Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
The definitive way to understand the difference between 4,1 and 5,1 is at everyman.com. They are largely the same, but with some differences. And, you can't swap logic boards or backplanes between them.
They are greatly expandable and still reasonably performant. There are new and used components available. You can look on Ebay to get an idea of memory/CPU prices. Your favorite reseller for a metal-capable GPU.

Reactions: oliverc

gwieczorek

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2020
Krakov|Poland
Hi
is this firmware upgrade related only to backplane of 4.1?

i mean what if i upgrade single cpu MP_4,1 to 5,1 then few weeks or months later will buy dual cpu board (smc ~f5) pulled from not flashed machine?

should i expect problems/miscompatibility?

thanks

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Hi
is this firmware upgrade related only to backplane of 4.1?

i mean what if i upgrade single cpu MP_4,1 to 5,1 then few weeks or months later will buy dual cpu board (smc ~f5) pulled from not flashed machine?

should i expect problems/miscompatibility?

thanks
There are several firmwares on a Mac Pro. You have to be aware of two different ones, the BootROM and the two SMC microcontroller firmwares.

The BootROM is located on the backplane, it's upgradable and stored on a SPI flash memory. This is the one that you cross-flash from a MP4,1 to a MP5,1.

CPU trays don't have BootROMs or any firmware at all besides the SMC firmware.

There are two SMCs, one on the backplane and one on the CPU tray. The SMC microcontroller firmware is not user or technician upgradeable and you can't mix-match SMC versions, the SMC on the backplane has to be the same one as the CPU tray.

Early-2009 SMC is 1.39f5, while mid-2010/mid-2012 are 1.39f11. Since you can't upgrade it, you have to buy a tray that correspond to the backplane you have. An early-2009 backplane requires an early-2009 CPU tray.

gwieczorek

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2020
Krakov|Poland
Done :)
about hardware - only one hdd (but not from apple just WDC from typical PCshop) two partitions 10.7 +10.6 this hdd was pulled from my 1.1
no optical drive, memory fron kingston KTA-MP~~~~ (4x4GB)
extremly old keyboard from macally (does anybody remember the one with design similar to first imacs g3?)
logitech mice
graphic card from apple GF120

i did it under 10.7 - ive copied app from netkas to aplications folder mount the dmg from apple and start

at the first attempt i got error 5530 - system date was set to jan2013 and when i set it to present and start the app again everything went perfect

Strange: after reboot 10.6.8 started and apear small window with message about memory ... whats that?!
Screen Shot 2020-09-12 at 20.18.02.png
Screen Shot 2020-09-12 at 20.18.30.png

Screen shot 2020-09-12 at 8.12.00 PM.png

streak8047

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2019
I have one dual CPU tray 639-1060 ,does it support 2009 4.1 Logic Board (631-1009 EEE code-7A1) logic Board will support this tray,Already has a 2012 Macpro Case with Power supply ,am plan to fix 2009 logic on the Macpro 2012 Case,Please advice can use 2012 PSU can use with 2009 Logic Board & CPU tray 631-1009 compatibility on 2009 Macpro Model.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
All Mac Pro parts are interchangeable between early-2009 and mid-2010/mid-2012 EXCEPT the backplane and CPU tray. An early 2009 backplane has to matched with an early 2009 CPU tray. Anything else can be used between the three model years.

You can install an early-2009 backplane and an early-2009 CPU tray pair inside a mid-2012 case, don't matter. Vice-versa too.

Reactions: streak8047

streak8047

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2019
All Mac Pro parts are interchangeable between early-2009 and mid-2010/mid-2012 EXCEPT the backplane and CPU tray. An early 2009 backplane has to matched with an early 2009 CPU tray. Anything else can be used between the three model years.

You can install an early-2009 backplane and an early-2009 CPU tray pair inside a mid-2012 case, don't matter. Vice-versa too.
@tsialex thanks for the reply,can test Logic Board & CPU tray outside the Cabin just for the Purpose of test.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
@tsialex thanks for the reply,can test Logic Board & CPU tray outside the Cabin just for the Purpose of test.

Too risky, but some people do it anyway.

I never do it outside, the backplane/CPU tray connector pair is absurdly easy to damage, I'll always install the backplane and then test the CPU tray without installing the CPU tray cage.

Reactions: streak8047

gwoog

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2018
My cMP 4.1 has a problem with both x4 pcie slots. The x16 work fine, but no connection on the two upper slots. I have firmware upgraded it, and installed two 5690 and it runs Mojave. No other problems besides the pcie problem. Any suggestions? I have tried to connect several cards, but no go. They only appear when I place them in the lower two slots.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
My cMP 4.1 has a problem with both x4 pcie slots. The x16 work fine, but no connection on the two upper slots. I have firmware upgraded it, and installed two 5690 and it runs Mojave. No other problems besides the pcie problem. Any suggestions? I have tried to connect several cards, but no go. They only appear when I place them in the lower two slots.
Seems you have a burned PCIe switch, rare but happens. Start looking for a replacement backplane (630-9399), you can get one early-2009 backplane for less than US$ 100 if you take your time.

Reactions: gwoog

gwoog

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2018
Thanks?! The slots get electricity. When I connect my USB 3 card or/and NVME adapter they both light up, but they’re not visible on the computer. If I plug a disc to the USB card it draws power, but unfortunately no connection. Strange...
But if it is the backplane i’m not sure if i want to throw more money in to this machine?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Thanks?! The slots get electricity. When I connect my USB 3 card or/and NVME adapter they both light up, but they’re not visible on the computer. If I plug a disc to the USB card it draws power, but unfortunately no connection. Strange...
But if it is the backplane i’m not sure if i want to throw more money in to this machine?
You can have PCIe power without any data when the PCIe switch is defective. While the power lines of the PCIe slots 3 and 4 are routed to the backplane power circuit, the data lines are routed first to the PCIe switch, the big IDT retangular chip in front of slots 3 and 4.

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
I have a 4.1 Board that does exactly the same, did some ruff measuring to find some blown fuses or traces but nothing, guess the switch is gone south, as Alex mentioned.

Manek43509

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2010
Norwich, UK
I know there's a lot of talk on here about USB 3 in Mac Pros, but if I just wanted a couple of extra USB 2.0 ports and I happened to have a USB 2.0 PCIe card just kicking around… Would that just work? Are there any restrictions on what cards would work in a Mac Pro 5,1 for USB 2.0?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I know there's a lot of talk on here about USB 3 in Mac Pros, but if I just wanted a couple of extra USB 2.0 ports and I happened to have a USB 2.0 PCIe card just kicking around… Would that just work? Are there any restrictions on what cards would work in a Mac Pro 5,1 for USB 2.0?
Only cards that have driver/kext support will work. Some controllers only work up to El Capitan, like NEC controllers.

Btw, third party USB cards don't work at pre-boot time, so no keyboard/mouse working with the 3rd party before macOS loading the kext or external boot from 3rd party USB controllers.

Reactions: octoviaa

Manek43509

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2010
Norwich, UK
Only cards that have driver/kext support will work. Some controllers only work up to El Capitan, like NEC controllers.

Btw, third party USB cards don't work at pre-boot time, so no keyboard/mouse working with the 3rd party before macOS loading the kext or external boot from 3rd party USB controllers.
Cool thanks, that makes sense! I'll check what cards I've got hanging around…

Manek43509

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2010
Norwich, UK

This is the first one I have found, but I'm not even sure what make/model that is!
IMG_6969.JPG
IMG_6968.JPG

xy-maps

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2018
Hi, I wanted to swap my old Sapphire RX580 Nitro+ for a RX 5700 XT but have the problem that the PSU fan spins up to maximum for a few minutes on startup.

I use the Pixlas mod and OpenCore in an old 4.1 (flashed to 5.1) with Catalina. I also uninstalled also all harddrives, the DVD drive and I'm just using a single NVMe in Slot 4 (the grafics card is in slot 1).

I tested it with a Sapphire RX 5700 XT Nitro+ (Silent Bios, 2x 8Pin Connector) and the power saving and alot smaller PowerColor RX 5700 XT Dual Fan (1x8Pin + 1x6Pin).
With both cards the fan spins full speed up, but when I reinstall the old RX580 the fan stays at "normal" speed. Both cards are of course already power hungry but I have not read from others that they had problems with the fans especially with the Rx5700 XT Nitro +.

I think this is not good for the fan and the noise development is quite annoying.
Could this be a problem with the Pixlas mod or OpenCore? Someone got the same experince?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Hi, I wanted to swap my old Sapphire RX580 Nitro+ for a RX 5700 XT but have the problem that the PSU fan spins up to maximum for a few minutes on startup.

I use the Pixlas mod and OpenCore in an old 4.1 (flashed to 5.1) with Catalina. I also uninstalled also all harddrives, the DVD drive and I'm just using a single NVMe in Slot 4 (the grafics card is in slot 1).

I tested it with a Sapphire RX 5700 XT Nitro+ (Silent Bios, 2x 8Pin Connector) and the power saving and alot smaller PowerColor RX 5700 XT Dual Fan (1x8Pin + 1x6Pin).
With both cards the fan spins full speed up, but when I reinstall the old RX580 the fan stays at "normal" speed. Both cards are of course already power hungry but I have not read from others that they had problems with the fans especially with the Rx5700 XT Nitro +.

I think this is not good for the fan and the noise development is quite annoying.
Could this be a problem with the Pixlas mod or OpenCore? Someone got the same experince?

ripop

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2021
Just wanted to say 'thanks' for this forum and these threads. A week ago I tried to start coding a Flutter app on my 5,1 running Mojave, and realized I needed xcode12... so I need Catalina+. Now, a week later, I'm running Big Sur with new BT+Wifi card installed, OpenCore, and my main drive moved to NVMe. Super happy to have breathed new life into my machine and couldn't have done it without the posts here and on greggrant's blog. Thanks all!

Stex

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2021
NYC
To the forum member(s) managing this sticky thread: I'd like to suggest adding categories for "Temperature Management" and "Fan Upgrades" (rename them as needed/preferred). Both of these categories are quite important for CPU upgrades and other hardware upgrades (RAM and GPU too!) Newbies would benefit from having quick access to some informative threads about best practices to monitor and manage temperatures. The following links are base on my recent research done after my CPU upgrades. I am sure there more threads that could be added but these seem to be a good start. Thanks.

Temperature Management

Fan Upgrades

Last edited:

Otamin

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2020
London
My Mac Pro 4,1 is currently stuck on El Capitan so I'm wanting to flash it to 5,1 to upgrade it.

Since the GPU I put in it a while back is an Nvidia GTX 660, am I right in thinking that High Sierra is the highest I can update to?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.