Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Raging Dufus

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2018
Kansas USA
I could use some help from some of you Linux devotees with my graphics in Ubuntu.

Don't want to take this thread off into the weeds, so please see here, and thanks!

I tried it, unfortunately what's left of the stain is subsurface.
Magic or not, it can't erase what it can't reach :confused:

Sounds like an untouchable limitation.

stop hammer time touch this.gif

gts250gamer101

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2019
Area 51, Planet Earth
I can't remember for sure if the panels are compatible. (Pretty sure someone else in this thread can answer that), but I have a DLSD panel laying around you could have very cheaply if it would work for you. (That assumes you're in the U.S. - priced shipping it to someone elsewhere awhile back and the price was horrible.)

DMing you now!

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
We can make an exception I think, especially considering that Apple had said they were done with large laptops.
I'm still mad at them for discontinuing the 12in. Perfect screen size for an ultraportable.

And why is 1920×1200 still the largest scaled resolution on the 16in? That's just 141 ppi vs. 147 on the 15in – the 16in would have to offer 2000×1250 to match that.

Last edited:
Reactions: eyoungren

EnriqueG

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2017
I got a 17", 1.67GHz with 2GB of RAM for €50. However, it was sold "as is". Two days later after buying it the backlight stopped working (the screen works, it can be seen when lit).

The iFixit guides for changing the inverter cable or the inverter board are LONG. And how do I know wether it is the cable or the board?

This kind of problem might be due to a "wrecked" cable that I can fix or should I buy a inverter board and cable before attempting to open it?

I have a defunct G4/15". Can I reuse something inverter-related?

Can I use the keyboard from the 15" in the 17". The former is the Spanish one I'm familiar with, the 17" I bought had a German keyboard...

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I got a 17", 1.67GHz with 2GB of RAM for €50. However, it was sold "as is". Two days later after buying it the backlight stopped working (the screen works, it can be seen when lit).

The iFixit guides for changing the inverter cable or the inverter board are LONG. And how do I know wether it is the cable or the board?

This kind of problem might be due to a "wrecked" cable that I can fix or should I buy a inverter board and cable before attempting to open it?

I have a defunct G4/15". Can I reuse something inverter-related?

Can I use the keyboard from the 15" in the 17". The former is the Spanish one I'm familiar with, the 17" I bought had a German keyboard...
My suggestion is simply to replace the entire LCD. On the 17" this is a fairly easy process. The back of the LCD has some metal strips that have tiny hooks. Getting the panel to disengage from those hooks without ripping the strips off or slicing yourself open is an acquired skill.

Find a dead 17" PB and use it's LCD.

As for the keyboard, I simply don't know. However, I'd guess that the connectors are different. If you can pick up a dead 17" PB though then you can also scavenge it for the keyboard (and other parts at need).

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
If the keyboard is from the same generation, then maybe. I think there were two or maybe three generations of keyboard for the Alu PowerBooks. The last one (A1139, A1138), I think, swapped ADB for USB for controlling the trackpad and is unique to that model. iFixit should give details of what you need to be looking for. There should be an identification code on the brown translucent ribbon connector that you need to match up to your 17" PowerBook.

If the keyboards are different but the key layout is the same, you might get away with swapping the keycaps over but that is laborious.

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
We can make an exception I think, especially considering that Apple had said they were done with large laptops.
That's all part of the Bezel-Conspriacy ...
Planned in 2004 with always broad bezels since Apple now lauches the 16" MBP and it has the same size, like the early intel 15" MBP by making the bezel smaller.
15" 2008: 1.0 x 14.1 x 9.6
16" 2019: 0.64 x 14.09 x 9.68

Looking at the specs ot that stellar 16"MBP it'll leave us all Club17 menbers in dust and frustration ... (but nowing that tiny mammals survived the dinosaurs)

Last edited:

bobnugget

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
England
Just seen this thread and realised I should have posted my MBP 17" 2.0 GHz Core Duo DVT on here! Here's the thread with picture: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/the-original-macbook-pro-17.2201100/
img_6363-jpg.862873

I bought it as parts from a recycler, and reassembled it. It's all working and original apart from the display panel and drives, which I sourced from a broken 17" MBP 2.16 GHz Core Duo, and the firewire chip failure which affects these.
A1150 (incorrect!), Core Duo 2 GHz, 120 GB HDD, 2 GB RAM. 820-2023-01 logic board and 820-1970-04 daughter board

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Just seen this thread and realised I should have posted my MBP 17" 2.0 GHz Core Duo DVT on here! Here's the thread with picture:
That's a cool one :) When was it built according to the serial number?

I wonder if there are pre-production 1.66 GHz 15in MBPs out there...

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Just seen this thread and realised I should have posted my MBP 17" 2.0 GHz Core Duo DVT on here! Here's the thread with picture: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/the-original-macbook-pro-17.2201100/
img_6363-jpg.862873

I bought it as parts from a recycler, and reassembled it. It's all working and original apart from the display panel and drives, which I sourced from a broken 17" MBP 2.16 GHz Core Duo, and the firewire chip failure which affects these.
A1150 (incorrect!), Core Duo 2 GHz, 120 GB HDD, 2 GB RAM. 820-2023-01 logic board and 820-1970-04 daughter board
Very nice. I had no idea Apple had a 2Ghz pre-production model. Have to wonder where the recyler got it from. ;)

Week 11 (March) 2006. I bet there are some - I've seen another of these on eBay before, too.

This is a really fascinating find. I was aware of there being dev tests of 15 and 17in Core Duos, though the only models whose clock speeds I was definitively aware of were the 1.67 and 1.83 15in models cited on Everymac. As you know, the ”A1150” you have isn’t noted on there.

What’s doubly fascinating about your DVT MBP, personally speaking, is that my 17in PB G4 was built on week 12 of 2006 — meaning not only was it among the very last of the PBs made and produced a week later than your MBP, but also your DVT MBP was an example which reveals how they were still tweaking model internals before its April début.

Have you ever run Geekbench 2.2.7 to gauge its overall performance?

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
The things you can find at recyclers around Cupertino :) i reckon an employee had it and recycled it as it was about 9 years old when I got it.

Do you reckon there's any chance of a prototype MBP built in 2005 to show up there? :)

bobnugget

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
England

famicomaster2

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2019
I made an account here just to post in this thread. I've got the 17" PowerBook G4 1.67GHz. Paid $50 for it at a used computer store a couple years ago. They wanted $100 but said "I'll give it to you half off as long as you never bring it here again"

It's been about as reliable as can be since, albeit a bit slow and hot as these things usually are.

Finally looking into upgrades. Saw about the old Daytech 2GHz logic boards, do you think it would be possible for one to manually do such an upgrade? A PowerPC 7448 would be nice, as would more than 2GB RAM but I doubt you can do anything about that. Any sort of video chip replacements I might do, too? Maybe even a video memory upgrade to 256MB?
I know you can upgrade iBooks in a similar way (PowerBook G4 12" video chips are drop in replacements).

Also, how much benefit would I get from an SSD on this machine? If I do replace it, I might go with Tiger instead of Leopard - Is Tiger any faster?

Reactions: eyoungren
I made an account here just to post in this thread. I've got the 17" PowerBook G4 1.67GHz. Paid $50 for it at a used computer store a couple years ago. They wanted $100 but said "I'll give it to you half off as long as you never bring it here again"

It's been about as reliable as can be since, albeit a bit slow and hot as these things usually are.

Finally looking into upgrades. Saw about the old Daytech 2GHz logic boards, do you think it would be possible for one to manually do such an upgrade? A PowerPC 7448 would be nice, as would more than 2GB RAM but I doubt you can do anything about that. Any sort of video chip replacements I might do, too? Maybe even a video memory upgrade to 256MB?
I know you can upgrade iBooks in a similar way (PowerBook G4 12" video chips are drop in replacements).

Also, how much benefit would I get from an SSD on this machine? If I do replace it, I might go with Tiger instead of Leopard - Is Tiger any faster?

Yes, you’ll notice an appreciable difference with boot times and file access times when using an SSD, especially if you’re moving from a 5400rpm OEM HDD.

Also, SSDs generally run cooler than HDDs, and they’re virtually silent. With older equipment like the PowerBooks, an SSD is probably the most affordable way to reduce a bottleneck with legacy system performance — followed by maxing out the RAM.

As for Leopard vs. Tiger, that is probably more a personal needs matter. While Tiger may be superficially quicker in some areas, Leopard was optimized with the fastest PPCs in mind, along with the early Intel configurations. I run 10.5.8 on my DLSD and it responds smoothly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.