Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
I just installed MyWi on my 3G iPad and was able to then connect my laptop to to the iPad and use it's 3G service to access the internet. Worked great.

This means that you should be able to connect anything, like a Blackberry or desktop/laptop.

Imidazole

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2004
I'm curious how fast it drains the ipads battery. Based on what I see on the iPhone i would guess 45 minutes.

Whorehay

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
I'm curious how fast it drains the ipads battery. Based on what I see on the iPhone i would guess 45 minutes.

I think the general consensus was that it drains about 10% on the iPhone every 30 minutes with regular, but not intense usage.

wombat888

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2008
I think the general consensus was that it drains about 10% on the iPhone every 30 minutes with regular, but not intense usage.

You mean the iPad's battery or is that still unknown? I'd think the iPad battery would hold up better than an iPhone battery.

Whorehay

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
You mean the iPad's battery or is that still unknown? I'd think the iPad battery would hold up better than an iPhone battery.

Nope, I was just mentioning to him that the general consensus is that the iPhone drains about 10-20% every 30 minutes, which turns out to be about 2.5 hrs to 5 hours depending on usage. (He said that he was guessing the iPad will last around 45 minutes on tethering.)

This is the first report I've seen where MyWi has worked on an iPad 3G so we'll see how it turns out.

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Whorehay said:

+1

Just started MyWi tethering on my 3GS today and this figure is exactly my findings, as well.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
I've heard that it was closer to 2-3 hours of battery life using MyWi on an iPhone 3GS. TUAW said that MyWi drains battery even when their iPhone was charging, so it supposedly drains your iPhone by a pretty big amount. Five hours sounds great, especially with a battery pack. You really wouldn't need a 3G iPad ;).

Ikyo

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2008
Which version did you install? I have heard that only certain ones work.

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
I've heard that it was closer to 2-3 hours of battery life using MyWi on an iPhone 3GS. TUAW said that MyWi drains battery even when their iPhone was charging, so it supposedly drains your iPhone by a pretty big amount. Five hours sounds great, especially with a battery pack. You really wouldn't need a 3G iPad ;).

You can charge an iPhone while using mywi. My car charger and wall charger will charge my iPhone regardless of how intensively I'm using mywi.

Coukos34

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
I just installed MyWi on my 3G iPad and was able to then connect my laptop to to the iPad and use it's 3G service to access the internet. Worked great.

This means that you should be able to connect anything, like a Blackberry or desktop/laptop.

Not to be a dick but, thats what MyWy does. It makes itself into a wifi hotspot (ie accessible from anything that can connect to wifi). Glad that you got it to work, but I don't think anyone was wondering if you could do this.

mayassa

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2008
Not to be a dick but, thats what MyWy does. It makes itself into a wifi hotspot (ie accessible from anything that can connect to wifi). Glad that you got it to work, but I don't think anyone was wondering if you could do this.

I was:rolleyes:

Ikyo

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2008
I have tried a couple versions and don't get any of them to actually showup in my applications for some reason.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010

You realize that this was MyWi ON THE IPAD right? Everyone already knew it would work to turn your iPhone into a hotspot. You knew 100% it would work on the iPad too without testing it?

TriHFH

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2007

Are you using the no rock version? Are you able to successfully disable the mywi after enabling it? Mine works fine while enabled, but it won't disable and I am forced to do reboot my iPad to get the blue status bar to disappear...

Ikyo

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2008
I accidentally installed the ROCK version and my iPad froze up. I had to SSH in and reboot it. I removed ROCK because I guess there are some issues with it.

Ikyo

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2008
Are you using the no rock version? Are you able to successfully disable the mywi after enabling it? Mine works fine while enabled, but it won't disable and I am forced to do reboot my iPad to get the blue status bar to disappear...

Ever figure out which one to install?

BIG BOSS

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2009
Can AT&T tell the difference between using your 3g iPad or using your 3GS as a hot spot for you iPad? I don't want to pay $30 bucks apiece. Since I bought my ipad 3g I haven't used my iPhone much for the internet.

OceanView

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2005
So how long does the battery on the iPad 3G last when using MyWi?
Does it last only say 5-6 hours now instead of the 9-10 hours?

djrobsd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2008
MyWi + Jailbroken iPhone = Saving $149 on my iPad Purchase (got the Wifi one instead of the 3GS), and saving $30 a month on having to buy an extra data plan! WIN WIN!!

iPadztr

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2010
Pluto avenue
i'm wondering, if the HTC HD2 would be able to use the iPad hotspot as a Wifi for 3G connection. I know T-Mobile HTC HD2 does not work with ATT 3G connection, but what if iPad hotspot as a wifi connection? Anyone?

linrey

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2007
Silicon Valley
Working on my iPad 3G

My route to mywi started with the Rock version, which registered the iPad, but it wouldn't work. I uninstalled it and got the no Rock version from Cydia. Since I'd already bought it, it downloaded fine. It runs and gives me a wifi net for my iTouch and Macbook. Yay!

iPadztr

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2010
Pluto avenue
My route to mywi started with the Rock version, which registered the iPad, but it wouldn't work. I uninstalled it and got the no Rock version from Cydia. Since I'd already bought it, it downloaded fine. It runs and gives me a wifi net for my iTouch and Macbook. Yay!

i'm assuming this would be the same if you have HTC HD2 right? :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.