Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

msh

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2009
SoCal
Lot of impressive (and expensive) hardware there. Good to know what an old MP is capable of.

So are you using APFS and, if so, how is it working?

bax2003

Cancelled
Dec 25, 2011
Lot of impressive (and expensive) hardware there. Good to know what an old MP is capable of.

So are you using APFS and, if so, how is it working?

I am using it on HFS+ because installing Mojave on APFS created on Apple RAID is kind of pain, if not impossible.

msh

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2009
SoCal
I am using it on HFS+ because installing Mojave on APFS created on Apple RAID is kind of pain, if not impossible.
Doesn't it strike you as odd that you have all this expensive hardware to move and protect your data yet the data itself is on this incredibly weak and fragile file system?

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
@msh ? all file systems have problems, i gess ZFS is supposed to be more hardened but there's still problems.
or if you talking about RAID?
iv not seen any reports of APFS or HFS+ being a massive liability & RAID is a known risk.

if your talking about archival data storage tape is the way to go

msh

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2009
SoCal
@msh ? all file systems have problems, i gess ZFS is supposed to be more hardened but there's still problems.
or if you talking about RAID?
iv not seen any reports of APFS or HFS+ being a massive liability & RAID is a known risk.

if your talking about archival data storage tape is the way to go
Yes, of course, all file systems - including ZFS - have problems but some more than others. I really haven't researched actual cases of data loss with HFS+ but I have experienced my own from power failures. And Apple has long known it is a problem hence APFS (after a brief flirtation with ZFS). As for tape it may be great but I am guessing too expensive and impractical for a solo user like me.

I like ZFS because you don’t need (or want) hardware raid and it works great with cheap disks besides all the built in protections and capabilities. But it is not officially supported by Apple so that gives some discomfort. I hope Apple can resolve issues with APFS.

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
i treat all my drives in the macpro as "live work" drives with only data/projects that are active and keep pairs of two external HD's for backups to try to keep data safe on a small scale.
so if a drive on my computer dies i can replace it and bring back a project from an external drive, or if one of the external drives die i can replace it and re copy over the data from the remaining drive.
not massive redundancy but some
(im not using raid etc)

if you relay want ZFS on a small scale just make an network attached box, thats a cheep option for large storage

iv been thinking about making an network storage box or something of the like for a cheaper and smaller way to store files but i still have mixed feelings about storing that much in a single location/box.

bax2003

Cancelled
Dec 25, 2011
Doesn't it strike you as odd that you have all this expensive hardware to move and protect your data yet the data itself is on this incredibly weak and fragile file system?

OK, you are obviously making conclusions in advance without having a clue what is my machine used for.

HFS+ is incredibly weak and fragile file system ? Or you are referring to RAID array ? If you are talking about RAID 0, its fault tolerance is the same as for one single drive, but slower. I need fast OS/app drive, so my choice is clear.

I don´t keep important data of any kind on my OS/app drive, so you can really stop worrying ;).

Anyway, this is way of topic.

msh

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2009
SoCal
OK, you are obviously making conclusions in advance without having a clue what is my machine used for.

HFS+ is incredibly weak and fragile file system ? Or you are referring to RAID array ? If you are talking about RAID 0, its fault tolerance is the same as for one single drive, but slower. I need fast OS/app drive, so my choice is clear.

I don´t keep important data of any kind on my OS/app drive, so you can really stop worrying ;).

Anyway, this is way of topic.
You are right - way off topic but easy to do on these forums.

I was interested in how APFS was performing vs HFS+ because it was one of my motivations for upgrading the MP firmware so as to be able to install High Sierra w APFS. My remarks not directed at hardware raid.
[doublepost=1539202874][/doublepost]
i treat all my drives in the macpro as "live work" drives with only data/projects that are active and keep pairs of two external HD's for backups to try to keep data safe on a small scale.
so if a drive on my computer dies i can replace it and bring back a project from an external drive, or if one of the external drives die i can replace it and re copy over the data from the remaining drive.
not massive redundancy but some
(im not using raid etc)

if you relay want ZFS on a small scale just make an network attached box, thats a cheep option for large storage

iv been thinking about making an network storage box or something of the like for a cheaper and smaller way to store files but i still have mixed feelings about storing that much in a single location/box.
Yes I mitigate a lot of these issues with lots of backups. I have been looking at a Freenas box with ZFS. Not hugely expensive but still cost money especially if you want decent quality.
[doublepost=1539204133][/doublepost]
HFS+ is incredibly weak and fragile file system ?

Of course I am thinking of Linus Torvald calling HFS+ the “worst file system ever”.

kschendel

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2014
Of course I am thinking of Linus Torvald calling HFS+ the “worst file system ever”.

Typical Linus hyperbole. He was pissing and moaning about the way filenames are handled. That hardly disqualifies the rest of the filesystem. "Worst" depends on the metric you're using, of course, but when I hear "worst filesystem" I'm inclined to think "System V". Or, just possibly, TOPS-10 4-series.

Reactions: bax2003

JulianDevilleSmith

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2018
Kurnell
Hey all. I have been reading up on this topic for some time.. and have finally got around to putting together my machine (4,1 flashed to 5,1) just now.. This morning a flashed 4,1>5,1 backplane logic board arrived that I purchased from Ebay (seller confirmed to me that he had flashed the board prior to listing).. Before I try to boot it up.. I have a couple of quick questions that someone more experienced may be able to answer for me: If on the odd chance it hasn't been flashed to 5,1 firmware and I attempt to boot it with the 2x X5690's and the 1333mhz ddr3 installed - will I fry my chips ? will anything adverse happen or will I/the machine be ok ? Should I try booting first with the 1066mhz ram sticks ? current configuration is 2x X5690's 4x8gb ddr3 1333mhx ECC, 2TB 3.5, ati radeon 5770 1gb Mac EFI GPU. Cheers.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Before I try to boot it up.. I have a couple of quick questions that someone more experienced may be able to answer for me: If on the odd chance it hasn't been flashed to 5,1 firmware and I attempt to boot it with the 2x X5690's and the 1333mhz ddr3 installed - will I fry my chips ? will anything adverse happen or will I/the machine be ok ? Should I try booting first with the 1066mhz ram sticks ? current configuration is 2x X5690's 4x8gb ddr3 1333mhx ECC, 2TB 3.5, ati radeon 5770 1gb Mac EFI GPU. Cheers.

X5690 simply won't boot with 4,1 firmware, that's it.

IMO, test run with 1066MHz DIMM is NOT required. But keep those sticks on hand can help diagnosis if something goes wrong later.

JulianDevilleSmith

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2018
Kurnell
So she boots.. all is good, except I can't get a decent copy of Yosemite to create a reliable install usb via creatinstallmedia to run through the install process... they all seem to be corrupted somehow... anyone got a good copy that they could image me a vanilla install and rip that to a dmg and link me via dropbox or google drive ? Much appreciated.
[doublepost=1540017339][/doublepost]So worked it out.. gotta change the date via terminal ! easy.

Last edited:

JulianDevilleSmith

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2018
Kurnell
So... I've successfully installed 10.10.1 however I'm yet to be able to get it to boot into the setup dialog.. just seems to be stalling the loading bar, with a beachball spinning.. any ideas ? Booted into the recovery partition no problems, but doesn't want to boot into the OS...for some reason...

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Just see this is added. Thanks for helping me to update the thread.

C619B7B6-1163-4F5B-862A-30603C24F313.jpeg

May I know if this make any difference than holding ”Command + R” to boot to recovery partiton?

Also, I believe this still need an OOTB card to work. Am I correct?

If the poster don’t mind, I wish to make that become a link. Therefore, we can keep the “index” standard. Which is the OP’s wish.

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Just see this is added. Thanks for helping me to update the thread.

View attachment 804930

May I know if this make any difference than holding ”Command + R” to boot to recovery partiton?

Also, I believe this still need an OOTB card to work. Am I correct?

If the poster don’t mind, I wish to make that become a link. Therefore, we can keep the “index” standard. Which is the OP’s wish.
I had only RX-580 installed. Somehow "Command+R" did not work for me (I beleive it did when I had SIP disabled). I tried several times. And because abdyfranco's Boot loader requires SIP disabled after issuing the above command it booted to Recovery HD. Sorry if I messed the layout of the wiki post feel free to change it as you like it.

Last edited:

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I had only RX-580 installed. Somehow "Command+R" did not work for me (I beleive it did when I had SIP disabled). I tried several times. And because abdyfranco's Boot loader requires SIP disabled after issuing the above command it booted to Recovery HD. Sorry if I messed the layout of the wiki post feel free to change it as you like it.

No worries, I will fix the format.

And understand the difference now. So, that’s particularly for those who fail to boot to recovery partition by Command + R (e.g. incompatible wireless keyboard), then can use this command to boot to recovery partition.

I will also change the title to something about enter recovery partition, but not disable SIP without Mac EFI. Becasue this won’t work with any Maxwell / Pascal GPU. That title is a bit misleading.

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
No worries, I will fix the format.

And understand the difference now. So, that’s particularly for those who fail to boot to recovery partition by Command + R (e.g. incompatible wireless keyboard), then can use this command to boot to recovery partition.

I will also change the title to something about enter recovery partition, but not disable SIP without Mac EFI. Becasue this won’t work with any Maxwell / Pascal GPU. That title is a bit misleading.
Ok thanks. The strange thing is that my keyboard is an original USB Apple keyboard

C. Sailfish

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2012
How to upgrade to High Sierra without converting the file system to APFS.

1) Download High Sierra Installer from Appstore
2) Close the installer (if it automatically open after download completed)
3) Open Terminal
4) run
Code:
/Applications/"Install macOS High Sierra.app"/Contents/Resources/startosinstall --converttoapfs NO --agreetolicense
[doublepost=1548369568][/doublepost]After running the terminal command I assume you quit terminal and just run the High Sierra installer?
[doublepost=1548369999][/doublepost]
How to upgrade to High Sierra without converting the file system to APFS.

1) Download High Sierra Installer from Appstore
2) Close the installer (if it automatically open after download completed)
3) Open Terminal
4) run
Code:
/Applications/"Install macOS High Sierra.app"/Contents/Resources/startosinstall --converttoapfs NO --agreetolicense

I assume you close Terminal after running the command line and open up the installer and install? Should the drive be formatted to HFS+ of it's a clean install. Will the same thing work for Mojave?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.