Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jades

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 15, 2012
How many times have you been typing up an email or finishing up a message and then a call (mostly spam) just pops up? And half the time the call gets accidentally answered. Maybe an early Christmas present this year to resolve this? Android has solved it for years now.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

snow755

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
sounds like you need Robokiller app it may be $30 but it works really well

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It can help decrease unwanted/spam calls, but it wouldn't really address the actual underlying issue (in a sense) that is being described.

Jades

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 15, 2012
Even valid calls that come in - there should be no reason that it is hijacking the entire screen. Especially when trying to type or finish a message, this can be extremely inconvenient when you press the green button by mistake, especially when you don't want to answer that call.

Jason B

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2010
THis has been a problem forever. If you jailbreak it, no problem, they have a fix, But I lost that JB with the iphone xs.

Reactions: alvindarkness

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Why are you getting so many spam calls? Must be a USA thing? I get like one a year in australia..
One of those different things in different countries type of things it seems. That said, it seems like that's a tangential thing as far as what's all this about -- the OP really didn't even need to mention it as it doesn't have much to do with the actual topic, and kind of keeps on taking attention away from it.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018

I had to give Robokiller the boot. I was on a call with Chase and they needed to call me back. I couldn't figure out what was taking so long and it turns out that Robokiller was intercepting the calls. Even worse, I had it set to play a random long conversation recording so each time the guy called he thought he was talking to a different person. When I realized what was happening I had to call them back and explain the whole situation to a skeptical agent. Ugh.

Why are you getting so many spam calls? Must be a USA thing? I get like one a year in australia..

"Robocalls in the US have reached an all-time high, with an estimated 147 million spam calls being made per day."

Reactions: -BigMac-

Minorite

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2018
Poland
Full screen incommingcalls and volume control in the middle of the screen will be fixed with Cthulhu awakening, not earlier. Heap of feedback sent to Apple for a long time by millions of people, and no result so far...

OLDGUYWITHAHIFI

Suspended
Nov 14, 2018

Ha. I have over 100 blocked phone numbers from spam for credit cards, debt consolidator programs, mortgage programs, real estate agents, lot's of auto glass providers, home health benefits, Windows "security team" letting me know my PC is compromised (I don't own a PC). It get's crazy at times. Lately it has been a bunch of guys with names like Kevin, Jason, or David, from "Home Health Benefits". They all sound like they are form India, and their numbers are spoofed.

Reactions: Azathoth123

Azathoth123

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2018
Fountain City
Ha. I have over 100 blocked phone numbers from spam for credit cards, debt consolidator programs, mortgage programs, real estate agents, lot's of auto glass providers, home health benefits, Windows "security team" letting me know my PC is compromised (I don't own a PC). It get's crazy at times. Lately it has been a bunch of guys with names like Kevin, Jason, or David, from "Home Health Benefits". They all sound like they are form India, and their numbers are spoofed.

You know if your user name is ‘oldguywithahifi’ that might explain that home health spam! Lol. My mother, may she RIP, passed away in 1979 and people are still trying to sell her hearing aids.

Reactions: OLDGUYWITHAHIFI

killhippie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2016
UK
Yes, the phone function is the least used feature on my iPhones from the very first one on.
Its the most used function on my phone, because its is a phone. I don't use social media like snapchat, Instagram, Facebook, twitter etc. I either text/iMessage or more often than not make a call. I like to utilise that old fashioned verbal communication function that phones have. I detest typing on smartphones (I was so much faster typing using a Nokia with T9 predictive text) Also Siri once thought I lived in "bugger Island" when I used dictation, luckily the other person found that immensely funny. So a call tends to get things done just fine and it adds the ability to every now explain to someone what you actually meant in the text you sent them, rather than what they perceived you meant based on the kind of day they were having at the time. ;)

Reactions: Tig Bitties

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
How many times have you been typing up an email or finishing up a message and then a call (mostly spam) just pops up? And half the time the call gets accidentally answered. Maybe an early Christmas present this year to resolve this? Android has solved it for years now.
One swipe to the right at the bottom of the screen and you’re back where you were before the call.

OLDGUYWITHAHIFI

Suspended
Nov 14, 2018
You know if your user name is ‘oldguywithahifi’ that might explain that home health spam! Lol. My mother, may she RIP, passed away in 1979 and people are still trying to sell her hearing aids.

Good point. I'm in my early 50's, and also get advertisements for hearing aids, medicare, and AARP. I think they are jumping the gun a bit. Sorry about you mom.

laszlo182

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2013
Bratislava, Slovakia
You can always decline right? :D

Reactions: kazmac

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
One swipe to the right at the bottom of the screen and you’re back where you were before the call.

You can always decline right? :D
Seems like part of the point there is that if the call comes in whole you are in the middle of doing something you can already accidentally accept it without even fully realizing it given that it just takes over the screen as you are doing something on it and might be in the middle of typing or tapping in something as part of a game.

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
I like how my Samsung does it for work. You can CHOOSE to just have a banner with the accept and declined button on top if the phone is unlocked or you can simple swipe it away.

iOS does have banners, not sure why it doesn’t have it for calls too

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.