Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
You are kidding, right? xD

No, I'm not. Android is a lot more clunky, less obvious and 'difficult' for non-techies. My mother hasn't got a clue when it comes to her Galaxy S4, but was fine with her previous iPhone. I am forever showing her how to use it.
Sure she can send a SMS and make a phonecall, but anything which involves using the preposterously unlabelled and hidden 'menu' key dumfounds her.

Last edited:

marvz

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2012
Berlin
No, I'm not. Android is a lot more clunky, less obvious and 'difficult' for non-techies. My mother hasn't got a clue when it comes to her Galaxy S4, but was fine with her previous iPhone. I am forever showing her how to use it.
Sure she can send a SMS and make a phonecall, but anything which involves using the preposterously unlabelled and hidden 'menu' key dumfounds her.

Ohh man, soryy!!! :eek: I read "Android phones are a lot more user-friendly."
So we are of the same opinion :eek: :)
Android is such a mess, my grandfather has the same problems with his Nexus 4 as your mother.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
The half moon icon notifies the user that 'do not disturb' is toggled. If they fail to spot that then they really should be more observant.
Secondly, the fact no calls are coming through should alert them to the fact that their mute switch is depressed, or they're on 'do not disturb'.
I'll say it again, Android phones are a lot more user-unfriendly.

Assuming that your statement about Android is correct (I just don't know, since I've never used one), that suggests that Apple doesn't have to do much because the bar is set low. I prefer to think that Apple can do much better with intelligent UI design. As I mentioned upthread, they should increase the space between the icons and the caret in Control Center to lessen the chance of inadvertent activation, as well as consider pop ups for those who want them.

I notice that some of the examples that others have provided referred to "older" people (moms, grandfathers), who may have more problems using smartphones. Apple can accommodate them without alienating younger, more tech-savvy users.

Bdebs

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Two ideas that they could introduce to fix this:

1. When Do Not Disturb is enabled, an overlay like what you see when you enable/disable rotation lock or change the volume says "Do Not Disturb enabled."
  2. Have it so that DND disables itself after 24 hours.

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
I don't see what the problem is... If they took 10-15 minutes if their time to familiarise themselves with its features it would be at the blame of apple!! Is it microsofts fault if someone hits a setting to not auto download and install important security updates and they miss out? Or if the customer switches outlook into offline mode with a keyboard shortcut?! I get this a lot! Lol!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yeah it's Apple's fault for customers being unaware of the features on their iPhones...
If they can't spot the icon and don't know the features of their phones...
The Android o/s is MUCH more complicated.
Apple went even further with this than with the silent switch as far as actually placing an icon for it in the status bar that is essentially everywhere making it easy to notice at any time (unlike the silent switch which you can only see if you look at the side of the phone, and it seems like even less people would do that that look in the status bar).

----------

A popup when you unlock the device. Not when the device is sleeping.

A popup is needed. This has nothing to do with educating users. Sometimes, by accident, users enable DND and miss calls. This has happened to both of my parents. It's very simple to implement a pop-up warning system.

+1 to the OP. -1 to everyone else.
In that case, shouldn't we had a pop-up for the phone being on silent then since the initial days of iOS? Where's the outrage about that then?

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
My mother's phone had it on for about a day. She didn't know what the hell was going on, other than she kept missing her calls.

There needs to be a popup periodically when DND is on, along with an explanation.

Something like that popup when you setup a new phone, about Spotlight and Rearranging icons.

Yeah, let's disturb people with periodic popups when do not disturb is enabled. :p

Richardgm

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
Apple went even further with this than with the silent switch as far as actually placing an icon for it in the status bar that is essentially everywhere making it easy to notice at any time (unlike the silent switch which you can only see if you look at the side of the phone, and it seems like even less people would do that that look in the status bar).

----------

In that case, shouldn't we had a pop-up for the phone being on silent then since the initial days of iOS? Where's the outrage about that then?

Everyone knows about silent/mute mode. That feature has been on phones for decades.

If their phone lights up and no sound comes from it, they will realize , "oh, must be on silent".

DND on the other hand is a new concept. My phone is on, but I don't receive calls at all? The screen isn't lighting? Airplane mode is off. My phone isn't on silent. What the hell is going on?

To the persons who are unfamiliar with DND, and to the person who accidentally turned it on; the user should be made aware of what is happening.

I originally suggested a popup every 24/48 hours. But I just realized that a simple persistent (but removable) lock screen notification could keep confusion at bay.

spencers

macrumors 68020
Sep 20, 2004
My phone stays on DND all the time.

I'll pick up my phone to check it whenever I feel like it, rather than be disturbed from what I'm doing.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Everyone knows about silent/mute mode. That feature has been on phones for decades.

If their phone lights up and no sound comes from it, they will realize , "oh, must be on silent".

DND on the other hand is a new concept. My phone is on, but I don't receive calls at all? The screen isn't lighting? Airplane mode is off. My phone isn't on silent. What the hell is going on?

To the persons who are unfamiliar with DND, and to the person who accidentally turned it on; the user should be made aware of what is happening.

I originally suggested a popup every 24/48 hours. But I just realized that a simple persistent (but removable) lock screen notification could keep confusion at bay.
The silent feature never really worked the same way it worked on other phones--on pretty much all other phones "for decades" the feature worked by holding some button for a bit or by enabling something in settings, rather than by a physical switch on the phone. And practically on all of those phones when it was enabled a vibrate/silent indicator came up in the status bar or somewhere else on the screen to indicate that it was enabled (like DND actually). So, seemingly most people were used to that kind of thing--seeing if it was enabled in the status bar or somewhere similar on the home screen.

In fact the way iPhone does it would seem to be different and new, yet, again doesn't seem like there's an outrage about it and people got used to it and understand it. So why is DND so different when it's in fact more in line with how vibrate/silent worked in all phones previous to iPhone and many other phones today outside of iPhones?

It's new to iPhones in a sense, but most of what's behind it has been there and is there on most other phones. So it's the "new" part that's mostly catching people off guard, well, just like the silent switch which has become more than acceptable even though it was new before, this will become like this with a bit of time as more people use the phone and the features.

Richardgm

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
I don't see what the problem is... If they took 10-15 minutes if their time to familiarise themselves with its features it would be at the blame of apple!!
You must be joking. I've used iPhones for 7 years and to this day I'm still "familiarizing myself" with the intricacies of its features.

There's no way in hell my 60 year old mother would be able to keep up with the ever evolving features of her iOS device.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
You must be joking. I've used iPhones for 7 years and to this day I'm still "familiarizing myself" with the intricacies of its features.

There's no way in hell my 60 year old mother would be able to keep up with the ever evolving features of her iOS device.
Just like she or someone like her initially didn't even know how to turn on vibrate/silent or perhaps would turn it on and not realize that it was on or how to know that it was on without physically looking at the switch (and even then some people, especially older adults, might have trouble making out the little red indicator there too). It took some practice/learning--a bit more for some than others--but most have figured it out and got the hang of it. It's a similar situation here--perhaps the first time or even few times they might not realize it, but soon they'll know what the crescent moon icon means if it's there, and how to deal with it, if needed.

Richardgm

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
The silent feature never really worked the same way it worked on other phones--on pretty much all other phones "for decades" the feature worked by holding some button for a bit or by enabling something in settings, rather than by a physical switch on the phone...

In fact the way iPhone does it would seem to be different and new, yet, again doesn't seem like there's an outrage about it and people got used to it and understand it. So why is DND so different when it's in fact more in line with how vibrate/silent worked in all phones previous to iPhone and many other phones today outside of iPhones?

We're not (at least I'm not) talking about the method of enabling or disabling the feature. But rather the overall concept which seems to be throwing people off, especially one who has had the feature inadvertently enabled.

The user isn't being alerted/ made aware as to what is going on if DND is accidentally enabled. Yes, there's a moon in the status bar, but as I've said before, many people either don't keep track of what's up there (looks at Android users), and worse if they see it, they have no idea what it means.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
We're not (at least I'm not) talking about the method of enabling or disabling the feature. But rather the overall concept which seems to be throwing people off, especially one who has had the feature inadvertently enabled.

The user isn't being alerted/ made aware as to what is going on if DND is accidentally enabled. Yes, there's a moon in the status bar, but as I've said before, many people either don't keep track of what's up there (looks at Android users), and worse if they see it, they have no idea what it means.
And when they enabled vibrate/silent mode on phones before iPhone or many other phones, and see some icon in the status bar, they also didn't know what it was at some point probably, but they figured it out. People also didn't pay attention to what was on their phones or didn't know about it? Or when their silent switch is enabled and there's no indicator at all in the status bar or anywhere else when they use the phone later, somehow they still figure it out, right? Otherwise, again, why aren't we talking about all of that needing pop-ups and explanations and all that as well?

Again, it's new, that's what it comes down to. People will figure it out once it's not so new to them, as they have many other things.

Richardgm

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
And when they enabled vibrate/silent mode on phones before iPhone or many other phones, and see some icon in the status bar, they also didn't know what it was at some point probably, but they figured it out... Why aren't we talking about all of that needing pop-ups and explanations and all that as well?
I get your point. But two things:

1. I have no idea if there was confusion around the silent switch / toggle / option. Nor do I know how the initial manufacturers dealt with informing cell phone users about the toggle.

However, what I do know is that,

2. People who make good products don't want their customers stumbling around trying to figure out "how does this thing work?" & asking themselves "what the hell is going on?"

What has come to the attention of the OP and myself is that there lacks clarity on DND, and Apple can do a better job of letting the user know what is happening when DND is accidentally activated.

What you are suggesting is that people will eventually figure it out, there's no need for hand holding. But that will only lead to a reduction in "ease of use". Something that Apple prides itself on.

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013

Don't you get badges on your phone/messages app? Wouldn't they notice they have missed calls/messages unread? Wouldn't they notice something is up?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I get your point. But two things:

1. I have no idea if there was confusion around the silent switch / toggle / option. Nor do I know how the initial manufacturers dealt with informing cell phone users about the toggle.

However, what I do know is that,

2. People who make good products don't want their customers stumbling around trying to figure out "how does this thing work?" & asking themselves "what the hell is going on?"

What has come to the attention of the OP and myself is that there lacks clarity on DND, and Apple can do a better job of letting the user know what is happening when DND is accidentally activated.

What you are suggesting is that people will eventually figure it out, there's no need for hand holding. But that will only lead to a reduction in "ease of use". Something that Apple prides itself on.
I guess what I'm saying it all woked out and works out just fine with very similar features like silent mode, and it will be like that with this. It all worked out fine. Would some intro help? Perhaps, but then it can be for pretty much for any setting. A line is drawn somewhere as far as what's worth it and what might not be for different reasons. Again, very much similar things like silent switch or airplane make don't even have intro things like that, the main difference being is that they aren't something new (but at some point they were and people picked up on them as they do with all kinds of things in life).

Richardgm

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
Don't you get badges on your phone/messages app? Wouldn't they notice they have missed calls/messages unread? Wouldn't they notice something is up?

I can speak for my mother who had the issue. Yes! She realized something was up, but couldn't determine what was up.

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
I can speak for my mother who had the issue. Yes! She realized something was up, but couldn't determine what was up.

That's true same thing happened to my mom once lol I had to disable control center from the lock screen and it hasn't happened since.

I guess some people might be able to figure it out but those aren't tech savvy at all are screwed.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
That's true same thing happened to my mom once lol I had to disable control center from the lock screen and it hasn't happened since.

I guess some people might be able to figure it out but those aren't tech savvy at all are screwed.

That's the case with most modern tech.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Seems like in your case and the case of some others in this thread there have been people to explain and/or help out those who ran into something. That's one of the ways people learn or at least get things adjusted for them so they would work for them. So, in a sense, "the system works".

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
DND does not hault system notifications . It stops app push notifications and calls. And I hardly think one popup in a rare circumstance is a disturbance.

It doesn't stop them. It stops the phone from waking up from push notification. The screen never turns on, never beeps. Apps still function as normal.

tmanto02

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2011
Australia
Yeah it's Apple's fault for customers being unaware of the features on their iPhones...

Yes it is their fault - The iPhone was created so that it does not need an instruction manual, and in my job i also see dozens of people a day who accidentally have it enabled. All it needs is a pop up explaining what will happen when the user enables it. Simple

My 57yo mum recently got her first iphone and has made this very mistake. She thought there was something wrong with her phone.

It is a simple fix for Apple and I'm sure it will be in iOS 8.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.