Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 11, 2011
So which do you prefer? Or do you not care?

I used to be in the latter, but ever since Pepsi decided that I needed to be more healthy and switched their Diet formula away from Aspertame, it has sucked. Supposedly they switched it back, but only for the bottled, not fountain.

The problem is that most places that sell the bottled also sell Coke, so I can just pick Coke. But the fountain Diet Pepsi is almost undrinkable.

What made me start this thread is I went to lunch at BW3 today and since they are a Pepsi store, I have always been able to get Diet Mountain Dew. Not anymore. They say they can't order it and are waiting for MD Zero to arrive. :(

So what does everyone here prefer?

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I personally prefer coke to Pepsi but fountain drinks are usually less good in my experience anyway.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
In truth, nowadays, neither.

I find them both far too sweet.

These days, my non-alcoholic beverage preference is: Mineral water, sparkling, served with a few slices of lemon.

However, when I was a child (and before my palate had evolved to far prefer coffee, beer and wine), I used to prefer Coke, although I did drink both.

Last edited:

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
When I used to drink these kind of beverages, I would prefer Coke slightly although would be bappy with either. Pepsi, to me, is slightly sweeter.

Yep, same for me. Now that I'm older I try to avoid sugary drinks, but Coke has always held a slight edge over Pepsi.

Still known to enjoy a good Root Beer from time to time, though. :)

Reactions: Madhatter32

kpluck

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2018
Sacramento
Between those two choices I have no preference, I could live with either but my preference would be Mountain Dew Zero or Zevia Root Beer.

-kp

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
My preference: water.
Way too much sugar, sugar substitutes and other chemicals in either one of your 2 choices.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Pepsi. Now anyway. But the kind with real sugar. Up until five years ago it used to be Coke. Up until about two years ago it used to be soda period.

Some time in the past two years I have developed an allergy to HFCS (High Fructose Corn Syrup). I drink anything with that and soon I will be sneezing and not feeling well. So now it's water, coffee or iced tea.

As a kid I could go through one liter or a 12-pack of Coke in less than a day. Once I found Walmart's brand of cola I could rip through one of their 24-packs in about a day and a half.

Probably a big reason I have an allergy now and am on Prilosec (excess stomach acid) for life. Soda to me is an addiction…but once it starts to taste like drinking cough syrup instead of actual soda you've passed the 'should have stopped earlier' line a long time ago.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
So which do you prefer? Or do you not care?

I used to be in the latter, but ever since Pepsi decided that I needed to be more healthy and switched their Diet formula away from Aspertame, it has sucked. Supposedly they switched it back, but only for the bottled, not fountain.

The problem is that most places that sell the bottled also sell Coke, so I can just pick Coke. But the fountain Diet Pepsi is almost undrinkable.

What made me start this thread is I went to lunch at BW3 today and since they are a Pepsi store, I have always been able to get Diet Mountain Dew. Not anymore. They say they can't order it and are waiting for MD Zero to arrive. :(

So what does everyone here prefer?
Diet-Pepsi, Pepsi Zero Sugar. :D

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Cheeseburger, cheeseburger, cheeseburger...
866d475c-b0f0-4f5d-86aa-4870313b221f_screenshot.jpg

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 11, 2011
Diet-Pepsi, Pepsi Zero Sugar. :D

I have noticed this trend of many of the drinks having 2 diet lines: regular diet and now all the "Zero's". Coke was first, but now all of them seem to have one. Still prefer most of the diet versions to the Zero versions.

Some time in the past two years I have developed an allergy to HFCS (High Fructose Corn Syrup). I drink anything with that and soon I will be sneezing and not feeling well. So now it's water, coffee or iced tea.

Is the Mexican Coke not readily available where you are? It uses pure cane sugar.

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Is the Mexican Coke not readily available where you are? It uses pure cane sugar.
Yes, it's easily available. But…~$1.xx for one of those small glass bottles (or around $6 for a pack of 6) versus ~$1.xx for a two liter or about $3 for a 12 pack of cans.

Considering the volume at which I could (would) drink soda, this is very expensive. I could be done with one of those 6-packs of glass bottles in about an hour and that's just taking my time.

On my own, I drink soda like most people drink water. I used to have a saying…"Conserve water, drink Coke!"

Reactions: dk001

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
The change of the coke formula to replace Coke with corn surge inside of sugar Is why coke went to the secret changers to make more like Diet Coke and use corn syrup instead in classic coke and old timers like me thought something was off after '85!

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Yes, [Mexican Coke] easily available. But…~$1.xx for one of those small glass bottles (or around $6 for a pack of 6)
By me, can find the 500ml bottles for about $1.30 $1.49 (just passed the store, inflation; $1.29 for 12oz). Haven‘t gone into a Hispanic grocery to see if can find a little cheaper. Only ever drink Coke when grilling up some burgers or such, so willing to pay the price.

Coke over Pepsi. Find Coke to be less sweet and with a little more bite to the flavor.

Last edited:

CharlesShaw

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2015
Rarely drink anything but water, but if I’m treating myself to counter service fast food and they have one of these touchscreen fountains where you can get caffeine free diet with optional extra flavors, you better believe I’m getting a Coke.

1685025339302.png

• Love
Reactions: compwiz1202

Aves

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2010
PA
I don't drink them, but if I had to: cold coke from a glass bottle

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Regular Coke over Pepsi.
Diet Pepsi over Diet Coke
I like both of the new Zero ones.
I used the love the C2 or whatever it was called and Pepsi Edge ones with less suger but NOOOOOOOO they always discontinue the great product and keep the garbage until the end of time/

Reactions: SB1500
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.