Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

D A

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2008
I can't get CoolBook to work at all in Mountain Lion, everything I've tried prevents my MBP from even booting.

So far I've tried the workaround suggested in this thread but the computer won't boot with it. Replacing the AppleACPIPlatform.kext with the one from Snow Leopard results in the same problem.

Anyone with Mountain Lion tried anything that has gotten Coolbook to work?

Edit:
I think I got it to work, see my post below.

Last edited:

D A

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2008
I believe I've gotten it work now, however the idle temp doesn't seem to go down much at all (though the voltages appear to be changed), but under load it works normally.

I updated the SleepEnabler.kext using the published source (http://code.google.com/p/xnu-sleep-enabler/) to also run on ML, but a couple of header files weren't included in the source so I grabbed them from Apple's own website: http://opensource.apple.com/source/xnu/xnu-1699.26.8/osfmk/i386/ cpu_topology.h and pmCPU.h.

With a working SleepEnabler.kext I moved AppleIntelCPUPowerMangement.kext AppleIntelCPUPowerMangementClient.kext out of /System/Library/Extensions and added SleepEnabler.kext

With the updated kexts I used Coolbook 2.16 as it is was the only version that allowed me to set voltages below 1V.

Attachments

• SleepEnabler.kext.zip
    16.9 KB · Views: 3,342

canhaz

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2012
I believe I've gotten it work now, however the idle temp doesn't seem to go down much at all (though the voltages appear to be changed), but under load it works normally.

I updated the SleepEnabler.kext using the published source (http://code.google.com/p/xnu-sleep-enabler/) to also run on ML, but a couple of header files weren't included in the source so I grabbed them from Apple's own website: http://opensource.apple.com/source/xnu/xnu-1699.26.8/osfmk/i386/ cpu_topology.h and pmCPU.h.

With a working SleepEnabler.kext I moved AppleIntelCPUPowerMangement.kext AppleIntelCPUPowerMangementClient.kext out of /System/Library/Extensions and added SleepEnabler.kext

With the updated kexts I used Coolbook 2.16 as it is was the only version that allowed me to set voltages below 1V.

Very interesting, unfortunately I fear you did not do this on an I5/I7 MBP? (Mid 2010+)

D A

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2008
Very interesting, unfortunately I fear you did not do this on an I5/I7 MBP? (Mid 2010+)

Coolbook does not work on Core i5/i7 CPUs. You need the older Core 2 Duo CPU to undervolt.

dadoman

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2010

Hi, could you please explain me what do you do with and/or where do you put the two files from Apple website (I mean cpu_topology and pmCPU)?

pineapple216

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2010
Hi, could you please explain me what do you do with and/or where do you put the two files from Apple website (I mean cpu_topology and pmCPU)?

I second that. Coolbook is kind of an important app for me.
I used it in Snow Leopard and it really kept my MacBook late 2008 cooler.

Could you post a step by step guide with what to do?

pineapple216

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2010
I've just mailed Magnus Lundholm, the developer of CoolBook with the question if he's going to release an upgrade that will support mountain lion, and/or if he will maybe make the project opensource so that the community can work on it

dadoman

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2010
I wouldn't expect a positive reply, actually i wouldn't even expect a reply, lol.

Since lion came out he isn't giving any feedback to the users, if you check macupdate you can see loads of angry users that can't get in touch with the dev and if I remember correctly, I emailed him myself long time ago, with no luck.

The only sign of life from the dev after lion is that little note on top of his website saying that coolbook doesn't work on lion...

The opensource thing is a good idea, let's hope he agrees...

D A

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2008
It seems the developer of the SleepEnabler.kext has updated it to support Mountain Lion, download is available here: http://code.google.com/p/xnu-sleep-enabler/downloads/list

NOTE: Please write down the name of the volume that Mountain Lion is installed on incase the computer won't boot with the SleepEnabler in place.

1. Add the kext to /System/Library/Extensions
2. Move AppleIntelCPUPowerMangement.kext and AppleIntelCPUPowerMangementClient.kext out of the same folder
3. In Termnial write this:
Code:
cd /System/Library/Extensions
sudo chown -R root:wheel SleepEnabler.kext
sudo chmod -R 755 SleepEnabler.kext
4. Reboot.

If it doesn't boot:
1. Hold down the option key when booting,
2. Choose Recovery Volume
3. Open Terminal in one of the menus.
4. Write this:
Code:
cd /Volumes/(volume name here)/System/Library/Extensions
rm -rf SleepEnabler.kext
5. Reboot
6. Re-add AppleIntelCPUPowerMangement.kext and AppleIntelCPUPowerMangementClient.kext to the Extensions folder.

Numberless

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2012
Thanks so much for the information on getting this working; you've even forced me to come out of lurking :D.

This is also an important app for me because it can alleviate the notorious throttling problems the original MacBook Airs have. In my case, using versions of CoolBook more recent than 2.16 limit the undervolting to 0.925 volts.

Edit: Found a copy of 2.16 to test; no difference from 2.22 on my Rev. B MBA.

Last edited:

jbzcar

macrumors regular
May 11, 2012
Works great for me, but I used NullCPUPowerManagement.kext instead of puling the other two out and with SleepEnabler.kext it works perfectly.

4wdwrx

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2012
Hi, I install coolbook using the method described above. It worked I think, but didn't really do much to the temp. I think the new Apple power management is quite efficient.

Anyways, how do I undo everything and go back to original. I've uninstalled coolbook 2.2, deleted the SleepEnabler.kext file and put the two originals back in, but now my macbook runs much hotter, using almost 18watts according to coconut battery and also when I close the lid it restarts.

thisisvick

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2010
Perfect?

I tried that Nullpowercpu technique..and added Sleepenabler kext - permissions repaired. i was effectively able to Underclock - as per what istat was telling me... altho Coconutbattery reported increased in Watts used during high processor demanding tasks (1080p youtube vid). The issue I am having is that I am not able to get to the lower voltages that occur during idle times. I understand this was an issue with coolbook running on Lion. Effectively I am able to enjoy being underclocked when running demanding tasks but for more idle tasks -- i believe im killing more battery - *Mountain Lion's native cpu-management is more efficient here*

Is there a solution in regards to this?
Im using Coolbook 2.22.
Thanks in advance

Edit: running set voltage of 0.775V in coolbook - but in reality lowest it will go is 0.9250V
-->To confirm that the voltages actually are working open Terminal and type:
sysctl -a | grep coolbook2

Look for the lines
kern.coolbook2_vid
kern.coolbook2_ctl

Last edited:

ssn637

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2009
Switzerland
I'm having the same problem as thisisvick. Identical to the issues we faced in Lion: idle voltage does not drop below 0.8750 in my case, so Mountain Lion's power management is better left alone. If CoolBook functioned in Mountain Lion as well as it did in Snow Leopard I'm sure Magnus would have been the first to announce his success (or good luck).

4wdwrx

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2012
The lowest I can set anything is 0.8750 V, I remember I could set it lower in Snow Leopard. The settings are there but just won't set. Is their a patch of something to allow to set lower?

Does anyone know how to revert back to original Mountain Lion power management. I put all the files back in and deleted the sleepenabler, uninstalled coolbook. But somehow it runs super hot, almost 18 watts in coconut battery and restarts when trying to put it to sleep.

4wdwrx

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2012
Got it fixed. I had to repair the permissions, I used this program called kext utility.

The ML power management is efficient already. Until coolbook can unvolt below 0.8750V like I could in SL, just stick with factory.

Mountain Lion has so much more features than Snow leopard, I doubt I could get the wooping 11hrs per charge I used to get in SL using coolbook. The battery life was incredible. I could have it in sleep for weeks. Now, even sleep drains the battery so fast.

SL only used ~6.5 watts shown in coconut, with lion I could still get ~8.5 watts, now with ML its ~11.5 watts.

If you are using ntfs-3g, it uses a lot of resources in ML, not sure why.

Mr. Zarniwoop

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
I just wanted to post a thank-you for this info. My Intel Core2Duo-based MacBook Air (13-inch, Late 2010) is now happily running CoolBook again. This is with OS X 10.8.3 Mountain Lion after a long hiatus ever since OS X 10.7 Lion first came out.

Under version 2.22 of CoolBook everything works as it did under OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, with one exception: it shows voltages under 0.9250 V as options for my MacBookAir3,2. If I select a voltage under that, it actually never undervolts below 0.9250 V. Under Snow Leopard with stock Apple Intel CPU Power Mangement kexts, it never showed those lower voltages as being available on my MBA so I imagine that's a side-effect of SleepEnabler.kext.

D A

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2008
Not working yet on Mavericks, SleepEnabler.kext causes a kernel panic. Will probably have to wait for Apple to release new header files.

NoiseGUI

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2013
Coolbook 2.22 Works on Mavericks

Not working yet on Mavericks, SleepEnabler.kext causes a kernel panic. Will probably have to wait for Apple to release new header files.

Works on Mavericks just fine. Just have to fully uninstall and reinstall everything.

For those having issues or needing details, they are below. This processes addresses all the hiccups I have encountered in my 4 years of using Coolbook. Annoying, but hey, great benefit with no useful alternatives, and yes Coolbook is well worth the money.

0. If you have never had Coolbook installed, just skip to step 6. Upgraders should first...
1. BEFORE updating OSx, delete SleepEnabler.kext from System/Library/Extensions
2. Empty Trash
3. Reinstall AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext and AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient.kext (hopefully you saved them Like I have learned to)(I use Kext Helper B7 to install, but it always locks itself up. Annoying, but it works otherwise)
4. Open Coolbook and do two things
- Take screen shots of your current settings
- Open preferences, and Uninstall
5. Reboot

6. Upgrade your OSx. Without steps 1-5, my upgrades typically failed, or I enjoyed kernel panics. Your mileage may vary. If you accidentally upgraded first, and your MB works, then simply skip step 3 above, and you will hopefully avoid kernel panics. Once OSx is updated to Lion (10.7.x), Mountain Lion(10.8.x), or Mavericks (10.9.x)...

7. Copy the files you will need now and for future OSx upgrades into a folder you can find again:
- Coolbook.dmg (v2.22 is current) from http://www.coolbook.se
- Sleepenabler.kext from code.google.com/p/xnu-sleep-enabler/ (10.7-8 is current, & works for 10.9)
- Kext Helper B7, or other kext install utility
- In System/Library/Extensions, copy the following two files: (Note that Alt-Go menu takes you to root Library instead of System/Library, where 'Extensions' resides)
+ AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext
+ AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient.kext
- The screen shots you got earlier of your cookbook settings
- A web link to this page in case you need another walkthrough. ;-)

8.Delete the two AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement kexts from that Extensions folder
9. Install the SleepEnabler Kext (again, I use Kext Helper B7)
10. Reboot

11. Open Coolbook.dmg, and install
12. Open Coolbook. (Note it is not signed for Mavericks and You will Need to Control-click the application, then select Open on the first time)
13. It should ask if you want to install, you will say yes, and have to reboot (sigh)

14. Open Coolbook, Add your password and registration settings, Enter your voltage settings. Save and opt for testing. Save and opt to not test.
15. Reboot, and select open programs on reboot

For some reason, The program has to be open in order for the settings to work. It works, and I always just press Alt-H to hide the application. I go into preferences and select menu display, then right click the Coolbook information menu in the top bar and select all but hide menu. This way, I know whether it is setting the volts correctly, and the current status of everything.

Mine is a mid-2009 MBP, and I definitey rely on Coolbook. Keeps me at least 20C cooler, and extends my battery by 25% ish.... Awesome. :)

Last edited:

path4

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2013
Don't get your hope up just yet. It didn't work for my macbookpro 5.5. Installation was fine and I could change settings. It just didn't do anything. Freq and voltage stayed at the stock highest.

However, I was truly impressed by mavericks. It runs faster and feels cooler than snow leopard even without coolbook. And freed up 5GB disk space.

Works on Mavericks just fine. Just have to fully uninstall and reinstall everything.

Mine is a mid-2009 MBP, and I definitey rely on Coolbook. Keeps me at least 20C cooler, and extends my battery by 25% ish.... Awesome. :)

jupiter13

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2014
Coolbook 2.22 and Mavericks (10.9.3) is running!

If have installed the two kext files after updating to 10.9.3 and is is running but also with the same side effects (cannot under volt below 0.9250V).

At the moment my MBP is running very cool even on high load :)
But I use also an additional app for controlling the fan:
Macs Fan Control

Many thanks to Mr. Zarniwoop for summarizing all necessary steps!

My setup:
MBP Mid 2010, 13'' (MacBookPro7,1, Core2Duo P8600)
OS X 10.9.3 Mavericks

I just wanted to post a thank-you for this info. My Intel Core2Duo-based MacBook Air (13-inch, Late 2010) is now happily running CoolBook again. This is with OS X 10.8.3 Mountain Lion after a long hiatus ever since OS X 10.7 Lion first came out.

Under version 2.22 of CoolBook everything works as it did under OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, with one exception: it shows voltages under 0.9250 V as options for my MacBookAir3,2. If I select a voltage under that, it actually never undervolts below 0.9250 V. Under Snow Leopard with stock Apple Intel CPU Power Mangement kexts, it never showed those lower voltages as being available on my MBA so I imagine that's a side-effect of SleepEnabler.kext.

Stephsa

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2014

Please, can anyone help me. I have accepted an update of OS X and now the Mac don't boot. There are one error in the install and I just have access to terminal on repair mode. Does it possible to erase the sleepenabler kext? From this terminal ? And possible to reinstall the two other kext ?

asoksevil

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
London, UK

I just followed all the steps here and as soon as I replaced the NullCPU .kext I got a kernel panic and wasn't able to move beyond that, having to reinstall the whole system again.

Stephsa

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2014
There are a solution to erase the bad kext . I find it on web but now I can't remember where. Sorry but it's possible. Just search on Google

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.