Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
You definitely need more space, that's for sure. Your 4 year plan to expand sounds good, but we're just adding a bathroom in the basement (my media lab) and that's going to run almost $20k. Old Town isn't the area for cheap additions. How much room do you have to expand? We're kind of tight, but we're thinking of putting on an addition out the back, redo the kitchen adding a living area off the back and expanding the bedroom (2 story addition). Neighbors across the street did that and spent $250k - but they had more room and made choices that I wouldn't have (he wired his house with rj45 and was all proud of it - I couldn't tell him that he should have gone wireless:D , it would have killed him).

I'll have to go take a couple of pics and post them, I don't have the clutter, and only 3 machines, but its a nice space.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I'm glad you like it. We were going to paint the ceiling that blue, but its just a little too low, so the one wall and the inside of the closet door got a few coats of paint. I love the lights which I got at Ikea.

All this is going to change, because we have to unload the storage section of the basement for the new bathroom, and I'll have to disassemble the draft table:( and store all the crap in the left hand corner. Hopefully it won't be that long of an inconvenience.

kishba

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2001
Michigan
after seeing all this i think i'm going to rework the "design" of my room

it's really silly right now but i think i could easily improve

hey can anyone else show off their setups? (i enjoy looking at them so i can get ideas of how to setup mine)

blakespot

Administrator
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
Originally posted by dukestreet
I'm glad you like it. We were going to paint the ceiling that blue, but its just a little too low, so the one wall and the inside of the closet door got a few coats of paint. I love the lights which I got at Ikea.

All this is going to change, because we have to unload the storage section of the basement for the new bathroom, and I'll have to disassemble the draft table:( and store all the crap in the left hand corner. Hopefully it won't be that long of an inconvenience.
Our house is IKEA land. To be sure. Just 12 miles down 95!

blakespot

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
(he wired his house with rj45 and was all proud of it - I couldn't tell him that he should have gone wireless:D , it would have killed him) [/QUOTE

So did I! It may have been more work, but it is a hell of a lot quicker when transferring files!

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Originally posted by kishba
after seeing all this i think i'm going to rework the "design" of my room

it's really silly right now but i think i could easily improve

hey can anyone else show off their setups? (i enjoy looking at them so i can get ideas of how to setup mine)

Hmmm...I would..I WILL...but I will have to edit the movie since we have the computers in every room. We have a computer in every room, plus I have 5 in the storage! I am to lazy to make a movie now, so here it is!

1X G4 500 Server (not working as one) with an Apple 17in MultiScan Display
1X G4 400 AGP with an 18.1in Princeton LCD
2X G3 233MHz iMac
1X G3 333MHz iMac
1X G3 400MHz SE iMac
1X G3 500MHz FireWire Pismo Laptop
And, in storage...

2X Mac Performa 6116CD
1X Mac IIsi
1X Mac 7200/90
And a few old monitors. I will make a little movie later on.

I have one question for you guys. I dont think that this server will hold like a 3MB movie, and I dont have a server, so...where can I put it?

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
Originally posted by MacAztec
<snip>
And, in storage...

2X Mac Performa 6116CD
1X Mac IIsi
1X Mac 7200/90
And a few old monitors. I will make a little movie later on.

I have one question for you guys. I dont think that this server will hold like a 3MB movie, and I dont have a server, so...where can I put it?
I had a 7200. I ripped it to pieces. Never really like that machine...

You can store your movie on your iDisk.

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Beej!!

You are a genius! WooHoo!! But, how do I save it as a link? I know you all can connect to my iDisk and get it, but I dont have a homepage. Every time I try to make one, it never works. I will try it again, but first, I am goin to make the movie...

buffsldr

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2001
I went and took some pics of my 'mediaLab' at home, here's the link. Sorry there's some distortion in the image, had to piece 3 shots together.

http://www.dukestreet.com/mediaLab.jpg

That is one dope media lab. Where did you get those blue light covers??? I would love a room like that. I might never leave it.

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002
Not sure if I posted this at MacRumors or not, but here's my humble hovel...thank god for KVMs

Desk

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by blakespot
Basement, I presume??

Yep, its the basement. I'm actually glad I took pics yesterday, I have to disassmeble the drafting table this week end, I'm going to miss it for a couple of months. When we rearrange the basement after the installing the new bathroom, I'll be redoing some of the media lab. It might require some more trips to Ikea. :D

The wife wants to make it a tv room too, until we get the other addition started (3 year plan on that ourselves). This will require some negotiation, because a couch in the room might be a tight fit with the drafting table. I'm loath to give that up, just yet.

So I'm curious to see more setups, post 'em if you've got 'em:cool:

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by buffsldr

That is one dope media lab. Where did you get those blue light covers??? I would love a room like that. I might never leave it.

I don't leave it too often, and once the bathroom is in the basement, well that solves that problem.

I've attached another pic of just the blue lights, I picked them up a Ikea, they are awesome. Low wattage, not too bright, halogen bulbs. It reallly works well with the monitors. And they come with 4 different color shades, white, yellow, orange and blue.

The other blue light it is a rocket ship accent light I picked up at a store in Old Town.

The installation was a snap, did it in about an hour.

Attachments

• lights.jpg
    lights.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 197

blakespot

Administrator
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
One hour to setup those lights on the string? I quite like that style of light. I would assume it would be a huge pain to get them strungup. Did you not have to wire it behind the wallboard, etc?

My guess is you got that rocket light at that store in the bottom of the Torpedo Factory or at Artcraft on King St. ?

blakespot

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
Wow, very nice room! Mine was something like that for the first two days after I build it, then became a mess.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
One hour to setup those lights on the string? I quite like that style of light. I would assume it would be a huge pain to get them strungup. Did you not have to wire it behind the wallboard, etc?

My guess is you got that rocket light at that store in the bottom of the Torpedo Factory or at Artcraft on King St. ?

It was all in the kit from Ikea, use drywall anchors and bolt the cables in. There is a tightener in along the cable as well as the abilitity to take up slack at both ends. What helped was the original light fixture that I removed and connected the transformer to. If that hadn't been there, installation would have taken much longer.

I got the rocket light at the Hallmark on King. I bought another Flying Saucer type halogen light at the store down at the Torpedo Factory, that's on my desk at work.

I've just finished the first round of set up for the contractors to come in next week. I opened up a closet in the basement under the stairs and realized that they had added a wall at the narrow end, where the stairs come down. I gave it a whack and ripped the dry wall out, exposing a triangular space at the highest 4'. This allows me to store a ton more crap, so I probably don't have to take apart the drafting table. Woohoo!

I just hope the construction isn't too dusty.

Nice avatar Blakespot. It looks really familliar, but I can't place it. What is it?

blakespot

Administrator
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
Nice avatar Blakespot. It looks really familliar, but I can't place it. What is it?

It is my tattoo. The "Celtic Tree of Life".

I was going for a Celtic knot/symbol, but it's actually an older Druidic symbol, but fairly close to the Celtic image I was searching for. I encountered it a (small) number of places in the search for my "permanent avatar" when I got it 2 years back.

blakespot

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA

It is my tattoo. The "Celtic Tree of Life".

That's great. That what I thought and I went looking for a picture on the web and I found nothing that really came close. Its cool though.

I'm still working on a few ideas myself, and I might go with more than one, depending on my mood. Who knows. I've got a while before that happens, anyway.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Cool......

Cool dukestreet, I like it, particularly the drafting table, I could so use one of those...... But my room, is the size of a very small shoebox, and it wouldn't fit in with my TiBook lid open!!:p

Everyone in the US seems to have Gazillions of macs...... My God the salaries must be very good in the states!!:D

And naive old me thought IKEA was only a European thing!!:p

2 more reasons to move to the states then..... Gazzillion Mac buying salaries and IKEA too!!!:p

blakespot

Administrator
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
What happens if you were to grab hold of both of those wires making up that light string, one in each hand? What would happen if you were to lay one arm across both wires, as another scenario?

Curious.

blakespot

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
You get......

very spikey hair!!!!:eek:

The lights and cables are low voltage... so nothing!!!! :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.