Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cboteros

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2010
It worked for me... for 1 day only... :-(

Hello everyone,

I found this forum while searching how to play Zero Hour in Maveriks, and I was happy to find the solution that TGP shared in here, it worked like a charm and I had a nice Skirmish time!

But... happiness didn't last long... since yesterday (February 26th) this didn't work anymore... and I think it is because of an update (now I'm under 10.9.2)

I tried running directly the "Zero Hour" executable file (the one inside "Zero Hour.app/Contents/MacOS/" package) and this is the output I got in the terminal window:

Code:
Last login: Fri Feb 28 01:00:30 on ttys001
/Applications/Command\ \&\ Conquer\ Generals/Zero\ Hour/Zero\ Hour.app/Contents/MacOS/Zero\ Hour ; exit;
Makinami:~ cboteros$ /Applications/Command\ \&\ Conquer\ Generals/Zero\ Hour/Zero\ Hour.app/Contents/MacOS/Zero\ Hour ; exit;
dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found: _gliCreateContextWithShared
  Referenced from: /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Resources/GLEngine.bundle/GLEngine
  Expected in: flat namespace

dyld: Symbol not found: _gliCreateContextWithShared
  Referenced from: /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Resources/GLEngine.bundle/GLEngine

logout

[Process completed]

Then I run the "Zero Hour_bin" executable file and this is the output I got in the terminal:

Code:
Last login: Fri Feb 28 01:20:19 on ttys002
/Applications/Command\ \&\ Conquer\ Generals/Zero\ Hour/Zero\ Hour.app/Contents/MacOS/Zero\ Hour_bin ; exit;
Makinami:~ cboteros$ /Applications/Command\ \&\ Conquer\ Generals/Zero\ Hour/Zero\ Hour.app/Contents/MacOS/Zero\ Hour_bin ; exit;
dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found: _OTAtomicAdd16
  Referenced from: /Applications/Command & Conquer Generals/Zero Hour/Zero Hour.app/Contents/MacOS/Zero Hour_bin
  Expected in: /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Carbon

dyld: Symbol not found: _OTAtomicAdd16
  Referenced from: /Applications/Command & Conquer Generals/Zero Hour/Zero Hour.app/Contents/MacOS/Zero Hour_bin
  Expected in: /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Carbon

Trace/BPT trap: 5
logout

[Process completed]

Perhaps some more "frameworks" are needed now after this latest update?

imrodmartin

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2014
same here...

really hoping someone has some insight here :)

Appreciate everyone who got this working before 10.9.2

edumac

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2013
really hoping someone has some insight here :)

Appreciate everyone who got this working before 10.9.2

I just tried again few minutes ago and it works

I don't remember to download any patch or program after update but :

- I renamed all .ini files (parameters)
- I repaired all permissions
- I restarted

imrodmartin

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2014
hmmm not for me

- I restarted

Hi edumac

I repaired permissions and restarted. - no joy
Where are the .ini files / parameters please? I haven't had to deal with those before.

The specific error I'm getting from the Problem Report is:
Dyld Error Message:
Symbol not found: _gliCreateContextWithShared

again - as for others - was working before this last update from Apple.

spain007

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2014
some thing wrong!!!

hi

i just follow the instructions posted tpg and this is what happened when i run zero hour.app :
nothing show up (before theres error window because of open framework)
when i run the zero hour executable i made from the script below:

#!/usr/bin/env python

def main():
import os
path = os.path.dirname(os.path.realpath(__file__))
command='DYLD_FORCE_FLAT_NAMESPACE=1 DYLD_INSERT_LIBRARIES="{0}/OpenTransport" "{0}/Zero Hour_bin"'.format(path)
import subprocess
subprocess.call(command, shell=True)

if __name__ == '__main__':
main()

i got this error :

Last login: Sat Mar 1 16:42:35 on ttys001
Alomars-MacBook-Pro:~ khalidalomar$ /Applications/Command\ \&\ Conquer\ Generals/Zero\ Hour/Zero\ Hour.app/Contents/MacOS/zero\ hour ; exit;
env: python\r: No such file or directory
logout

[Process completed]

i checked every step twice but i can't figure out whats wrong please help

i checked the macos inside the zero hour app content and every thing is fine i thought

total 78448
drwxrwxrwx 5 khalidalomar admin 170 Mar 1 16:22 .
drwxrwxrwx 6 khalidalomar admin 204 Dec 5 2006 ..
-rwxrwxrwx 1 khalidalomar admin 148176 Mar 1 14:01 OpenTransport
-rwxrwxrwx 1 khalidalomar admin 40008712 Dec 7 2006 Zero Hour_bin
-rwxr-xr-x 1 khalidalomar admin 320 Mar 1 16:20 zero hour

i hope u can help :)

edumac

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2013
Hi edumac

Where are the .ini files / parameters please? I haven't had to deal with those before.

Dyld Error Message:

into USER DATA folder

pseymour88

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2014
im cofused.

i see all this stuff dealing with terminal and it gives me a headache, i tried downloading a patch for zero hour and after installing it and even after restarting i am getting the same results as before. someone please help. i just want to play zero hour!

Blogger52

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2014
i see all this stuff dealing with terminal and it gives me a headache, i tried downloading a patch for zero hour and after installing it and even after restarting i am getting the same results as before. someone please help. i just want to play zero hour!

The ONLY one who can help is tpg@, so once again tpg@ please helps :D

Madd the Sane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010
Utah
Okay, first, the reason:
The "_OT" at the beginning tells me all I need to know about why said game is crashing: It is using an Open Transport symbol for atomic operations. Open Transport has been REMOVED in 10.9. In fact, an app that I'm working on almost had this issue before I found a replacement.

What is Open Transport:
Open Transport was a framework from back in the Classic days (7.5 comes to mind, but it may be older) used for networking. The paradigm used by Open Transport didn't catch on, but BSD sockets did. When the move to OS X occurred, BSD sockets joined the APIs available for Mac programmers. Open Transport was deprecated in 10.4, with the C declarations being completely removed in 10.5.

The fix:
The Open Transport framework from an earlier version of OS X may work, but it will also likely break some other part of the game/code. Sadly, there are only two good, possible fixes for this problem: Downgrade to an earlier version of OS X, or wait for a patch from the developer. If it only uses Open Transport for the byte swapping functions, it shouldn't be that hard to patch the code. However, if they used Open Transport for networking, then the atomic operation replacements will make it run, but won't make it access even the local network (Warcraft 3 has that issue).

ErkityHaizq

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2014
At my limit

Ok, i dont know what i am doing wrong but i am at a point and i cant get any further...

So i am on 10.9.2 so i dont know if this method is now not working or whatever but i really wanna get back on playing for this game.

I located the OpenTransport File from Google.
I Show package contents of the Zero hour in my applications folder, i open contects then MacOS and put the file in there.

I then Re named the Zero Hour file that was in that folder also to Zero Hour_bin

I then made a .txt file with the code in
#!/usr/bin/env python

def main():
import os
command='DYLD_FORCE_FLAT_NAMESPACE=1 DYLD_INSERT_LIBRARIES="{0}/OpenTransport" "{0}/Zero Hour_bin"'.format(path)
import subprocess

main()

and saved that as Zero Hour
I moved that in to the MacOS folder and here is where i am at my whits end.
I am tryin the chmod +x Zero\ Hour and its not working, i have tried the mv "Zero Hour.txt" "Zero Hour" and the response i get on both is 'No such file or directory found' i have tried putting the Zero hour txt file on the desktop in documents to see if that made a difference but it aint lol the terminal cant see to find that file...

Is there something i have done wrong or need to do. Maybe its basic but this is my first go at this lol :p
Any help would be good, thanks!

edumac

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2013
Zero Hour exe must be named "Zero Hour_bin"
Zero Hour text file doesn't have any extension !!!
Open Transport file size is 148 176 bytes

edumac

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2013
Ok, i dont know what i am doing wrong but i am at a point and i cant get any further...

So i am on 10.9.2 so i dont know if this method is now not working or whatever but i really wanna get back on playing for this game.

I Show package contents of the Zero hour in my applications folder, i open contects then MacOS and put the file in there.

I then Re named the Zero Hour file that was in that folder also to Zero Hour_bin

#!/usr/bin/env python

def main():
import os
import subprocess

main()

I am tryin the chmod +x Zero\ Hour and its not working, i have tried the mv "Zero Hour.txt" "Zero Hour" and the response i get on both is 'No such file or directory found' i have tried putting the Zero hour txt file on the desktop in documents to see if that made a difference but it aint lol the terminal cant see to find that file...

Is there something i have done wrong or need to do. Maybe its basic but this is my first go at this lol :p

Does it work ?

discosoap

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2008
The Netherlands
Hi edumac

Dyld Error Message:

Got the same problem since updating to 10.9.2. Worked fine before updating.

- I restarted

what new names did you give the .ini files to make it work with 10.9.2 then? You're only talking about "options.ini", "skirmish.ini" & skirmishstats.ini" in the "C&C/zero hour/user data" folder right??

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! :)

edumac

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2013
Thanks for your reply:

However, my folder "C&C/zero hour/user data" only contains the "options.ini", "skirmish.ini" & skirmishstats.ini" files, and no "network.ini :confused:

You stated that:

What new names did you give these .ini files in order to make it work??

I renamed them so that Zero hour creates new files

imrodmartin

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2014
Just want to say thanks

especially to edumac!! Thanks so much - finally got it working (have been away for a bit).

Really appreciate all the time/advice - I know its just a game ... but its such a good one :)

THANKS!!

Rod

jimorbe

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2014
Las Vegas
Zero Hour on Mavericks 10.9.2

I followed all instructions in this thread without any problems encountered except when I double click on the zero hour app to start the game, nothing happens. It won't start. I am sure I did everything right including renaming the ini files. What seems to be the problem?

I'd appreciate any help. Thanks in advance!

discosoap

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2008
The Netherlands
I made a video manual for 10.9.2

Hi edumac

Dyld Error Message:

#!/usr/bin/env python

def main():
import os
import subprocess

main()

I followed all instructions in this thread without any problems encountered except when I double click on the zero hour app to start the game, nothing happens. It won't start. I am sure I did everything right including renaming the ini files. What seems to be the problem?

I'd appreciate any help. Thanks in advance!

I made a video of the process based on the helpful response of some of our community members (hat tip to all). Works with 10.9.2 consistently. Remember to navigate to the Command & Conquer/Zero hour/Zero hour.app/Contents/MacOS folder in Terminal before you enter the command with:
Code:
cd full/path/to/cc/Zero\ Hour/Zero\ Hour.app/Contents/MacOS
(Note in the video and the command above that I renamed my Command & Conquer folder to "cc" for convenience). The only problem I sometimes encounter is that the Terminal command leads to a "no data file" alert. Just replace the Zero Hour.app file with the original from the .dmg or dvd, and follow the video again ;)

Happy games to all !!

ps: I never got the python script to work, as I am probably lacking some skill, therefore I just start the Zero Hour.app with the Terminal command, which works fine for me

Last edited:

jimorbe

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2014
Las Vegas
I think we need more information in order to help. What are you doing? Where in the process does it go wrong? What errors do you encounter? Etc.

I downloaded OpenTransport and placed it in the MacOS folder of the Zero Hour Contents folder, renamed the original Zero Hour file to "Zero Hour_bin" and then ran the terminal command while making sure that I have changed directory (cd) to the correct path. After I execute the terminal command, nothing happens. And when I double click the Zero Hour app to launch the game, nothing happens.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks again for your help.

discosoap

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2008
The Netherlands
I downloaded OpenTransport and placed it in the MacOS folder of the Zero Hour Contents folder, renamed the original Zero Hour file to "Zero Hour_bin" and then ran the terminal command while making sure that I have changed directory (cd) to the correct path. After I execute the terminal command, nothing happens. And when I double click the Zero Hour app to launch the game, nothing happens.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks again for your help.

Just follow the video exactly. Don't rename the Zero Hour executable in CC/Zero Hour/Zero Hour.app/Contents/MacOS to Zero Hour_bin, just leave the original file as it is. "CC/Zero Hour/Zero Hour.app/Contents/MacOS" is the path where you should navigate to in Terminal before you enter the command. Don't forget to remove the .ini files in "Zero Hour/User Data-folder". Try it and see what happens.

jimorbe

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2014
Las Vegas
Just follow the video exactly. Don't rename the Zero Hour executable in CC/Zero Hour/Zero Hour.app/Contents/MacOS to Zero Hour_bin, just leave the original file as it is. "CC/Zero Hour/Zero Hour.app/Contents/MacOS" is the path where you should navigate to in Terminal before you enter the command. Don't forget to remove the .ini files in "Zero Hour/User Data-folder". Try it and see what happens.

Okay, I still can't get it to work. I left the original file as it is. Also, I have no User Data folder in Zero Hour. This is probably because I haven't launched [and played] the game before. So I don't see any .ini files that I can trash.

Here is the error I get from terminal after I execute the command. Any other ideas? Thanks in advance.

Last login: Thu Apr 10 14:56:48 on ttys000
Macintosh:~ Jim$ cd /Applications/CC/Zero\ Hour/Zero\ Hour.app/Contents/MacOS/
Macintosh:MacOS Jim$ DYLD_FORCE_FLAT_NAMESPACE=1 DYLD_LIBRARIES= /Applications/CC/Zero\ Hour/Zero\ Hour.app/Contents/MacOS/OpenTransport ./Zero\ Hour
-bash: /Applications/CC/Zero Hour/Zero Hour.app/Contents/MacOS/OpenTransport: Permission denied

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.