Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
So here it is:

View attachment 918058

A1151 - 2.16 GHz Core Duo - 2 GB RAM. It came without a hard drive or battery but only cost 17 bucks including shipping and included a genuine 85W power brick.

Unfortunately, it (like my recently purchased Core Duo Mini) was thrown into the box without any packaging material whatsoever and it shows :(

View attachment 918059

Cracked logo...

View attachment 918060

View attachment 918061

View attachment 918062

...bent casing. I've since succeeded in bending it somewhat back to shape so it doesn't look as bad as it did on these pictures and the lid latches correctly again.

View attachment 918064

A little dirty but not shockingly so. Right now I've superficially cleaned it and installed a 320GB 5400rpm spinner. An SSD and battery have been ordered and I'll do a full teardown, thorough cleaning and new thermal paste when those are here.

Interesting tidbit: the original serial indicates this was built in week 24, 2006 but there's an "Apple Certified Reconditioned" sticker with a date of 2006/10/25 and the logic board has been replaced as the serial on the RAM sticker is different and indicates a build date of week 20, 2006. I want to believe this was done to fix the X1600 solder issues but we'll see.

View attachment 918068

I decided to remove the black "lightblocking tape" on the speaker grilles because @miksat mentioned this tremendously improved temperatures on his Core Duo MBP.

NICE!

This makes me want to finally cobble up the scratch to send my A1261’s board over the border to @dosdude1 for a GPU transplant, cos it’s a terrible shame to just see a hi-res glossy 2.5GHz 17" MBP filed away with all my other incomplete laptop repair projects and not getting the usage it absolutely deserves.

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
@CooperBox I would say go for it. If the batteries are like for the early 2008 non-unibody MBP's mine was very easy to pry open and you could always recell them. Well they are using li-on packs not 18650 cells bit maybe even easier to handle.

You mean, 2006 model MacBook Pro ? I tried one and it didn't work. It fit though.

RogerWilco6502

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2019
Tír na nÓg
Ok, so I got the PowerBook :D

It seems to be struggling a little however. First of all the trackpad doesn't work in the OF boot picker (do the multitouch trackpads have issues with this?).

Its SSD isn't showing up while in Target Disk Mode? I plugged it into my Power Mac just to copy files from it and it isn't showing up at all.

It also was booting from the drive with limited success, but I think I only made things worse cuz by formatting the partition with the installation on it, I have only made it so that I don't have any bootable installation of Mac OS X.

Anyone know the solutions to any of these issues?

Reactions: Amethyst1

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Its SSD isn't showing up while in Target Disk Mode? I plugged it into my Power Mac just to copy files from it and it isn't showing up at all.

Is it an msata in an adapter? I'd check the master/slave/cable-select jumper - IIRC cable-select is problematic. SSD should be master, DVD slave.

Reactions: RogerWilco6502

RogerWilco6502

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2019
Tír na nÓg
Researched some more - it looks like either a manual master/slave setting or having both drives on cable select is the way to go, so I'd try both to be sure.
Ok, thanks for the update! Idk when I'll open this up, as I'm still recovering from my iBook SSD upgrade. I'll be sure to keep in mind what you found. :)

Reactions: Amethyst1

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Oh, ok! Thanks for the info :D

I have worked on a 15" MBP, I just wasn't sure if they were similar at all or not in anything other than looks. :)
The thing about 17s is that there is a lot of SPACE inside to work.

Pull battery, remove ram cover and disconnect ribbon cable. Pull case screws and the two screws around the ram sticks and then remove the top. You now have access to everything, meaning you don't have to remove major parts to get to minor parts. It's all right there.

The hardest part is managing all the tiny screws on the side and the one stubby, flat screw that's close to the latch inside the battery bay (the magnet tends to want to grab at it).

The 15s and the 12s are way harder.

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I hear you. When I put an SSD in my A1150 this nearly drove me crazy.
Yeah, fortunately I've learned how to grab the damn thing whenever it slips. I've also learned how to work it.

What I do is drop it into the hole and then hold it down with my left thumb/thumbnail, leaving enough space so I can work the screwdriver in. Once I can do that, then I can hold it in using the screwdriver and screw it down. It's awkward, but I've become a bit adept at it. The alternative is trying to get it in using just the screwdriver and invariably the magnet wins.

Reactions: RogerWilco6502

RogerWilco6502

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2019
Tír na nÓg
The thing about 17s is that there is a lot of SPACE inside to work.

Pull battery, remove ram cover and disconnect ribbon cable. Pull case screws and the two screws around the ram sticks and then remove the top. You now have access to everything, meaning you don't have to remove major parts to get to minor parts. It's all right there.

The hardest part is managing all the tiny screws on the side and the one stubby, flat screw that's close to the latch inside the battery bay (the magnet tends to want to grab at it).

The 15s and the 12s are way harder.
Ah, ok, cool! Thanks for the info! Yeah, the 15" isn't too bad, but it isn't the best either. I'm glad the 17" has much more space. I do love the design where the entire keyboard and palm rest comes of to reveal everything.

Reactions: eyoungren

dbdjre0143

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2017
West Virginia
Figured I'd post this one more time in here...
I still have my dead-lobo 17" DLSD laying around (mostly disassembled) that I was holding onto in case anyone wanted parts. It's been almost 3 years now though, and I'm gathering up electronics for recycling, so if anyone wants anything, please private message me, and you can have parts for cost of shipping. The screen worked great until the lobo croaked, and so did the keyboard/trackpad if anyone needs any of the "big" parts. I hate to just recycle good parts like that, but I can only leave a torn down laptop laying in the spare bedroom for so long.
Plus, my motivation to clean out some things is at an all-time high since the wife and I are expecting. :)

RogerWilco6502

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2019
Tír na nÓg
Well, here's the final product! Both a picture of the machine and a screenshot are attached. :D
image0.jpg
YoumuLeo.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.