Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

countershading

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
What’s a good alternative for Quicktime Player 7 Pro that will be supported in the next macOS?

I still use QTP to conveniently chop off beginnings and ends of downloaded 720p YouTube tutorial videos ("subscribe to my channel…") and then save them as .mov without recompression.

Current workflow:
Cmd + O to open in QT as the standard player
Space Bar to start playing, Space Bar to stop after intro, Arrow left/right keys to nudge perfect position, O for out, backspace to delete.
Cmd + S to save, done. No complex save/export dialog to go through.

Has anything comparable come out by now?

A minimalist window playing a video. The QTP timeline with i/o handles below the video is not much of a distraction.

An app that can also be used as the standard player for most common video file formats, without high price, distracting panel clutter and loading time only appropriate for professional editing.

I keep getting told by macOS Mojave to find an alternative that will run in the future.

What do you use? Thank you!

Last edited:

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
You know the regular Quicktime Player has had a "Trim" function with start/end scrubbers and a "split" option, since basically when QT Pro was canned, right?

Cmd-T shows the trim controls, Cmd-Y to split at the current playhead.
Screen Shot 2019-06-16 at 17.41.28.png

Will Wainwright

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2019
QT Pro Allows: What simple replacement editor allows replacing audio track and what preferred Audio formant

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.