Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HoosierInFL

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2007
I installed the No Rock version and it keeps crashing when trying to make an account, so I can't use it at all.

Nikos

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2008
New York
Does it work in conjunction with backgrounder so I can still use a 3G iPad while it's a hotspot?

gadgetfreaky1

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2010
can't get it to work

I installed mywi from Cydia, the trial version. I can't seem to get a wifi network, although I think it shows an ad-hoc one?

i can't get my thinkpad to connect or my palm pre (which can't see ad-hoc's)

What's the rock vs. no rock? I noticed that installing mywi from cydi it installed a Rock application.

Is that the same?

cpnotebook80

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2007
Toronto
MyWi + Jailbroken iPhone = Saving $149 on my iPad Purchase (got the Wifi one instead of the 3GS), and saving $30 a month on having to buy an extra data plan! WIN WIN!!

+1
I went up to cottage this weekend with the ipad and iphone n mywi.
I left the iphone in the dock charger and turned myfi on.
I walked around with the ipad and even guests didnt use their laptop, they just used the ipad.
It was fast enough so i didnt complain.

i had one issue regarding WEP which throws the signal off for ipad. I read on apple support to use WPA and not WEP due to the wifi issues.

But i didnt notice any issues.

And yes i save money from the 3G and the ridiculous monthly costs from Rogers here.

cpnotebook80

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2007
Toronto
I installed mywi from Cydia, the trial version. I can't seem to get a wifi network, although I think it shows an ad-hoc one?

What's the rock vs. no rock? I noticed that installing mywi from cydi it installed a Rock application.

Is that the same?

Rock is an app like Cydia that installs JB apps etc.
Maybe myfi needed an extension that only get by having rock installed.

dont mind having both anyways

lokerd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Beaumont
Nikos said:
Does it work in conjunction with backgrounder so I can still use a 3G iPad while it's a hotspot?

Yes, I can confirm this. I had my 3G pad providing a wifi signal for my wides wifi device and it was perfect. We were both browsing in the car looking for a repair company while on the side of the road.

Fry-man22

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2007

There's no need to "background" MyWi - the connection persists on my iPhone after closing the app and I don't even have backgrounder installed anymore...

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2007
NJ

Is that the same?

No rock version can only be used if you purchase the regular version through rock first.

gadgetfreaky1

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2010
Yes, I can confirm this. I had my 3G pad providing a wifi signal for my wides wifi device and it was perfect. We were both browsing in the car looking for a repair company while on the side of the road.

I can't seem to get this this this to work. Did u install no rock?

Also does it create a infrastructure wifi access point or ad-hoc? I can't get any device to see it.

Safari King

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2009
North Carolina
Not to be a dick but, thats what MyWy does. It makes itself into a wifi hotspot (ie accessible from anything that can connect to wifi). Glad that you got it to work, but I don't think anyone was wondering if you could do this.

I was wondering about this today, as a matter of fact. I have an unlimited data plan on the iPad and now I can forget about signing up for tethering with ATT, instead just use my 3g connection when needing to use my MacBook Pro.

I don't want to hack my iphone....

cy88

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2006
Toronto, Ontario
I was wondering about this today, as a matter of fact. I have an unlimited data plan on the iPad and now I can forget about signing up for tethering with ATT, instead just use my 3g connection when needing to use my MacBook Pro.

I don't want to hack my iphone....

But you are going to have to hack your ipad to do this.

gadgetfreaky1

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2010
Has anyone figured out a step by step on how to get this on the iPad 3G? I want to get my laptop to be able to use my unlimited data on the iPad and then I can get rid of my mifi.

I installed through cydia, it installed rock, I bought it for the $10. It didn't work, so I uninstalled rock, and mywi, then installed the no rock version. Still no go.

Does anyone know if this is supposed to broadcast an infrastructure wifi? Or only ad-hoc?

I just uninstalled it hopping there's an update.

h8att

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2010
Has anyone figured out a step by step on how to get this on the iPad 3G? I want to get my laptop to be able to use my unlimited data on the iPad and then I can get rid of my mifi.

I installed through cydia, it installed rock, I bought it for the $10. It didn't work, so I uninstalled rock, and mywi, then installed the no rock version. Still no go.

Does anyone know if this is supposed to broadcast an infrastructure wifi? Or only ad-hoc?

I just uninstalled it hopping there's an update.

Yes I would like to know how to do this too! Thanks guys for your help!

ajaswal

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2010
No rock version can only be used if you purchase the regular version through rock first.

Is there a way to buy it without using Rock?

And if the connection persists how do you finally close the app since even after i turn off the wifi sharing i still have that blue bar on the status bar.

rsuryase

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2010
I installed MyWi Cracked 3.4.3 on ipad 3g, it's able to broadcast a wifi network but no bar on wifi signal strength. The only device that can see the wifi network is the ipad 3g itself. It didn't work for me. What is the maximum distance between two devices before it's unable to read the wifi signal?

rsuryase

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2010
I installed 3.5.2 and I get full bars on the wifi signal strength, Problem is you wifi devices needs to be able to see ad hoc wifi networks. I read Ipod/Iphone can see ad hoc, laptops, computers can too. Android can't at the moment.

gadgetfreaky1

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2010
really surprised no one wants this or has gotten it to work. I hope they update the app to support the ipad.

rsuryase

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2010
really surprised no one wants this or has gotten it to work. I hope they update the app to support the ipad.

I got it to work. You have to JB your ipad and install the latest version of MyWi but only Ipod/iphone and computers can connect to your ipad's ad hoc wifi.

idonotliketostu

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2008
MyWi works after installation but screws up my iPad if I reboot the iPad.

For those that successfully installed MyWi onto the iPad 3G. Can you confirm that AFTER you reboot the iPad 3G with MyWi installed, the interface isn't screwed up?

If the interface isn't messed up, please indicate MyWi version number and if using Cydia or Rock.

rsuryase

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2010
Yes the blue tethering indicator bar stays on top even when MyWi is closed but I don't consider this messing up the interface. I installed 3.5.2, I paid for it.

romeo.xk

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2009
MyWi works after installation but screws up my iPad if I reboot the iPad.

For those that successfully installed MyWi onto the iPad 3G. Can you confirm that AFTER you reboot the iPad 3G with MyWi installed, the interface isn't screwed up?

If the interface isn't messed up, please indicate MyWi version number and if using Cydia or Rock.

Just install SBSettings, and respring after a reboot, it will take care of the interface...

idonotliketostu

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2008
Yes the blue tethering indicator bar stays on top even when MyWi is closed but I don't consider this messing up the interface. I installed 3.5.2, I paid for it.

I was referring to the UI going into weird iphone mode, SBsettings resping fixed the problem as recommended by the previous user.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.