Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
One can remember:

The CPU on a Single CPU Board is more in rear position

on a Dual Board the 2nd CPU is near the front of the case.

I do not think of delta CPU A - CPU B

I think of the deltas between diode and heatsink, the OP had a larger delta of diode and heatsink on one of the Xeons.

Maybe because of a too high Rth caused by bad thermal contact between CPU die and heatsink

tommy chen

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2018
this is TGpro (50% off now)

and i have set the fans manually to assume a low temperature when used and therefore the computer gets into temperature problems much later or not at all.

this has also proved to be a good solution for room temperatures of 35 degrees and more in summer.

Screenshot 2020-04-09 at 13.07.25.jpg
Screenshot 2020-04-09 at 13.07.25.jpg

foonon

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2007
One can remember:

The CPU on a Single CPU Board is more in rear position

on a Dual Board the 2nd CPU is near the front of the case.

I do not think of delta CPU A - CPU B

I think of the deltas between diode and heatsink, the OP had a larger delta of diode and heatsink on one of the Xeons.

Maybe because of a too high Rth caused by bad thermal contact between CPU die and heatsink

Yes, I see this now.

I've played with my fan speeds and I cannot narrow that 10C gap.

Since my CPUs are delidded (No spellcheck! Not "deluded"!) I'll try tightening the CPU B heatsink 1/8th of a turn or so on each screw. If that doesn't help, I'll re-apply the thermal paste. I still have some from the kit I used to upgrade the CPUs last summer. How long does that stuff keep? Does it go bad after its been opened?

Sound like a plan? Or is this much ado about nothing?

~f

Taylor Walraven

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2020
I came across what seemed like a good deal on a Mac Pro 5,1. The problem is that it the original owner refurbished it before he sold it to me. I believe it started life as one of these:

He upgraded the ram with 2x8GB modules (not bad) and installed Catalina OS. He didn't upgrade the graphics card, nor did he update the Boot ROM, it is MP51.0089.B00.

I'm returning to Mac, haven't used one regularly in 25 years, but I decided it was right move.

I've done a lot of reading: the stickied threads are great. I'm definitely a Mac noob, but it seems like Catalina on that boot ROM version isn't possible. What gives?

I'd like to do some hardware upgrades and bring it to an up-to-date-vanilla state. That's Mojave, right?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I came across what seemed like a good deal on a Mac Pro 5,1. The problem is that it the original owner refurbished it before he sold it to me. I believe it started life as one of these:

He upgraded the ram with 2x8GB modules (not bad) and installed Catalina OS. He didn't upgrade the graphics card, nor did he update the Boot ROM, it is MP51.0089.B00.

I'm returning to Mac, haven't used one regularly in 25 years, but I decided it was right move.

I've done a lot of reading: the stickied threads are great. I'm definitely a Mac noob, but it seems like Catalina on that boot ROM version isn't possible. What gives?

I'd like to do some hardware upgrades and bring it to an up-to-date-vanilla state. That's Mojave, right?
Mac Pro mid-2010 or mid-2012, MP5,1, are not Catalina supported anymore, Apple removed support. If you want Catalina, you have to make it work. There are several ways, some are simpler, some are more complex but permit that you run un-patched Catalina with a MP5,1.

You probably have a hacked install on your Mac Pro, since for using un-patched you need 144.0.0.0.0. Anyway read the first post of the thread:

You need to start from High Sierra.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Aren't they called CPU A and CPU B normally (and by Apple too)?
What is the software used in above screenshots? It's calling those CPU 1 & 2, and all this is a little bit confusing now because of that. What do they correspond to? If A=1 and B=2 then the temperatures are the opposite from most other users experiences and measurements.

CPU A gets hot air from ram sticks installed in the front of it and from north bridge at the middle of the board, in front of CPU A, and it gets a little bit hot from CPU B too because of their placement in there (see pic). So the board installed in it's place inside the Mac Pro, CPU B is the one in front of the machine, and CPU A is at the rear side of the case.

Please see pics.
View attachment 904180
View attachment 904179
Remove the black plastic retainer.

foonon

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2007
Does the "Apple Hardware Test" that came with the original 2009 Mac Pro have any value if one has updated the firmware to 5,1, updated the boot ROM, and installed a pair of X5680 CPUs?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Forgive me for being thick, but what will that buy me?
For self delidded CPU, the silicon seal residual may lift the plastic retainer a bit, which increase the gap between the die and the heatsink, significantly decrease the cooling performance (heat cannot transfer to the heatsink. That's why there is a large temperature difference between you CPU diode and heatsink)

krishnaM

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2014
Why is "OpenCore" not included in the upgrade list? Is it not ready/stable yet for novice users like me? I am using Mojave currently but eventually may have to move to Catalina or other future osx

Last edited:

jvlfilms

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2007
Staten Island, NY
Kind of having a weird issue with my dual booting between macOS and Windows 10 and I figured someone here could help me out.

I have a cMP 4,1 that I recently firmware flashed/updated to 144. With that, I have a PCIE SSD with a fresh install of High Sierra, a new RX 580 and another SSD which I have through the SATA port for Windows 10. I took out the macOS drive before installing Win10 just to make sure I didn’t accidentally wipe it.

I installed Win10 via DVD and had everything set up almost perfectly. When I put in the SSD PCIE drive though, I was getting a ”bless error” when trying to select the Windows drive to start up in High Sierra. Eventually I decided to reset the PRAM and was able to seamlessly switch between macOS HS and Win10.

I’ve been staying mostly in Windows for the past week, but today I switched into macOS (no hardware changes) and when booting I was presented with a white screen - just that, no Apple logo. I couldn’t really do anything so I held down the power button and restarted - same thing happened. So I decided to just wait a little longer this time and right when I pressed the power button, the login screen appeared. Now I’m able to switch between macOS and Windows with no problems but unsure what’s causing this glitch. Any ideas?

I searched this thread for white screen issues but only saw problems involving the white screen and the Apple logo.

krishnaM

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2014
OC is not for novice users ;- )
Thanks for the reply. I respect your advice but I was able to upgrade my 2009 cmp from 4.1 to 5.1, install X5690 cpu, add usb 3, nvme drive and RX580 with you'll guidance. I see similar 'how to do' instructions on the "cdf's OpenCore post" but I am hesitant yet and also I am happy with Mojave and no need for me to upgrade to Catalina but would love to keep using my beloved cmp as long as possible.

Krishna

jvlfilms

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2007
Staten Island, NY
Just want to say thank you to these forums and specifically this thread for all the help with my 4,1 (now 5,1)! A few weeks ago I had:

Dual X5570 2.93 ghz (8 cores)
Radeon 4870
16 GB RAM

Now I have:
Dual X5675 3.03 ghz (12 cores)
Radeon RX 580
96 GB RAM

I still could get the better processor down the line but I’m comfortable where I am for now! This machine is great for gaming in Windows 10 and being able to dual boot into macOS is also a huge plus!

My next test will be doing performance tests in Premiere on macOS/Windows to see which performs better but nothing beats the ability to have both on hand when needed

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2020
Hong Kong
I try to upgrade my Mac pro 5,1 and lead me to this forum,
what I try to upgrade are
1. upgrade to USD3.0 so i can run my external HDD much faster
which I have done successfully
2. Upgrade my wifi card to wifi ac and bluetooth 4.0 for airdrop
and this I found a little problem I like to ask and hope to get a reply

I have ordered
adaptor and the wifi+bluetooth card already
extension of antenna cable for bluetooth
but I found the power cable ( i guess) between the adaptor and the old bluetooth motherboard plug is not right
which come with the seller from china, of coz the adaptor side was right but the other side that connect to the old bluetooth from the motherboard is not right, So question is what is the name of the side's connector or can i just use the old one and make my own?

thanks

wnlewis

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2017
Newton, Kansas
I want to learn enough to make an intelligent decision about which Mac Pro to purchase. My desire is a Mac that will be able to run Mac programs and current SolidWorks. What sources of information will help me to learn what I need to know? Thanks.

superparati

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2016
London
With more details about your existing configuration and projet it will help the community to help you.

Are aiming for an old MacPro or a brand new one or a laptop?
Do you already own a MacPro?

wnlewis

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2017
Newton, Kansas
Do not own a MacPro.

Want a barebones - no processors, RAM, drives, or video card(s) needed - used MacPro desktop with the capability of running multiple processors of 3.33 GHz or faster.

It needs to be capable of having at least 16 Gb of RAM; more preferable.

It needs to be capable of using a metal compatible video card.

The video card(s) must be capable of working with Cobalt (a high end, Macintosh CAD solid modelling package), or SolidWorks (Windows 10, 64 bit).

The motherboard must be fast and the power supply large.

Thanks for your help.

superparati

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2016
London
What computer are you using today?
Are you looking for a brand new machine or a second hand at low cost?

Today the MacPro from 2009/2012 is at is end of life. With some extra DIY you can get exactly what you need but not sure if it is what you are looking. This Mac will be obsolete in 2/4 years.

You have already a lot of details in the first post of this topic. I invite you to read it first. You will find a lot of answer GPU, CPU, RAM, SSD/NVMe………… and how to get Windows up and running.

Reactions: kohlson

wnlewis

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2017
Newton, Kansas
I am using a very heavily upgraded Sawtooth AGP G4 to run several older high end programs in: 9.2.2, 10.4.11, 10.5.8, and am attempting to get linux installed. The computer interfaces with a 2100 Message Pad and a Treo 755p.

Some new work requires me to run a couple of high end - current version of SolidWorks, current version of Cobalt - solid modelling programs. Both will require very good GPU's (Mac and Windows compatible). I will also likely need to run either Linux or Unix to do some FEA work.

The first post does not seem to address the differences between the models within the 4,1 family.

I enjoy upgrading and can afford to buy a very stripped down 4,1, if it has the right characteristics. I cannot afford a heavily equipped or new machine. I've never been much concerned with EOL issues.

So, the first step is to learn the differences in the various different models of the 4,1, and then see what I should buy with the money I have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.