Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Been so tempted by this Zephyrus, but I‘ve heard it runs super hot. I wouldn’t be gaming, but video and design stuff, yes. I know they have an Eclipse Gray model with a Ryzen 7 and 1660Ti card that is $300 cheaper than your Moonlight White model. Wondering if I should have a Windows laptop here for several reasons, the job being the least of it (They tried to force me into buying a PC, but my Mac works so much better). There’s a lot of uncertainty about AS Macs. Also, having an Apple tech confirm it’s better to have two Macs with usb-c thunderbolt available & Apple configurator 2 software in case of system failures (OS updates, etc.) so you can reboot the T2 chip in the failed Mac is, frankly, messed up.

I've avoided the T2 issues with pre-T2 systems (except for my wife's Mac Mini which has been flawless). I've seen complaints about it here and there - but, if you use Time Machine, can't you just restore to another system? That's my backup plan - if I lose a machine, then I can just buy another and restore from Time Machine. Can't you do the same thing with the newer Macs as well?

I have two Pre-T2 systems so I could also just pull off the files from the backup of the other system. I do agree that it's a good idea to have two systems if your livelyhood depends on it, and, especially if the systems are over five years old.

Reactions: kazmac

Cancelled
Original poster
Apr 16, 2020
I hope you enjoy it. Wouldn’t mind hearing more of your experiences with it.

Been so tempted by this Zephyrus, but I‘ve heard it runs super hot. I wouldn’t be gaming, but video and design stuff, yes. I know they have an Eclipse Gray model with a Ryzen 7 and 1660Ti card that is $300 cheaper than your Moonlight White model. Wondering if I should have a Windows laptop here for several reasons, the job being the least of it (They tried to force me into buying a PC, but my Mac works so much better). There’s a lot of uncertainty about AS Macs. Also, having an Apple tech confirm it’s better to have two Macs with usb-c thunderbolt available & Apple configurator 2 software in case of system failures (OS updates, etc.) so you can reboot the T2 chip in the failed Mac is, frankly, messed up.

Sure thing, I'm happy to share experiences with it, and feel free to ask any questions. I don't think it runs particularly hot though. I've been playing a lot of Forza Horizon 4 and it gets warm, which I would expect, but still comfortable on my lap. The fan placement is pretty cool on the sides. I read that it has 7 (yes, 7) heat pipes; not sure I can find the diagram again, but was pretty impressed with that.

The ASUS Armoury Crate app allows one to choose different performance modes with some presets. I also did the recommended tweaks from a Reddit post to help with battery life optimization. (If you get one, I'll share that link with you). I am very happy with this rig as a laptop, as a gaming laptop, and as a Windows machine. It doesn't have Thunderbolt though if that's a deal-breaker for you. I've been using it with my Dell U2718Q monitor via usb-c to displayport and it's very good.

I tried the G14 model you're considering and it was really great, very fast, and I'd encourage you to give it a try if you've got a local Best Buy. There's also a $1299 model with Ryzen 7/16GB/512 that's a good mid-point if your budget allows.

In my experience so far, this review seems to be pretty accurate, although I wouldn't agree the fans get that loud.

Last edited:

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
I've avoided the T2 issues with pre-T2 systems (except for my wife's Mac Mini which has been flawless). I've seen complaints about it here and there - but, if you use Time Machine, can't you just restore to another system? That's my backup plan - if I lose a machine, then I can just buy another and restore from Time Machine. Can't you do the same thing with the newer Macs as well?

I have two Pre-T2 systems so I could also just pull off the files from the backup of the other system. I do agree that it's a good idea to have two systems if your livelyhood depends on it, and, especially if the systems are over five years old.
I have a Mac mini 2018 (with the T2 Security Chip) and it is easy to make bootable clones of the system drive to an external SSD using Carbon Copy Cloner. The presence of the T2 chip does not impede this.

Yes, you can restore a new machine from a Time Machine backup. That's what it was designed to do, T2 chip notwithstanding.

I can boot an alternate operating system from an external drive on my Mac mini 2018. For the past 11 months, I have evaluated Catalina on an external drive and yet kept my internal boot drive on Mojave. At this point, it is a given that I will end up skipping Catalina and will move to Big Sur directly but not before creating a bootable clone of my Mojave system which I will keep around for as long as I own this machine.

Again, the T2 Security Chip doesn't affect any of these scenarios. I don't really understand why some people are so averse to the T2 Security Chip.

And guess what? Once Apple Silicon is here, security will be even more tightly integrated on Macs. The T2 Security Chip was a stop-gap measure while Apple was using Intel CPUs and occasionally AMD GPUs.

Returning to the original topic, I am quite satisfied with my budget Acer Swift 3. I bought one with the 10th generation Intel CPU and it has Thunderbolt 3. This allows me to plug it into my Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box 650 + Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 combo should I want better 3D graphics performance.

Today I rarely do that since I have a much more capable custom built Windows gaming PC (Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER). However the Acer Swift 3 remains a very reasonable $750 stand-in for the MacBook Air 2019 (at twice the price) that it replaced.

Of course it runs Windows 10 but it turns out that for my particular usage case having an Apple operating system on a notebook computer is pretty unimportant.

Either this site or AppleInsider had a recent notebook customer satisfaction survey at Apple unsurprisingly ranked at the top. The big takeaway was that most of the PC manufacturers were in a big field about one or two percent points from another. While Acer was ranked near the top of the PC field, it was just one point higher than than the pack, a statistically insignificant amount.

These customer satisfaction surveys don't assess hardware durability. In my own experience, Apple hardware lasts longer than their competitors. However there are vast differences in software support.

Apple only provides macOS security updates for the previous two operating systems, right now Mojave and High Sierra. Once Big Sur is released, High Sierra will stop receiving security updates and Catalina will start receiving them.

By contrast, Microsoft is spectacular at providing current Windows compatibility with some very old hardware. Apple eventually stops supporting old hardware. My Mac mini 2010 ended at Mojave (which it did not run well); I went back to Sierra but it was clear that the system no longer could do the modern tasks I needed from it.

With mobile devices, the picture is very different. Apple provides iOS/iPad OS/etc. support for many generations of devices. However updates to Android devices are infrequent and rare, most of them targeted at the flagship premium models. For most Android devices, they probably won't see any new OS-based features EVER.

Last edited:
Reactions: pshufd

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....

Hi,

The way the Apple tech explained it to me, you cannot use Time Machine back ups. You need two Macs running at least Mojave 14.6 with USB-C/Thunderbolt ports and Apple Configurator 2 software to revive the firmware in a T2 chip Mac.

Here’s Apple’s more recent support document on restoring the firmware. Also great article from Mr. Macintosh on the subject.

Regarding buying another machine, that was why the suggestion of having two modern usb-c Macs around
-just in case- was mentioned.

Back up my important docs and projects regularly, but given the system failures experienced since Mavericks (Bricked during OS updates mostly) and wonky build quality/software, I’m a little wary of buying any AS Mac beyond a revamped AS Mac Mini or low end MBP now.

Thanks for the suggestions.🙂

Sure thing, I'm happy to share experiences with it, and feel free to ask any questions. I don't think it runs particularly hot though. I've been playing a lot of Forza Horizon 4 and it gets warm, which I would expect, but still comfortable on my lap. The fan placement is pretty cool on the sides. I read that it has 7 (yes, 7) heat pipes; not sure I can find the diagram again, but was pretty impressed with that.

The ASUS Armoury Crate app allows one to choose different performance modes with some presets. I also did the recommended tweaks from a Reddit post to help with GPU optimization. (If you get one, I'll share that link with you). I am very happy with this rig as a laptop, as a gaming laptop, and as a Windows machine. It doesn't have Thunderbolt though if that's a deal-breaker for you. I've been using it with my Dell U2718Q monitor via usb-c to displayport and it's very good.

I tried the G14 model you're considering and it was really great, very fast, and I'd encourage you to give it a try if you've got a local Best Buy. There's also a $1299 model with Ryzen 7/16GB/512 that's a good mid-point if your budget allows.

In my experience so far, this review seems to be pretty accurate, although I wouldn't agree the fans get that loud.

Thank you Namara. I was looking at the $1299 G14. I will definitely ask questions. 🙂

I hope the G14 continues to be a great machine for you.

@Erehy Dobon appreciate your insight and perspective. Thanks for posting. I haven’t used CCC and what the tech and documentation describe sounds a lot more complicated than bootable drives and restoring the time machine back ups.

I’ve been a Mac user for a very long time and there is still so much I do not know.

Last edited:
Reactions: 0128672

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
I have never
The way the Apple tech explained it to me, you cannot use Time Machine back ups. You need two Macs running at least Mojave 14.6 with USB-C/Thunderbolt ports and Apple Configurator 2 software to revive the firmware in a T2 chip Mac.
I have owned a Mac since the early Nineties and I have never once used an application called Apple Configurator. And yes, I have restored from Time Machine backups including to my T2-equipped Mac mini 2018 (most recently about three months ago).

Moreover it looks like you are talking about restoring the firmware. That's not necessary in a regular Time Machine restore. The firmware is already on the Mac. I have never found any situation where I needed to restore the firmware to a Mac.

Last edited:

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
@Erehy Dobon appreciate your insight and perspective. Thanks for posting. I haven’t used CCC and what the tech and documentation describe sounds a lot more complicated than bootable drives and restoring the time machine back ups.
The basic CCC disk-cloning procedure is pretty easy, it has step-by-step instructions. Why don't you just try it yourself? The software has a no-strings-attached trial period.

It has more advanced and complicated features that I have never tried.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
I have never

I have owned a Mac since the early Nineties and I have never once used an application called Apple Configurator. And yes, I have restored from Time Machine backups.

Moreover it looks like you are talking about restoring the firmware. That's not necessary in a regular Time Machine restore. The firmware is already on the Mac.
Yes, that’s restoring the firmware which is why you need that Configurator software (Sounds new to me) and another Mac.

I always perform clean OS installs and back up media and documentation. Never did full disc image cloning as my set up is very basic.

EDIT: I will try CCC when I buy another Mac certainly. I wonder if CCC will work with Apple Silicon?

Thank you all for steering the conversation back to the topic.

I’ll keep researching that Asus G14 too.

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
Again, I have never encountered a situation that required restoring the firmware. Why would I need to?

When do you restore the firmware?

A full disc clone is helpful because it is an exact snapshot of your drive. Way back in the late Nineties, I would use the command line dd utility on UNIX/Linux boxes. Windows has their command-line robocopy utility.

The dd executable lives on macOS so there might be some incantation that'll clone the boot drive but I've never seen anyone here mention it so it's possible that dd does not preserve all of the necessary filesystem attributes for a functional clone.

A full bootable clone is peace of mind. I know if some bad happens, I still have a drive that functions identically to when I took the snapshot. Cloning that back to the regular boot drive might take thirty minutes, faster than restoring the rest of it from my last Time Machine backup. It sure beats spending hours and hours installing from scratch, reinstalling applications, relicensing software, adding customizations, fonts, screensavers, etc.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Again, I have never encountered a situation that required restoring the firmware. Why would I need to?

When do you restore the firmware?

A full disc clone is helpful because it is an exact snapshot of your drive. Way back in the late Nineties, I would use the command line dd utility on UNIX/Linux boxes. Windows has their command-line robocopy utility.

The dd executable lives on macOS so there might be some incantation that'll clone the boot drive but I've never seen anyone here mention it so it's possible that dd does not preserve all of the necessary filesystem attributes for a functional clone.

A full bootable clone is peace of mind. I know if some bad happens, I still have a drive that functions identically to when I took the snapshot. Cloning that back to the regular boot drive might take thirty minutes, faster than restoring the rest of it from my last Time Machine backup. It sure beats spending hours and hours installing from scratch, reinstalling applications, relicensing software, adding customizations, fonts, screensavers, etc.

Thanks again Erehy. I appreciate your thorough explanations and questions. All good points. Cloning is something I will learn how to do (just not on my creaky 2013 iMac). I’ve dealt with a couple of bricked Macs and did some deep diving on firmware that is beyond my understanding. Additionally, just learned the T2 chip will be eliminated from AS chips (rather integrated into the SoC), so what I’ve posted above is moot.

And with your info on cloning drives and the T2 chip going bye bye, I’ll hang in for Apple Silicon unless I need a new machine before then (which will probably mean a version of the Asus G14 Zephyrus. Really love some of Asus’ design/cooling ideas. Been eyeing one for years).

I’ll continue to watch this sub forum and Namara & other users posts on the G14.

Thanks everyone. May you all find and enjoy the systems you build etc.

Reactions: 0128672

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
CCC and Super-duper are walking in the park / piece of cake. Bootable. You can have different versions MacOS if needed.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
CCC and Super-duper are walking in the park / piece of cake. Bootable. You can have different versions MacOS if needed.
Agreed, I found CCC to be one of the best and handy utilities available for macOS

I got a copy of Acronis True Image when I bought a SSD and I was surprised at how well it worked at imaging my drive. I don't think its as flexible as CCC but its a good option

Edit: Looks like Acronis went the subscription route, so you need to consider that. Personally I question the value of a subscription based backup application

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.