Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AshleyPomeroy

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2018
England
I realise that despite participating in the thread I haven't actually posted a picture of my 17" PowerBook. I thought I had. It's a hi-res 1.67ghz model that I found cheaply because the keyboard is very worn (the space bar needs a firm press):

7qxalJY.jpg

Replacement keyboards occasionally pop up on eBay but I'm not sure which specific part number was used by the hi-res model. The keyboard backlight is apparently brighter than the non-hi-res 1.67ghz model. I'm curious as to why Apple released two similar versions of the same laptop so close together, but I suppose at the time Apple had run out of ways to make the G4 faster in a laptop.

I've put in an SSD, which didn't do a lot for the speed but at least makes it quieter. I mainly use it for iTunes, and one day I plan to take it along to Starbucks to write an angry blog post about the Valerie Plame affair and how - despite claims to the contrary - the United States' mission in Iraq is not in fact accomplished, and that the mainstream media unfairly conspired to torpedo Howard Dean's presidential campaign. My hope is that I'll get a book deal. Then I won't have to waste my time writing a blog.

I ended up making a short film about it, with the G4 in the natural environment from whence it came:

j7DqA29.jpg

LpYVgsq.jpg

nsHmQ8X.jpg

dIw21RU.jpg

skinniezinho

Suspended
Jan 1, 2009
Portugal
Sorry to hijack this thread.
Since we are all in confinment, and I miss my PB G4 12 I think of searching for another Powerbook.
Since I already have a 12.5' X230, I wanted something bigger and Hi Res...so what about a PowerBook G4 1.67 17 HR?
I know that they are difficult to find, but...I don't need it anyway...
But I have some questions:
1 - Battery:from a little search it seems impossible to find batteries for this models. For 15 and 12 there is still lots of aftermarket batteries, for 17 not. Anyone found one in Europe that doesn't cost more than the laptop?
Are this batteries possible to rebuild using 18650 cells like the 12'?

2 - Ram: are this systems picky with ram?Can they take 667Mhz ram or 800Mhz ram for example?
Thank you by now, and expect to be part of this group soon

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
Sorry to hijack this thread.
Since we are all in confinment, and I miss my PB G4 12 I think of searching for another Powerbook.
Since I already have a 12.5' X230, I wanted something bigger and Hi Res...so what about a PowerBook G4 1.67 17 HR?
I know that they are difficult to find, but...I don't need it anyway...
But I have some questions:
1 - Battery:from a little search it seems impossible to find batteries for this models. For 15 and 12 there is still lots of aftermarket batteries, for 17 not. Anyone found one in Europe that doesn't cost more than the laptop?
Are this batteries possible to rebuild using 18650 cells like the 12'?

2 - Ram: are this systems picky with ram?Can they take 667Mhz ram or 800Mhz ram for example?
Thank you by now, and expect to be part of this group soon
Regarding batteries, I believe they are rather difficult to source, and price-wise if you picked up a very cheap PBook 17 (often quite abused) it's likely that a battery may be more expensive. A near mint example here in Europe are often advertised between 200-250 euros, in which case you'd be able to find a cheaper battery.;)
I have a PBook5,9 which uses PC2-4200 DDR2 memory running at 333MHz. The earlier 17" PBook5,7 1.67GHz uses PC2-2700 DDR333 memory.
Incidently I recently saw a 17" PBook battery 58Wh (advertised as new in packing) for 10euros. Was tempted to buy it for myself......

Last edited:

philgxxd

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2017
Malaga, Spain
@CooperBox I would say go for it. If the batteries are like for the early 2008 non-unibody MBP's mine was very easy to pry open and you could always recell them. Well they are using li-on packs not 18650 cells bit maybe even easier to handle.

Reactions: CooperBox

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Sadly, although electrically very similar, the MBP batteries are a tad larger than the PB batteries so you cannot mix and match.

dbdjre0143

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2017
West Virginia
It's a hi-res 1.67ghz model that I found cheaply because the keyboard is very worn (the space bar needs a firm press):

Replacement keyboards occasionally pop up on eBay but I'm not sure which specific part number was used by the hi-res model. The keyboard backlight is apparently brighter than the non-hi-res 1.67ghz model.
@AshleyPomeroy I have a top cover from my dead 17" DLSD that you can have for cost of postage if you want it. :) I keep wanting to recycle that machine since I've never had any success in the last 2 years of offering parts, but I just haven't been able to bring myself to yet, since it does seem that the parts are often scarce and/or expensive.

bossanova

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2020
time to time

17 inches. 16:10. 3840 × 2400.

Yeah baby.

Just saw your post. This is great news. Just this very moment I'm looking for a DELL (only-due to official Govt work and previous user familiarity) laptop with a larger screen for a sight-impaired person in my family. They could really benefit from having it. It will be used mostly for consulting work use which includes some travel. When at home it will be connected with an exterior monitor as a second screen. The laptop 's larger screen allows enlargement of documents, etc. I need to buy it soon. I'm not happy with the available combinations of RAM/SSD/graphics pwr/etc. on new laptops being offered by Dell right now so IMO this would be an excellent option.

Is it already offered for purchase for US customers? Or at least is there more information known regarding availability?

TIA

Last edited by a moderator:

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Anyone her running an 17" MBP4,1 A1261 with Mojave-Patch?
After restoring/repasting my unit shows really high temperatures (and I have no "before"-data, since the machine came in broken):
GPU 79°C(idle) to 85°C (average)
CPU about 75°C up to 80°C
17inchTemps.png

It exceeds by far temps on my 15"MBP4,1. Is it due to 17"s higher resolution screen?
Well, I know, Ceramique2 takes some time to settle, but I fear, this starting temps are still much to high and something went wrong with my repasting. Fitting in the LogicBoard and fiddling with the power-cable beneath the board had been really cumbersome, so thermal-paste might have been placed improperly.

Edit: Problem solved. I've really messed with the repasting!
Maybe too much thermal-paste, maybe the wrong way I've applied it (manual says Ceramique is to be spread in a thin layer onto mobile c2duos ... I did that by intention on my previous projects, but this time I placed single dots onto each of the three processors), or maybe lifting the logicboard again (to fit in the battery-connector, I forgot initially) made thermal-paste poorly applied/work.
This time I first attached the heatsink to the board, then worked in the logicboard-heatsink-combo into the lower case. Much more convenient, cause trying to plug in the powercable beneath the logicboard is really unwieldy.
So this is result on light browsing ...
17inchProperTemps.png

Last edited:
It sure is (my sincere apologies), but we also had 17-inchers from other brands talked about here. And this one actually looks pretty decent.

I’m not angry or anything. Just… I thought this thread was about having a 17" Apple laptop? Or, maybe posts relating to the outside chance someone actively has a Hackintosh build running on a non-Apple 17" of any vintage.

I won’t take it too seriously, although I get my hopes up whenever I see a new post on this topic and open it to realize it wasn’t actually about someone’s Apple ’Book 17" laptop. :|

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
I'll post pics 'n' stuff once my 17" MBP arrives :)

Don't dare to use it too much - 17" are addictive!!!
After I've swapped the SSD from my A1260 into the A1261 and after being on the 17" book all day,
15" in a sudden look so pretty small - that's crazy!
Didn't put the 11" MBA side by side ... Screen fits twice into the 17".
I'm looking forward to use the 17" as my DD ... :cool:

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
How hard does this hit the CPU? :cool:

I was using Avatron AirDisplay. Maybe one iPad would be ok, but two of them causes lags after a while and CPU was at 100% while GPU temperature was in a tolerable range, so I guess, rendering is done by the CPU.
Maybe without additional virtual screens on the iPads, things would be less demanding - I really pushed this settings to the limits.
After 5-10 min of usage, connectins breaks down and throws the MBP back to the login-screen.
I tried to run "duet", since it is to use the GPU for rendering, but that didn't work at all.
Then there's a free solution from Splashtop which is even more demanding for the CPU, compared to AirDisplay.
There's an AirDisplay version even for Leopard (via Wayback-machine), but unfortunately no Universal Binary and not for PPC.
Maybe running Leopard or SL will have more resources to run a triple-monitor book ...
Do you know, if there's and ExpressCard/34 video-card, to add a third monitor (something like the Village Tronic VTBook 1.6.2 PCMCIA-Card)? Maybe the Village Tronic VTBook could be attaches with this ExpressCard-To-CardBus-adapter? (I'm gonna check that! Would be great to have two of the Acrylic Cinema Displays attached to the Macbook!)

Last edited:

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
I was using Avatron AirDisplay. Maybe one iPad would be ok, but two of them causes lags after a while and CPU was at 100% while GPU temperature was in a tolerable range, so I guess, rendering is done by the CPU.

Yes, it's all done by the CPU unfortunately.

There's an AirDisplay version even for Leopard (via Wayback-machine), but unfortunately no Universal Binary and not for PPC.
ScreenRecycler works from 10.4 to 10.10 and is available as Universal Binary (I've tested it on a 12" PowerBook). As it uses VNC, you can use almost any device as additonal screen as long as it's got a VNC client. Like with AirDisplay, all rendering is done by the CPU.

Do you know, if there's and ExpressCard/34 video-card, to add a third monitor (something like the Village Tronic VTBook 1.6.2 PCMCIA-Card)?
I'm not aware of something like the VTBook - there's this which contains a normal graphics card and connects via ExpressCard. The eGPU setup I am playing with is basically the same deal, but without the nice case and a lot cheaper.

Maybe the Village Tronic VTBook could be attaches with this ExpressCard-To-CardBus-adapter? (I'm gonna check that!
I've just checked the latest OS X driver for the VTBook - it's compiled for PowerPC only :(

vtbook.png

Would be great to have two of the Acrylic Cinema Displays attached to the Macbook!)

You can do that using a Matrox DualHead2Go. I've tested it on a 2006 MBP with two acrylic 23s. Works fine, although the MBP sees one giant 3840×1200 screen so the displays have to be positioned right next to each other for it to "work".

Reactions: bobesch

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
I'll post pics 'n' stuff once my 17" MBP arrives :)

So here it is:

DSC_0671 (1).JPG

A1151 - 2.16 GHz Core Duo - 2 GB RAM. It came without a hard drive or battery but only cost 17 bucks including shipping and included a genuine 85W power brick.

Unfortunately, it (like my recently purchased Core Duo Mini) was thrown into the box without any packaging material whatsoever and it shows :(

DSC_0672.JPG

Cracked logo...

DSC_0668 (1).JPG

DSC_0669 (1).JPG

DSC_0670.JPG

...bent casing. I've since succeeded in bending it somewhat back to shape so it doesn't look as bad as it did on these pictures and the lid latches correctly again.

DSC_0665 (1).JPG

A little dirty but not shockingly so. Right now I've superficially cleaned it and installed a 320GB 5400rpm spinner. An SSD and battery have been ordered and I'll do a full teardown, thorough cleaning and new thermal paste when those are here.

Interesting tidbit: the original serial indicates this was built in week 24, 2006 but there's an "Apple Certified Reconditioned" sticker with a date of 2006/10/25 and the logic board has been replaced as the serial on the RAM sticker is different and indicates a build date of week 20, 2006. I want to believe this was done to fix the X1600 solder issues but we'll see.

DSC_0666 (1).JPG

I decided to remove the black "lightblocking tape" on the speaker grilles because @miksat mentioned this tremendously improved temperatures on his Core Duo MBP.

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
So here it is:

View attachment 918058

A1151 - 2.16 GHz Core Duo - 2 GB RAM. It came without a hard drive or battery but only cost 17 bucks including shipping and included a genuine 85W power brick.

Unfortunately, it (like my recently purchased Core Duo Mini) was thrown into the box without any packaging material whatsoever and it shows :(

View attachment 918059

Cracked logo...

View attachment 918060

View attachment 918061

View attachment 918062

...bent casing. I've since succeeded in bending it somewhat back to shape so it doesn't look as bad as it did on these pictures and the lid latches correctly again.

View attachment 918064

A little dirty but not shockingly so. Right now I've superficially cleaned it and installed a 320GB 5400rpm spinner. An SSD and battery have been ordered and I'll do a full teardown, thorough cleaning and new thermal paste when those are here.

Interesting tidbit: the original serial indicates this was built in week 24, 2006 but there's an "Apple Certified Reconditioned" sticker with a date of 2006/10/25 and the logic board has been replaced as the serial on the RAM sticker is different and indicates a build date of week 20, 2006. I want to believe this was done to fix the X1600 solder issues but we'll see.

View attachment 918068

I decided to remove the black "lightblocking tape" on the speaker grilles because @mikiotty mentioned this tremendously improved temperatures on his Core Duo MBP.
Congrats and welcome to Club 17!

We share the same model 17" MBP!

Reactions: Amethyst1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.