best looking computer ever made!) And, damn are they built like a tank.

I have two of 'em - switched out the stock HDs with 80 GB 7200 rpm drives, maxed out the RAM and running OS 10.2 - and they more than hold their own today.

Yes, I use the dual gig G4 set-up for serious video and audio work, but the imacs are used daily as well. One is mostly for internet use and the other - well, let me tell you what these machines are absolutely fantastic for:

I have dedicated one of the imacs as a music player, running itunes on OS 10.2 and the entire 80 GB drive for sound files. I use an M-Audio USB digital to analog audio converter to plug the output directly into the stereo system, so there is no compromise in sound quality. (Oh, and since I don't have a TV in the music room, this very same imac is good for occasional DVD viewing as well.)

The CRT imac is fanless and dead quiet - a MUST if one is going to use a computer as a serious (or even listenable) music player. (Plus, the graphite DVSE looks damn good!) Now let's see anyone do THAT with jet engine fans in Dells and, yep, even any current Apple G4 offering.

Mark my words, the CRT imacs are going to become highly sought after in audiophile circles for this purpose alone (they are already catching on big right now). There are simply NO OTHER computers period that are this quiet and well-made.

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
Originally posted by Pepzhez
The CRT imac is fanless and dead quiet - a MUST if one is going to use a computer as a serious (or even listenable) music player.

Dead on.

Who really needs a dual 1.42Ghz. machine to run iTunes?

My iMac has become a pure digital jukebox.

Fanless, quiet. Perfect. ;)

kansaigaijin

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2002
the great ether
indeed they are looking a little lonely i the shops, and eMacs are taking a lot more display space.

17" powerbook has still not shown up, just the cardboard mockup, doesn't do it justice I am sure.

Flickta

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2002
Born in USSR
eMac compared to iMac CRT is just ugly.

and prices... it is always painful to visit Apple's sites. Something you can never get used to. :(

Griffindor73

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2002
Brighton, England
They should keep it for a bit longer- but it does need an upgrade- 600Mhz does sound slow. Lets face it, many people don't realise that apple have replaced it with a new version of the iMac and many people still say to me 'oh, I'd like one of those coloured iMacs!" D'oh!

liloconf

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2002
HEY!!!

be nice, i use my imac snow everyday. Its got 2 sticks of 512, a burner, and a decent hard sized hard drive (40 gigs). im running 10.2.4 on it, photoshop, imovie, and divx movies all play fine on it. I set up a external firewire dvd drive and that runs fullscreen too with no probs. So don't knock it, its old it will be replaced, but it is still better then an e machine :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.