Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chars1ub0w

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2017
Here, there and over there
I can report back it works! The quality is definitely pre-Retina, you can see every pixel, and the menus wobble, and it's not bright, but it works! I've wasted money previously on adapters trying to get it to work before, so I ordered this exact combo. 2018 15" MacBook Pro. Thank you GrimaceFry!
IMG_8829.jpeg

chars1ub0w

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2017
Here, there and over there
Well, that was short-lived. I unplugged it. And then I can't get it to come up again despite rebooting and plugging/unplugging. Detect Displays. Into and out of Safe Mode. Nope. Show up in the Device Tree but not in the Displays panel. Any suggestions?
Screen Shot 2021-08-14 at 8.35.52 PM.png

Last edited:

Canubis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
Vienna, Austria
Since there's a few users here using the aging Apple mini Displayport to Dual Link DVI Adapter here: when playing games, movies or basically any constantly moving, fluid content, did you ever notice some stuttering?
Like a frame being stuck for a few moments every 2-3 seconds?

I am still using my setup of the Choetech USB-C adapter, Apple miniDisplayPort to Dual Link DVI adapter and the Cinema Display 3" and noticed this stuttering for quite a while. You won't notice it when you only do office work or Photoshop but when playing some games, watching videos or even just a screensaver it's very noticable.

The issue also happens when I switch the Choetech USB-C to miniDisplayPort with different DisplayPort to miniDisplayPort adapter (connected to another Mac). So I can rule out it's neither the Mac nor the USB-C adapter.

However, when I use a Club 3D USB-C to Dual Link DVI adapter (which has other issues like random image artifacts), gameplay or videos playback buttery smooth without these stutters.

Has anybody with the similar setup noticed this as well? Is it "normal" or is my Apple adapter possibly dying?

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
Since there's a few users here using the aging Apple mini Displayport to Dual Link DVI Adapter here: when playing games, movies or basically any constantly moving, fluid content, did you ever notice some stuttering?
Like a frame being stuck for a few moments every 2-3 seconds?

I actually experienced this on my 2019 Mac Pro before I sold it. Not with the DL-DVI adapter I think but when trying to use standard DVI displays. Was subtle but still very annoying. Actually went back and forth to Apple to investigate it but we never got to the bottom of the issue.

I was able to use the 30" display with the DL-DVI adapter just fine for a long time but using the 23" as a secondary display caused this to happen.

I ended up getting a cheap Radeon R9 270X basically just to be a dedicated DVI port for the secondary display but that's only an option if you have a Mac with spare PCI-E slots of course.

Reactions: Canubis

Canubis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
Vienna, Austria
I was able to use the 30" display with the DL-DVI adapter just fine for a long time but using the 23" as a secondary display caused this to happen.
@tevion5 - very interesting. Thanks for sharing!

This somehow gives me hope that replacing my Apple DL-DVI adapter may solve the issue - as I understand it didn't happen when you connected the 30" using it. How exactly did you connect it to the MP2019, which GPU with which outputs did you use?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.