Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theMarble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2020
Earth, Sol System, Alpha Quadrant
One of the key physical differences I noted between my PB and my MBP is that although both are 17", the MBP is slightly wider than the PB. But the PB is slightly deeper (front of PB to rear of PB) than the MBP.

Of course, the MBP is also LIGHTER. ;)
It's surprising how much lighter the 17" can get when you remove the battery from it, it's a good bit heavier than my 15" batteries. Although you'd want to keep the battery in if it had an life in it left, my 17" battery was in great condition, 30 cycles, charged to 100% and then after a few days crazily expanded so much that it was a huge fire hazard. I don't have any photos of it as I've safely recycled it but it looked similar to this:

download.jpeg

Alex_K

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2019
Finally got my membership card! Thought I'd never find a PowerBook 17 inch at a decent price. But one came up on Ebay for £50 Buy it now a few weeks ago. The seller said the DVD drive was not working but when it turned up, the drive seemed to work fine, and I installed Leopard on it. The laptop is in great condition. No bumps or dents at all. The battery even holds a charge. It's the high res version with a 1.67GHz G4 cpu. Love it.

club-17.jpg

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
Finally got my membership card! Thought I'd never find a PowerBook 17 inch at a decent price. But one came up on Ebay for £50 Buy it now a few weeks ago. The seller said the DVD drive was not working but when it turned up, the drive seemed to work fine, and I installed Leopard on it. The laptop is in great condition. No bumps or dents at all. The battery even holds a charge. It's the high res version with a 1.67GHz G4 cpu. Love it.

View attachment 1828056
Congrats on that find, rare config of this as well so you did very good. I'd love to get this model but the only one on eBay in NA is going for a grand...

Reactions: Alex_K

DouglasCarroll

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2016
Congrats on that find, rare config of this as well so you did very good. I'd love to get this model but the only one on eBay in NA is going for a grand...
Hi,

FYI…

I’ve got a 17” Powerbook G4 1.67GHz with 2 gigs of ram and a 225GB OWC SSD i stalled in excellent shape that I’m looking to sell if anyone is interested. I know it needs a new p-ram battery and I wouldn’t guarantee how long the Main battery will last due to it’s age but aside from that it’s very clean.

Was my personal machine but I just don’t use it anymore…did finally find a replacement battery though!

?

DouglasCarroll

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2016
Hi,

FYI…

I’ve got a 17” Powerbook G4 1.67GHz with 2 gigs of ram and a 225GB OWC SSD i stalled in excellent shape that I’m looking to sell if anyone is interested. I know it needs a new p-ram battery and I wouldn’t guarantee how long the Main battery will last due to it’s age but aside from that it’s very clean.

Was my personal machine but I just don’t use it anymore…did finally find a replacement battery though!

?
Oh yes, I forgot, it’s the high res model at 1680 x 1050

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
Hi,

FYI…

?
Sent you a PM.

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Despite all good resolution on New Years Eve this weekend I got carried away by the occasion of an "emerald" 17" MBP3,1 A1229 SantaRosa with 500GB SSD and new battery ... 🤩
Seller kindly added a picture of the RAM-bench on request, and voilà: the green dot of resurrection.
I'm pretty excited about the Book to be delivered.
Since @dosdude1 's patched do not work for the MBP3,1 , is there any way to get beyond the officially supported ElCapitan?

Attachments

• 17"SantaRosa.jpg
    17"SantaRosa.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 98
  • 17"SantaRosaGreenDot.jpg
    17"SantaRosaGreenDot.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 94

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Congrats on joining the elusive "EmeraldBook3,1" club :)

is there any way to get beyond the officially supported ElCapitan?
Not to my knowledge. Sierra and up require SSE4.1 instructions that the CPU lacks, and a way to get around that hasn't been found yet AFAIK... apart from sending it to dosdude1 for a Penryn CPU upgrade, that is :D

Last edited:

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
Got mine on Jan 20. It's a 2003 1.33GHz with 1Gb RAM, running Tiger.

I only got it to make a complete family of G4 AlBooks since I already had a 12 and 15, but it has such a good feel to it that I have put it to use. And it actually weighs the same as my PowerBook 145, so it's not too heavy on the lap... though it does get quite warm!

Photo to follow... hopefully!

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Congrats on joining the elusive "EmeraldBook3,1" club :)

Not to my knowledge. Sierra and up require SSE4.1 instructions that the CPU lacks, and a way to get around that hasn't been found yet AFAIK... apart from sending it to dosdude1 for a Penryn CPU upgrade, that is :D
Oh, I think I'm going for Tiger and a bunch of Virtual Machines ...
I guess that will be good fun!
And any slim Linux-Distro for sandboxed surfing the web.

Reactions: Amethyst1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.