Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
How many times have you been typing up an email or finishing up a message and then a call (mostly spam) just pops up? And half the time the call gets accidentally answered. Maybe an early Christmas present this year to resolve this? Android has solved it for years now.

As mentioned above, pressing Decline works well. It’s no issue to block the number.

Jades

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 15, 2012
As mentioned above, pressing Decline works well. It’s no issue to block the number.
It doesn’t work well. Sometimes you want to let the call ring through. Watching a movie or playing a game, it’s distruptive. No reason it should hijack the entire screen on an iPad, especially with all that real estate.

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland

Unfortunately "decline" doesn't always do the job. It sends the caller to voicemail (or to a busy signal, depending on your carrier settings), which is not desirable because then they would know that you declined.

If I'm watching a movie and I decline, the caller knows that I, well, declined. And tries again. And again. Then I come across as rude.

If I could just swipe the banner away and let it ring through, the caller would remain with the doubt that maybe I just didn't hear the phone, or whatever. I guess it's a cultural thing.

My iPhone has the word "phone" in it, but I don't use it as a phone really. For me it's a portable computer which happens to also be able to make phone calls. I think I will migrate to a data-only SIM at some point. That's what I already kind of do today: I divert my phone number to a VoIP account which then "rings" in the Acrobits Groundwire app (with Callkit disabled). There I can just swipe the banner away and I'm good. It's an ugly workaround, but it works.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Also as mentioned in some earlier posts it doesn't quite work when the call comes in the middle of you doing something in the sceen, like typing or playing a game, and you already accidentally press something like accept simply because you are already using the screen as it just comes up on it taking over it.

AnthonyG6

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2017
The biggest issue of this tyoe for me is when you are in the middle of recording a video or taking a photo and a call interupts the whole thing! Somethings only happen once in a lifetime and if you are trying to record a video of said thing and the phone rings, that moment is lost forever never to be repeated again!

Reactions: Belvoire

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
Less intrusive incoming call notifications...
I could get onboard with that. In my case I'd say actually talking on my iPhone is maybe 10% of what I use it for. I'd welcome this change.

TheLocNar

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2017
The biggest issue of this tyoe for me is when you are in the middle of recording a video or taking a photo and a call interupts the whole thing! Somethings only happen once in a lifetime and if you are trying to record a video of said thing and the phone rings, that moment is lost forever never to be repeated again!

Use Do Not Disturb. ;)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Use Do Not Disturb. ;)
A workaround of sorts, but certainly not a great one in the sense of someone having to remember to do it and actually going to do it each time they might want to record something, and if they have to record something that's happening right then and there and timing matters (as was pointed out in the post) wasting even more time to go to enable DND beforehand is certainly not going to be of that much help.

alvindarkness

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2009
Why are you getting so many spam calls? Must be a USA thing? I get like one a year in australia..

In Melbourne also. Dont know who I gave my number to that I shouldnt have, but I get at least one a day (all from Indian call centers). Its so bad I'm just gonna change my phone number of over 10 years to something else.

Reactions: -BigMac-

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
In Melbourne also. Dont know who I gave my number to that I shouldnt have, but I get at least one a day (all from Indian call centers). Its so bad I'm just gonna change my phone number of over 10 years to something else.
I wouldn't go that route. I recently changed my number and now get more spam calls and texts than I ever did on my old number.

Reactions: -BigMac-

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
I just never pick up numbers I dont know. They get bored eventually and the cycle stops

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Agree, but that's when judicious use of Do Not Disturb works well.

For the spam aspect of this, the Hiya app (free I believe) works wonders.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

I wouldn't go that route. I recently changed my number and now get more spam calls and texts than I ever did on my old number.

I just never pick up numbers I dont know. They get bored eventually and the cycle stops
Unfortunately that doesn't really change the main part of it all where the just take over the whole screen suddenly.

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
You want your iPhone to stop acting like a phone? Why don’t you just get an iPad then.
Do they make an iPad with the same size as an iPhone? Some people are hearing impaired and cannot use a phone, so it would be nice if the phone would never accept phone calls.

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
I like how my Samsung does it for work. You can CHOOSE to just have a banner with the accept and declined button on top if the phone is unlocked or you can simple swipe it away.

iOS does have banners, not sure why it doesn’t have it for calls too
I think this would be the best solution.

When you get a call while ON THE HOME SCREEN you have the call screen full screen, but your home bar is showing at the bottom. Swiping up on that moves the screen into a banner notification with accept/decline buttons. Then you should, ontop of that, get the option to dismiss/swipe the notification up to silent it (it still rings and is visible in your notification center as the banner alert OR via the green highlight on your clock you can click).

If you‘re doing something with your phone (in an app) it should directly go to the banner notification at the top instead of taking up the full screen.

The same should work for lock screen call alerts: swipe up to go to the home screen with a banner notification at the top representing the call.

An issue that sounds so mind boggling easy to solve.

Artakamoose

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2016
Bay Area

I’ve had this happen several times. It’s absolutely infuriating.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Unfortunately that doesn't really change the main part of it all where the just take over the whole screen suddenly.
I get what the thread is discussing. Your comment is completely unrelated to the post to which I was replying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.