Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yes it is their fault - The iPhone was created so that it does not need an instruction manual, and in my job i also see dozens of people a day who accidentally have it enabled. All it needs is a pop up explaining what will happen when the user enables it. Simple

My 57yo mum recently got her first iphone and has made this very mistake. She thought there was something wrong with her phone.

It is a simple fix for Apple and I'm sure it will be in iOS 8.
So why not a pop up for the silent switch or enabling airplane mode then?

richwoodrocket

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Any accidental activation of do not disturb is all the fault of the user. It's in control center because it's useful, and I'm pretty sure that if you use control center to activate it, it won't be that hard to turn it off.

tmanto02

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2011
Australia

Because you still are alerted in silent mode and for airplane mode - it baffles me that it is in control centre, not to mention the lockscreen control centre

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Because you still are alerted in silent mode and for airplane mode - it baffles me that it is in control centre, not to mention the lockscreen control centre
Alerted how? When the silent mode is switched on you see an overlay for a few seconds and that is it, there isn't even an indicator in the status bar or anywhere on the screen to tell you it's on later if you didn't notice it getting turned on. As for airplane mode when you turn it on there is no indicator at all except for the icon in the status bar, similar to DND. So, they are very much like DND and yet nothing really special about their treatment is being asked for all this time now. People figure out what they are, just as is the case with DND, the only difference is that DND is a somewhat newer feature, but that's petty much it.

tmanto02

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2011
Australia
Alerted how? When the silent mode is switched on you see an overlay for a few seconds and that is it, there isn't even an indicator in the status bar or anywhere on the screen to tell you it's on later if you didn't notice it getting turned on. As for airplane mode when you turn it on there is no indicator at all except for the icon in the status bar, similar to DND. So, they are very much like DND and yet nothing really special about their treatment is being asked for all this time now. People figure out what they are, just as is the case with DND, the only difference is that DND is a somewhat newer feature, but that's petty much it.

I meant that you are still alerted when calls and messages are received etc... They don't just appear not to be coming through at all.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I meant that you are still alerted when calls and messages are received etc... They don't just appear not to be coming through at all.
In airplane mode they don't come through at all. Nothing does. And the one minor difference between silent (without vibrate) and DND is that the scren doesn't come on with DND. All notifications still come through with DND.

MonstaMash

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 24, 2011
For Airplane mode, if you try to use data or make a call, users are alerted immediately and a button prompts to disabled it.

There is no prompt for DND, and often users have it on mistakenly, meaning they are missing calls and texts unknowingly, resulting in a poor user experience.

As shown in this thread, we have seen that this setting is enabled on many iPhones by mistake, which means Apple should look into it. Apple should poll their retail stores and ask how many Genius' come across this same problem - I bet the numbers are high.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
The OP has a point. I've occasionally turned BT off by mistake when closing Control Center, since there's very little space between the row of icons and the inverted caret at the top. Apple could easily add several rows of pixels to separate them so it would be harder to hit one on the buttons inadvertently. Yes, I'm aware that the BT symbol disappears when BT is off, but it's not something I check when I get into my car, which is when I need it the most.

Pop up reminders that DND or another feature is on or off might be overkill for most, but could be helpful as a user selectable option.

Tap on the area of the screen that the CC isn't covering.

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
The OP has a point. I've occasionally turned BT off by mistake when closing Control Center, since there's very little space between the row of icons and the inverted caret at the top.
Just press the home button to close it down if need be or as mentioned press elsewhere or start a swipe down from elsewhere...you dont need to be that accurate to close Control Center and i've never managed to switch anything on or off by accident.

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Sorry you cant cure stupid. So does the same hold true for people who have their rotation lock on and complain that their phone wont go into landscape? What about airplane mode in control center???? Guess Apple should just have a popup overlay for everything now. CATUTION: "YOU ARE NOW ABOUT TO ENTER THE MUSIC APP AND SOUND WILL EMIT FROM YOUR DEVICE". People complained there wasn't an area for quick toggles and Apple gave it to us. Now you are complaining that its TOO EASY to toggle functions?????? Can't win with Joe consumer.

I used to work at an Apple store and had many many people complaining that their phone wasn't ringing and its because their vibrate switch was on.

YOU CANT CURE STUPID!

Cancelled
Apr 14, 2008
I'm not talking about users on this forum, like me and you, I'm talking about non-technical users, who this affects.

Look at the next couple of iPhones you see in the wild (from non-technical users), and count how many have DND enabled without their knowledge.

I've never really thought about it before, but I'd agree with you. A communication icon with a strike through would be better. Also a periodic pop up notifying users that it's on (with a prompt to turn it off) and a pop up explaining what it does when you switch it on would be good. Apple make devices for folk that are non technically minded. They should cater for them in every respect, including this one.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
For Airplane mode, if you try to use data or make a call, users are alerted immediately and a button prompts to disabled it.

There is no prompt for DND, and often users have it on mistakenly, meaning they are missing calls and texts unknowingly, resulting in a poor user experience.

As shown in this thread, we have seen that this setting is enabled on many iPhones by mistake, which means Apple should look into it. Apple should poll their retail stores and ask how many Genius' come across this same problem - I bet the numbers are high.
If you are someone that doesn't use their phone much and mostly get calls or texts then you won't really see any airplane mode warnings if you just keep on checking to see if any calls or texts came in. At least in DND you certainly get notifications. Also, in silent mode you don't get any warnings or anything else and also would similarly not hear or feel any calls or texts or anything else. But, again, no one is really calling for Apple to do anything else about silent mode or airplane mode, but somehow for DND.

People try to point out some minute differences to justify it, but the differences are just not big enough to make it that much different. It's just new, that's basically it. Just as at one point silent mode or airplane mode (or even rotation lock as someone mentioned) was for people and they learned about them and got used to them.

----------

I've never really thought about it before, but I'd agree with you. A communication icon with a strike through would be better. Also a periodic pop up notifying users that it's on (with a prompt to turn it off) and a pop up explaining what it does when you switch it on would be good. Apple make devices for folk that are non technically minded. They should cater for them in every respect, including this one.
Catering in very respect would mean not even giving a phone to people as they will still get messed up along the line. Apple should perhaps provide a butler/secretary to come with the phone to actually use it on your behalf so you wouldn't have to put up with its complexities.

How do people figure out how to drive cars without huge pop ups coming up to tell them they are about to go in reverse when they put their car I reverse?

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Dunno why some people are so aggressive towards some simple suggestions for making it easier to realise DND is on. Something like a slightly better status bar icon hardly affects you tech savy lot who already know what DND is, does it?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Dunno why some people are so aggressive towards some simple suggestions for making it easier to realise DND is on. Something like a slightly better status bar icon hardly affects you tech savy lot who already know what DND is, does it?
That's not what is bing mostly asked for though. If that's all, then no big deal. Although the same people will have the same issue not noticing the icon or still not knowing what it really means. And still why no status bar icon at all for silent mode?

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Well you can sweat it over making it all consistent if you like. Meanwhile there are some confused users to help :)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Well you can sweat it over making it all consistent if you like. Meanwhile there are some confused users to help :)
Seems like they are getting help by asking about it and people explaining it to them (be it their kids or someone else), as mentioned in various anecdotal stories. As is the case with various other features of the iPhone or any other phone many other appliances or things in life in general.

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan

Apple can only make a phone so idiot proof. DND is not an issue for most people and that's all that matters. You can only make things so easy to a point where common sense has to kick in with a person of average intelligence. Like most things in this world you learn. It's why people go to schools and universities.

THIS IS A NON ISSUE.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Apple can only make a phone so idiot proof. DND is not an issue for most people and that's all that matters. You can only make things so easy to a point where common sense has to kick in with a person of average intelligence. Like most things in this world you learn. It's why people go to schools and universities.

THIS IS A NON ISSUE.

So your against a better icon indicating DND?

I could see a crescent moon being called into question by some. I use DnD during the daytime as much as I do at night. Should it have a icon of a guy sitting at a work meeting, a cross for people at church or funeral, a book for people at school/library, etc etc....

I'm playing devils advocate but a speaker with a X through it I think would get the point across better. Or something I dunno.

KUPARA

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2013
You must be joking. I've used iPhones for 7 years and to this day I'm still "familiarizing myself" with the intricacies of its features.

There's no way in hell my 60 year old mother would be able to keep up with the ever evolving features of her iOS device.

7 years? SEVEN years? It took you (and still taking) seven years to learn all about the iOS ecosystem? You must have some issues dude, seven years are seven years, no matter if its the original iPhone or iPhone 9.

And what are the EVER EVOLVING features of on iOS device? All the "new" and updated features are brought ONCE in a year, with the release of a new iPhone. It's not like an update of iOS bring a gazillion new stuff.
Either you are troll or you have some serious learning issues.

Don't use Android, ever! You might grow old and die, still learning that OS

And please, DON'T EVER jailbreak your iPhone. That would take an eternity for you to learn

Last edited:

Richardgm

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
Control Center toggle for Do Not Disturb is poorly designed

7 years? SEVEN years? It took you (and still taking) seven years to learn all about the iOS ecosystem? You must have some mind issues dude, seven years are seven years, no matter if its the original iPhone or iPhone 9

Can you tell me off the top of your head all the features of Siri?

What about all the icons possible in the status bar?

No? I thought so.

How about the fact that photostream doesn't work when you're below 20% battery. Whether charging or not? Did you know that?

What about field test mode? Familiar with that? What's the code to enter?

My point is this, iOS evolves. Features get added, removed and changed. No one is expected to know all the intricacies of the the OS.

KUPARA

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2013
Can you tell me off the top of your head all the features of Siri?

What about all the icons possible in the status bar?

No? I thought so.

You are answering your own questions?
Wow, how low can you go?

P.S I dont need to enter any codes to see the signal strength, my jailbreak has tweaks for that

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
So your against a better icon indicating DND?

I could see a crescent moon being called into question by some. I use DnD during the daytime as much as I do at night. Should it have a icon of a guy sitting at a work meeting, a cross for people at church or funeral, a book for people at school/library, etc etc....

I'm playing devils advocate but a speaker with a X through it I think would get the point across better. Or something I dunno.

No it wouldn't because a speaker with an X will be horribly confused as a mute function and DND is more than that.

The current mute icon overlay is a bell with a line through it so that would't work.

Apple does what works for 90% of the people 90% of the time.

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
I have never met a persons who has had this issue and I have met a lot of iPhone users seeing as I work for best buy mobile. So I see this as a non issue and people making more out of nothing. What I do come across is people not knowing what cc is and never using it.

Type4O

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2011
Toronto, Canada
This is ridiculous. You want a popup to remind users that DND is enabled?? How about educate users on how to use their phones.

I couldn't agree more. I would say 90% of tech questions I get are split into two groups: those that don't bother reading what's on the screen, and, my personal absolute pet peeve: those that can not be bothered to learn how to use their devices/software. Don't blame the manufacturer if you don't learn how to use it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.