Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by blakespot
What happens if you were to grab hold of both of those wires making up that light string, one in each hand? What would happen if you were to lay one arm across both wires, as another scenario?

Nothing. Its low wattage, about 10 or maybe a little more. But the nice thing is that it all surrounded in a clear plastic/rubbery covering. In order for the lights to work, you screw in the connectors and a pointy end cuts through the coating and touches the cable. Very cool, and very safe. I love them. You can also make it about twice as long and add another 5 or 6 lights on it. If you had the room. you could make it go around corners and stuff. Also run it from floor to ceiling. They also have several different light styles to choose from. Next time you're in Ikea, check them out.

On a side note: WooHoo! 400!:cool:

kishba

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2001
Michigan
hmm what exactly is ikea like? i live in the middle-o-michigan and i have absolutely no idea what they're like

they sound like they have some cool stuff :)

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
IKEA is

cool
contemporary
funky
fun
minimal
max'd
natural
and nice.....

go to

http://www.ikea.com/

I really thought before this thread that IKEA was European only..... the Swedes are taking over the design world......

At least I know when I eventually move to the states, I can keep alittle Europeaness in my humble abode!!:p

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by kishba
hmm what exactly is ikea like? i live in the middle-o-michigan and i have absolutely no idea what they're like

Ikea is pretty neat stuff, mostly contemporary and not exactly topshelf. Everything you buy you pretty much have to assemble yourself, dressers, beds, selves, entertainment units. Its supposed to reduce cost, and some items can be cheaper than at a regular furniture store. I only go there once in a while, maybe 2 times a year to see if there is anything new or cool.

Although I don't really like to put the stuff together any more, the first couple times it was kind of fun.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
dukestreet,

Flat pack furniture is a Great British past time...... :D

DIY is off the scale over here!! Everyone does it...... Every Sunday down B&Q for about 4 hours, buy some flat-furniture and spend the next 24 hours building the things..... It's like a sport here!!!:p

I'm being deadly serious here!! you guys have NASCAR we have MFI Checkouts..... both are Hi-Octane, ultra-competitive, agressive fun, fun, fun......:p :p :p

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by iGAV
dukestreet,
DIY is off the scale over here!! Everyone does it...... Every Sunday down B&Q for about 4 hours, buy some flat-furniture and spend the next 24 hours building the things..... It's like a sport here!!!:p

DIY? or is it BIY (Build it yourself)

So do you have competitions to see who can build it the fastest, with out errors, etc? That sounds crazy. Do your flat pack furniture (great word/description by the way, not used here in the states) come with their own little tools and strange hardware connectors? Ikea stuff does. I've got a box of extras and tools that aren't really good for anything but Ikea furniture.

blakespot

Administrator
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
Originally posted by dukestreet

DIY? or is it BIY (Build it yourself)

So do you have competitions to see who can build it the fastest, with out errors, etc? That sounds crazy. Do your flat pack furniture (great word/description by the way, not used here in the states) come with their own little tools and strange hardware connectors? Ikea stuff does. I've got a box of extras and tools that aren't really good for anything but Ikea furniture.

Indeed, all those alan wrenches. I think they're called spanners in Britain.

blakespot

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.