Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Canubis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
Vienna, Austria
What's the best way to connect the Apple Cinema Display 30" (which features a single DVI cable) to a modern Mac using USB-C? In specific the latest MacBook Pro 13" (2020).

Has anyone been successful finding a working adapter for this setup?

What I found / tried so far:
  • ? There's lots of USB-C to DVI adapters, but most are DVI single link only. The Cinema Display 30" requires DVI dual link to run at full 2560x1600. So this rules out a lot of adapters.
  • ? Club 3D USB Typ C to Dual Link DVI-D active adapter – purchased from Amazon.de: outputs image at 2560x1600 as expected (after manual selection in system preferences with help of ALT key). But there's lots of "visual noise", i.e. flickering pixels, esp. noticeable in dark image areas.
  • ? Club 3D support sent me a special version of above adapter when I asked them for support re. the flickering pixels. (They believe the source for this is the Cinema Display's lack of HDCP support, so they have a special version without HDCP support, which is known to work better with Cinema Displays.) However, this modified adapter does not output any image on the Cinema Display 30" at all – weirdly it works with a Cinema Display 20" though. (Just an educated guess, but it may have to do with the 20" doesn't require DVI dual link while the 30" does.)
  • ? Ultra HDTV USB-C to Mini-Displayport Adapter – used together with the Apple Mini-Displayport to DVI Adapter(which has a separate USB cable to be connected for power(?)). There is no image output on the Cinema Display using this setup, but a warning appears that a USB device draws too much power.
    • I tried to connect the separate USB cable of the Apple Mini-Displayport to DVI Adapter to several power sources without any difference (USB-C Hub with several USB-A ports connected to the MBP, 2 iPhone and iPad USB-Adapters and also the USB-A port of my old MBA, which I used to connect this display to before.)
    • I also tried without success to connect the USB-C to Mini-Displayport Adapter to all 4 ports of the MBP, both with or without another USB-C cable connected to the MBP for power – just incased of any weird side-effects with USB.

Disclaimer: previously I used that Cinema Display without any issue both with my
  • cMP (2009, with direct DVI output) and
  • MBA (2011, through the above mentioned Apple Mini-Displayport to DVI adapter)

Last edited:

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Reactions: Canubis

Canubis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
Vienna, Austria
Last edited:
Reactions: tevion5

Canubis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
Vienna, Austria
You need to connect the USB cable to your computer.

The MBP13 (2020) has only USB-C ports while the additional USB cable of the Apple Mini-DisplayPort to DVI adapter is USB-A. So, I already tried to connect it through a USB-C to USB-A hub to the MacBook, to a power outlet and to a USB-A port of another computer – no effect no matter what I tried. That's why I am wondering how @tevion5 solved this. :)

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
The MBP13 (2020) has only USB-C ports while the additional USB cable of the Apple Mini-DisplayPort to DVI adapter is USB-A. So, I already tried to connect it through a USB-C to USB-A hub to the MacBook, to a power outlet and to a USB-A port of another computer – no effect no matter what I tried. That's why I am wondering how @tevion5 solved this. :)
I would use a simple USB-C to USB-A adapter and plug it directly into the computer.

Canubis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
Vienna, Austria
@chrfr - thanks for you input. That's what I already tried but it didn't work:
I tried to connect the separate USB cable of the Apple Mini-Displayport to DVI Adapter to several power sources without any difference (USB-C Hub with several USB-A ports connected to the MBP, 2 iPhone and iPad USB-Adapters and also the USB-A port of my old MBA, which I used to connect this display to before.)
Hence why I esp. interested in the exact setup of others who made this work. :)

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
Did you connect the extra USB-A cable from the Apple Mini-DisplayPort to DVI adapter to an external power plug, a USB hub or not at all?

The Mac Pro 7,1 has x2 USB-A ports on the back fortunately so I was able to just use one of them. Have since added an extra PCI-E card for x4 more USB-A 3.0 ports, the benefits of having PCI-E slots!

I have a USB-C to USB-A adapter that work's pretty well, I'm guessing you could use that, although I appreciate using multiple adapters with a MacBook starts to get a bit clunky.

A bit more on the expensive side, but ideally you might look at a Thunderbolt dock that included a DisplayPort/MiniDP output and some USB-A slots. That way you could leave the 30" ACD connected to that dock and just use on TB cable to connect the dock to your MBP.
[automerge]1597672906[/automerge]

Canubis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
Vienna, Austria
@tevion5 - having native USB-A ports on the Mac Pro 7,1 definitely seems like a huge benefit!

May I ask which USB-C to USB-A adapter you use?

Good idea about the dock, though they're quite expensive, at least the ones with miniDP output. And for everything besides the Cinema Display my current cheap USB hub is perfectly fine.

Is this the CHOETECH USB-C to Mini DisplayPort adapter that works for you? If so, I'd give that one a try instead of my non-working ? Ultra HDTV USB-C to Mini-Displayport Adapter

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
@tevion5 - having native USB-A ports on the Mac Pro 7,1 definitely seems like a huge benefit!

May I ask which USB-C to USB-A adapter you use?

Is this the CHOETECH USB-C to Mini DisplayPort adapter that works for you? If so, I'd give that one a try instead of my non-working ? Ultra HDTV USB-C to Mini-Displayport Adapter

Gave it to my mother for her MBA actually so can't recall exactly which one it was! Was some good quality single USB-C male to USB-A female adapter, any one like that should be fine afaik.

Yes that Choetech adapter is exactly the one I have, works perfectly, can vouch for it working on my MP 7,1. I'd be surprised if there was any difference using it with a 2020 MBP.

Canubis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
Vienna, Austria
The Choetech adapter finally arrived (took much longer than expected) and I am super happy – it actually works!
NO errors, even the full display resolution of the Cinema Display is automatically detected.

So here's my final working setup, just incase someone else is looking into the same problem:
  1. MacBook Pro 13" (2020)
  2. Choetech USB-C to Mini DisplayPort adapter
  3. Apple Mini DisplayPort to Dual Link DVI adapter (no longer available, try ebay etc.)
  4. Apple Cinema Display 30"
  5. Cheap USB-C 11in1 hub (to connect the USB-A cable of the Apple Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter for extra power)
Thanks so very much again @tevion5 – your advice totally saved me from giving another half dozen adapters a try before finding a working one/giving up! :)

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
The Choetech adapter finally arrived (took much longer than expected) and I am super happy – it actually works!

Thanks so very much again @tevion5 – your advice totally saved me from giving another half dozen adapters a try before finding a working one/giving up! :)

Happy to be helpful, glad to know it's up and running!

arthursiew

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2008
SF Bay Area
NO errors, even the full display resolution of the Cinema Display is automatically detected.

So here's my final working setup, just incase someone else is looking into the same problem:
  1. MacBook Pro 13" (2020)
  2. Choetech USB-C to Mini DisplayPort adapter
  3. Apple Mini DisplayPort to Dual Link DVI adapter (no longer available, try ebay etc.)
  4. Apple Cinema Display 30"
  5. Cheap USB-C 11in1 hub (to connect the USB-A cable of the Apple Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter for extra power)

I’m basically running the same set up for my MBP late 2016 model, but it isn’t working. It seems to detect the display but the display remains black. What could I be doing wrong?

Canubis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
Vienna, Austria
I’m basically running the same set up for my MBP late 2016 model, but it isn’t working. It seems to detect the display but the display remains black. What could I be doing wrong?
I noticed it can be required to first connect the extra USB-A cable from the Apple Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter for power, wait a few seconds for the adapter firmware to boot and only then connect the Chotech adapter (being already connected to the MiniDisplay Port to DVI Adapter) to my MacBook. Possibly that helps for you as well?

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
Hi, did you get it to work? I'm trying to figure out how to run my 30" ACD from my (to be ordered) M1 MacBook Air.

Thanks!

Canubis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
Vienna, Austria
@Tozovac - for me the Choetech USB-C to Mini DisplayPort was the missing link. But it seems some adapters work with some Mac models but not with other Macs (even when both have the same USB-C ports). Sometimes I feel even 2 of the same adapter model behave differently, possibly depending on internal revision or firmware and you may have to try 2-3 before you find a working solution.

Incase you do not already own the quite expensive and no longer available (at least not new) Apple Mini DisplayPort to Dual Link DVI adapter, there may be a different solution, i.e. going with a single cable instead of 2 adapters. @tevion5's thread may be helpful: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/mac-pro-2019-apple-cinema-display-30.2217164/

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
I just tried connecting the USB-A end of my mini DisplayPort - to DL DVI adapter to an iPad charging brick (plugged that in first) then plugged the mini display port jack into my 2014 MBA and the 30" ACD fired up fine.

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
@Tozovac - for me the Choetech USB-C to Mini DisplayPort was the missing link. But it seems some adapters work with some Mac models but not with other Macs (even when both have the same USB-C ports). Sometimes I feel even 2 of the same adapter model behave differently, possibly depending on internal revision or firmware and you may have to try 2-3 before you find a working solution.

Incase you do not already own the quite expensive and no longer available (at least not new) Apple Mini DisplayPort to Dual Link DVI adapter, there may be a different solution, i.e. going with a single cable instead of 2 adapters. @tevion5's thread may be helpful: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/mac-pro-2019-apple-cinema-display-30.2217164/
Hey thanks!

Luckily I bought this a few years ago and it works pretty well.

Glad you started this thread!

Screen Shot 2020-11-17 at 5.16.45 PM.png

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
Ugh, thank you.

By the way that link doesn't take me to any specific product.

But I think I found that Cheotech item on Ebay...I may just buy in and see.

grimacefry

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2021
I had most success going USB-C (ThunderBolt 3) to DisplayPort, then to Mini DisplayPort, and then using the Apple Dual-Link adapter (which has to be powered by USB).
I tried the Club 3D adapter which does work, but I found it glitchy and unstable, takes 6-8 seconds to turn on, and you have to hold Option in System Preferences to be able to select the full resolution. Below solution works flawlessly, just a bit messy.

Specific adapter

Attachments

• IMG_3644.JPG
    IMG_3644.JPG
    488.8 KB · Views: 404

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
I am going to try the suggested Plugable -> Startech -> Apple Dual-DVI route for my 30" Apple Display. From my 15" MacBook Pro 2018. Fingers crossed.
Save a USB-C port by replacing the Plugable and Startech with a Cable Matters USB-C Multiport adapter.
https://www.cablematters.com/pc-1291-126-usb-type-c-multiport-adapter-with-dual-displayport-pd.aspx
It doesn't support USB 3.0 which means the DisplayPorts get full 4 lanes.
It is bus powered (doesn't require power supply) but has a power delivery input for charging.
It supports DisplayPort 1.4. Other hubs might only support DisplayPort 1.2.

They have another adapter:
https://www.cablematters.com/pc-129...iport-adapter-with-triple-displayport-pd.aspx
It supports USB 3.0, which means the DisplayPort only has two lanes, but it has an MST Hub, so it can convert two lanes of HBR3 to four lanes of HBR2 (75% bandwidth of DisplayPort 1.2 if DSC is not used but you only need four lanes of HBR with the DisplayPort to Dual Link DVI adapters).

Maybe you can find a less expensive option. If the USB-C dock or hub or multiport adapter only has one display output, then it means it doesn't have an MST Hub so you need to make sure it supports only USB 2.0, otherwise it won't have the four lanes required for the DisplayPort to Dual Link DVI adapters. USB 3.x support is ok only if it has an MST Hub. In macOS, you can't use the MST Hub for multiple displays but it should work for one display.

Reactions: Amethyst1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.