Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
hah very cool!

its a shame you didn't pick up one of the really low end Dual Core LGA1366 chips

iv been wanting to know for a long while if those would work and if they would show up as Dual Core Xeon in about this mac Properly :D

Reactions: owbp

Artakamoose

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2016
Bay Area
I went from 1,1 to 2,1 then 3,1 and just ebayed a 4,1 that has been firmware updated to 5.1 and running Sierra. I guess this is a stupid question but I would like to take the El Capitan hard drive and put it in the new computer and then update it to Sierra. Just want to save all that I have on the 3,1 hard drive. Can this be done?

This little question has been driving me nuts. I can not find any answer I assume that the El Capitan hard drive will boot with no problem. I tried Apple support and there was none. They said they didn't recomend changing the hard drive,WTF.

Any help would be appreciated. Regards Newbie

The iCloud services (iMessages etc) and other activated products can go nuts after swap like that (depends of method of activation), but yeah, agree with Squuuiid - macOS will have no problems on its own.

Sorry to drag this up again but I'm moving from a 4,1/5,1 Single to a true 5,1 Dual and this is the only discussion I've found on this topic. Here's the process I'm thinking I need to do:
1) Upgrade firmware on 5,1 to 144
2) Log out of iCloud on 4,1
3) Swap drives from 4,1 to 5,1
4) Log into iCloud

I'm assuming steps 2 and 4 will take care of any iCloud service issues? Is there anything else I'm missing?

Last edited:

dustwashere

macrumors member
May 27, 2019
Russia
guys. the fan began to rustle (knock). showed in the picture what. What is it called to find and buy it? Or are there non-original fans that are suitable?
and I can not find instructions on how to remove it. I will be very grateful

wrote here so as not to create a new topic. fan replacement is also an upgrade Снимок экрана 2019-08-28 в 9.19.52.png

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
It does seem too high. I order things from time to time from Asia (to California) and it's nothing nearly as expensive as this. Usually USD$10-sh, if that. To me the high delivery charge is an indication that the seller doesn't want to do it, or a program glitch. Perhaps an inquiry to the seller, and a follow-on question if needed: is there another local supplier that can be recommended?

dustwashere

macrumors member
May 27, 2019
Russia
Yes, that is a tad over the top, sorry but I hadn't checked that.
Bet they don't sell a lot of fans internationally.
the main thing is that you gave the part number
[doublepost=1567060481][/doublepost]
It does seem too high. I order things from time to time from Asia (to California) and it's nothing nearly as expensive as this. Usually USD$10-sh, if that. To me the high delivery charge is an indication that the seller doesn't want to do it, or a program glitch. Perhaps an inquiry to the seller, and a follow-on question if needed: is there another local supplier that can be recommended?
I did not find on Aliexpress (this is Asia), of course, there it is much cheaper. but I'm not sure that I can remove the fan normally (without damaging the clips for the fan) in order to put the original one in the same place. therefore I am looking at ebay (or in stores in the US) original fans

dustwashere

macrumors member
May 27, 2019
Russia
guys. maybe someone changed the fans to non-original ones and knows the required size (both the name of the company and the fan model with the correct pin so that the fan speed is read in the system) I saw a video somewhere on YouTube, but I can’t find it. maybe someone here has experience or a link to a discussion about this

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
guys. maybe someone changed the fans to non-original ones and knows the required size (both the name of the company and the fan model with the correct pin so that the fan speed is read in the system) I saw a video somewhere on YouTube, but I can’t find it. maybe someone here has experience or a link to a discussion about this

You may find this thread helpful and the video linked on the first page:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/mac-pro-5-1-replace-fans.2102852/

Reactions: dustwashere

majus

Contributor
Mar 25, 2004
Oklahoma City, OK
i use google translator, jokes elude me
If you are referring to "manhandle", it isn't a joke. The word means moving a heavy object using whatever force it takes to move it. In the case of a very lightweight fan I would take it to mean the writer wasn't very careful with how he treated the fan.

dustwashere

macrumors member
May 27, 2019
Russia
If you are referring to "manhandle", it isn't a joke. The word means moving a heavy object using whatever force it takes to move it. In the case of a very lightweight fan I would take it to mean the writer wasn't very careful with how he treated the fan
I want to tell you that the translation by Google translator is the worst thing that mankind came up with. sometimes you don’t understand at all. nothing. translate and do not understand. texts with technical information and do not understand

imrazor

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2010
Dol Amroth
I recently found a deal on a Mac Pro 2010 (5,1 I believe) and am contemplating ordering it and getting a genuine Mac with some actual horsepower that doesn't cost over $1000. The model I'm looking at comes with a single 2.8GHz quad Xeon and an ATI 5770. I have two or three X5670s I'd like to upgrade the machine with, as well as an RX 580, Vega 56 and GTX 670. This brings up a few questions, and I apologize for my ignorance on this topic.

1) Can I upgrade this single Xeon machine to a dual Xeon configuration? Would a single X5670 work alright?
2) Does the standard PSU have enough power (and 2x8-pin connectors) for something like a Vega 56?
3) Sierra is pre-installed. Do I have to install High Sierra as an intermediate step to update the ROM?
4) I believe none of the newer cards I have support MacEFI, though I have used the GTX 670 in a Hackintosh w/o any special hacks. Which GPU upgrade would be recommended for this machine?
5) This is purely speculative, but how long do you think Apple will continue to release new OS's for these machines?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I recently found a deal on a Mac Pro 2010 (5,1 I believe) and am contemplating ordering it and getting a genuine Mac with some actual horsepower that doesn't cost over $1000. The model I'm looking at comes with a single 2.8GHz quad Xeon and an ATI 5770. I have two or three X5670s I'd like to upgrade the machine with, as well as an RX 580, Vega 56 and GTX 670. This brings up a few questions, and I apologize for my ignorance on this topic.

1) Can I upgrade this single Xeon machine to a dual Xeon configuration? Would a single X5670 work alright?
2) Does the standard PSU have enough power (and 2x8-pin connectors) for something like a Vega 56?
3) Sierra is pre-installed. Do I have to install High Sierra as an intermediate step to update the ROM?
4) I believe none of the newer cards I have support MacEFI, though I have used the GTX 670 in a Hackintosh w/o any special hacks. Which GPU upgrade would be recommended for this machine?
5) This is purely speculative, but how long do you think Apple will continue to release new OS's for these machines?
1) A single CPU Mac Pro has only one processor socket, it's the MP3,1 that you just install another processor and heatsink. You can replace the single cpu tray for a dual cpu tray, no problem.

2) The PSU yes, but not the backplane PCIe AUX boost circuit. You have to make a Pixla's mod or at least get an eVGA Powerlink like @orph suggested above. Btw, even with a Powerlink balancing the power feed, Vega 56 power consumption is a little over the MP5,1 spec, you can get a shutdown when using some benchmarks, but usually not with real world usage.

3) Yes. Read the first post of the thread MP5,1: What you have to do to upgrade to Mojave (BootROM upgrade instructions thread), pay real attention since there are various pitfalls upgrading Mac Pro firmware.

4) RX 580 fits the PCIe AUX boost design capacity and you can buy one from MVC with Mac EFI already. The newest self-flashable GPUs are:
5) MP5,1 software support ends with Mojave, so we still have at least two years of software updates, Catalina runs but it's unsupported by Apple.

Reactions: orph

imrazor

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2010
Dol Amroth
I lucked out and got a model that already had an upgraded ROM. The guy I bought it from already had Catalina running, and had gone through the upgrade process. I'm not brave enough to run beta software, so I installed Mojave instead.

Just to be safe, I went through the intermediate step of installing High Sierra. That went fine, and I noticed with my RX 580 (recognized as RX 480 for some reason) that under 10.13 I saw the boot progress bar, but not with 10.14. Also, the Option key doesn't let me access the boot menu - I just see a black screen. Otherwise it seems to work fine, though trying to run my monitor at 144Hz causes some interesting glitching.

Is there any way to flash a reference RX 480/580 with a Mac boot ROM?

I also noticed that this Mac has an X5680 instead of a W3680, so it looks like someone already upgraded the CPU. I take it from previous comments I'd need to install a dual CPU tray to drop in my X5670s. Not sure I want to since the X5680's single core scores are already a bit anemic, and dropping 400Mhz won't help.

And, finally, any chance of installing Windows on this Mac? Would I have to use the Bootcamp installer, or can I just install straight to the hard drive?

east_first169

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2019
Makati, Philippines
Has anyone worked with a Sun Flash F80 (LSI Nytro Warpdrive) 800GB pcie ssd?

I have it running with OS X El Capitan with modified Asetek Kexts on cMP mid-2010 but it's not bootable.
900MB/s Write - 1400MB/s Read installed in SLOT 4.

If you are not familiar with the Sun Flash F80, its an LSI SAS2008 controller with 4 x 200GB Sanforce Gen 2 ssd in attached to the pcie card.

paintstone

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2019
Seattle
My question is more of a classic MacPro 4,1 or 5,1 mod. Has anyone posted photos of building other things with just the case of a cMP? We could do Hackintosh mod box for maybe an uninterruptible power supply, or a huge case for just a whole case RAID of HDD, a server box, air filter, a network router or something but the external case seems to be too gorgeous for me to be the only one we could rewire or lightly cut the internals to suit an alternate need.

Objectivist-C

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2006
I’m planning to upgrade my 5,1 storage come Black Friday, just wanted to check if I’m missing any potential issues.

I'm currently dual-booting Mojave and Windows 10 off of a 2 TB WD Red platter drive. I plan to buy an AData SX8200 Pro and install Catalina on it via VMWare Fusion to use as my primary MacOS boot drive. It's double-sided, which might cause problems with the heat sink in my KryoM.2 Evo enclosure, but it comes with its own adhesive one, so it should be fine.

Since Windows 10 apparently won't boot off an NVMe drive without clobbering the bootrom, the Boot Camp partition will be WinCloned to a 2.5" SATA SSD (WD Blue or Samsung 860 EVO) in an OWC SSD sled.

Finally, the original platter drive will be repartitioned as a Time Machine drive, with the Mojave install retained to run VMWare as needed.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
My question is more of a classic MacPro 4,1 or 5,1 mod. Has anyone posted photos of building other things with just the case of a cMP? We could do Hackintosh mod box for maybe an uninterruptible power supply, or a huge case for just a whole case RAID of HDD, a server box, air filter, a network router or something but the external case seems to be too gorgeous for me to be the only one we could rewire or lightly cut the internals to suit an alternate need.

Quite a few on the net, you can even find table / chair build by the cMP case.
rxw0z5ha03cy.jpg

Anyway, why this related cMP "upgrade"?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.