Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dr. Stealth

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2004
SoCal-Surf City USA
It’s not clear from just the photo. It may be active but given the power of the stock fan, may be a passive opening calibrated to enhance the existing intake.

I don’t even need one and am curious what they chose!

It has a USB powered fan "Power supplied through USB for straight forward install."

Interesting they show no picture of it though....

GoodGuy12345

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2018
Canada
Because it's not really a Mini anymore. It's a "midi". It's apple's equivalent of a mid-tower, or at least, as close as we're going to get one from apple.

Agreed, a 85W machine with laptop chips would fit into Apple TV form factor.
A 150W desktop chip wouldn't.

So they did upgrade. the cooling, opening is larger, fan is stronger and larger.

Really, I like it. I like it more than any previous mini :) And it like it the most of all apple desktops sans 2006-2012 towers...
I can now confirm this since I recently bought a 2018 Mac mini that it is as bad as the 2014 and before since the CPU always spikes up to 100 degrees. Apple only made the exhaust slightly bigger, and made the fan slightly wider. Still can't cool. :(

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
I can now confirm this since I recently bought a 2018 Mac mini that it is as bad as the 2014 and before since the CPU always spikes up to 100 degrees. Apple only made the exhaust slightly bigger, and made the fan slightly wider. Still can't cool. :(
It can stay at 3.6GHz under full-core load?

GoodGuy12345

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2018
Canada
It can stay at 3.6GHz under full-core load?
Nope, the CPU and GPU throttles and the aluminum body... the aluminum body, well that is searing HOT. Can't even touch my computer. Expected this, since some reviewers on youtube addressed the throttling and thermal issues. Just hoping that cooling base fixes the throttling, so my computer is usable.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
Nope, the CPU and GPU throttles and the aluminum body... the aluminum body, well that is searing HOT. Can't even touch my computer. Expected this, since some reviewers on youtube addressed the throttling and thermal issues. Just hoping that cooling base fixes the throttling, so my computer is usable.
Then your computer is broken and you should return it, as simple as that.

It runs 3,4GHz stable, this is a 5min run and it doesn't drop below base speed ever, and regards to airflow the position I have it at is not ideal.

Also all 4 tb3 ports are full

edit: also mine isn't searing hot either. Prior to running this test i was programming MainStage and had logic open for half a day.

return yours, it seems broken.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-01-24 at 01.27.36.png
    Screenshot 2019-01-24 at 01.27.36.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 360

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2018
Murica
I just use a USB fan. Because I have my DAC that gets hot too next to my MacMini. Winter time it's fine because I like to keep my room cool. But come summer that may be an issue.

GoodGuy12345

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2018
Canada
Then your computer is broken and you should return it, as simple as that.

It runs 3,4GHz stable, this is a 5min run and it doesn't drop below base speed ever, and regards to airflow the position I have it at is not ideal.

Also all 4 tb3 ports are full

edit: also mine isn't searing hot either. Prior to running this test i was programming MainStage and had logic open for half a day.

return yours, it seems broken.
Yours is the base model right? I have an i5 that base 3.0Ghz and boosts upto 4.1Ghz, never seen it boost. It tries at around 3.1-3.4 until a few seconds of load and drops to 3.0 and flickers sometimes to 2.95. I can definitely confirm the heat causing the downclock. The ambient sensor detects 45 degrees in the computer and the chassis is about 35 when touching it.

Edit: Also just noticed, your CPU temps are outrageously high! Isn't 96 pretty high up there, almost at T-Junction. Must be degrading the CPU's life right now, even PC users know heat like that damages.

Last edited:

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
Yours is the base model right? I have an i5 that base 3.0Ghz and boosts upto 4.1Ghz, never seen it boost. It tries at around 3.1-3.4 until a few seconds of load and drops to 3.0 and flickers sometimes to 2.95. I can definitely confirm the heat causing the downclock. The ambient sensor detects 45 degrees in the computer and the chassis is about 35 when touching it.

Edit: Also just noticed, your CPU temps are outrageously high! Isn't 96 pretty high up there, almost at T-Junction. Must be degrading the CPU's life right now, even PC users know heat like that damages.

All macs I had ran their CPUs hot. So far none have had CPU failing issues. Discrete GPUs failed on more than one model of MacBook Pro tho.

I really don't care about CPU running at 100 degrees, that has never been an issue in 10 years i use mac, and they all ran that high.

Nah, mine is the i7.
I find it hard to believe that the i7 would not throttle and the i5 would tho, sounds odd.

I wouldn't call 35 searing hot :)

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure

From my understanding this is exactly the behaviour expected of the newest generation Intel chips. They have an insane boost turbo that can only be reached by a huge increase in power/heat.

At idle they draw just a few watts, at full core base (e.g. 3Ghz for i5 or 3.2Ghz for i7) they draw at or below 65W (the rated TDP of the processor). Under maximum all-core boost, they draw over 100W.

From my testing (and that of others) the 2018 mini cooling system seems good for about 75W of heat dissipation. This enables the all-core i7 to boost stably to about 3.6-4.2 Ghz depending on type of multi-core workload. Singe core boost can hit the max 4.6 (so long as no other process is running). This is the max turbo intel spec for single core. I've never seen a workload that causes the i7 to drop BELOW the 3.2Ghz base.

If yours i5 isn't maintaining 3Ghz, I'd like to know what task you are running and to see some screen grabs from Intel Power Gadget. It may (or may not) mean there is a problem with your CPU.

I think the only way to get higher stable turbo clocks would be a huge watercooled solution good for >100 Watt heat dissipation.

I don't think any regular fan is capable to remove the heat away from these processors fast enough. It hits 100C within seconds even with the fan already set on full speed. This was NOT true of the prior laptop chip generations (2011-2012 era). But the performance is also massively improved now too.

Reactions: Ploki

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
For completeness, here are the power/CPU/temp graphs for running Cinebench under different parameters on an i7 mini (using "instruments" App to change core count and ±Hyperthreading). Comparing from left to right:
6C/12T, 6C/6T, 4C/8T, 4C/4T.
In all cases the CPU tops out at ~100C, at steady 65-75W power.
Notably, things are definitely a little less stable once 6 cores are active (more fluctuations), but CPU speed is still always above base spec (3.2Ghz), but not capable of the CPUs maximum design spec (6 cores at 4.3Ghz) for more than a few seconds at the beginning of each run (100 Watt spikes).
upload_2019-1-24_13-35-13.png

Cruciarius

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2013
Massachusetts
I currently have a late iMac 5K 2014 model. i7 and maxed RAM. It has an over heating issue. Not exactly sure the cause, but it's not under warranty and the last time it had an issue, the Apple tech told me without AppleCare, I'd have spent over $3,000 to fix it. Thankfully for that, it was under AppleCare and free. Now without it, I'm afraid to bring it in for yet more repairs. Anyway, it easily does 200°+ F with just Twitterrific, Discord, iTunes (not playing anything) and Safari open. Safari will typically have 1-2 live streams of Twitch open. Sometimes the iMac will go to 225° F+ at which point it forces sleep to cool down. After a few days, it very easily reaches this point. However, if I reboot, I can last a few days with the above mentioned, without too much worry. Oh and all this while not even running it in full 5K resolution.

Anyway... I mentioned all that because people talked about the Mac Mini reaching close to 100° C, which is 212° F. Very close to that point my iMac has of forced sleep. I know everyone says it's fine, but that still worries me, given the situation with my current Mac.

If heat is an issue with the Mac Mini, why not remove the bottom panel and secure the Mac Mini over a fan? Granted with this, you'll likely get dust inside quicker.

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
And doing a 12 thread "yes" test even results in a slightly better result than ploki: stable at 3.7Ghz, 65W.

upload_2019-1-24_13-47-52.png

[doublepost=1548337953][/doublepost]
I currently have a late iMac 5K 2014 model. i7 and maxed RAM. It has an over heating issue. Not exactly sure the cause, but it's not under warranty and the last time it had an issue, the Apple tech told me without AppleCare, I'd have spent over $3,000 to fix it. Thankfully for that, it was under AppleCare and free. Now without it, I'm afraid to bring it in for yet more repairs. Anyway, it easily does 200°+ F with just Twitterrific, Discord, iTunes (not playing anything) and Safari open. Safari will typically have 1-2 live streams of Twitch open. Sometimes the iMac will go to 225° F+ at which point it forces sleep to cool down. After a few days, it very easily reaches this point. However, if I reboot, I can last a few days with the above mentioned, without too much worry. Oh and all this while not even running it in full 5K resolution.

Anyway... I mentioned all that because people talked about the Mac Mini reaching close to 100° C, which is 212° F. Very close to that point my iMac has of forced sleep. I know everyone says it's fine, but that still worries me, given the situation with my current Mac.

If heat is an issue with the Mac Mini, why not remove the bottom panel and secure the Mac Mini over a fan? Granted with this, you'll likely get dust inside quicker.
I think your fan may be clogged or broken and not working well. Have you installed any software that can monitor its speed?
Also: you say you are not running at "full 5K" what resolution are you using? If you choose a lower scaled resolution, this is actually *more* GPU intensive than 5K retina.
Regarding extra fans for mac mini: I don't think it will make a difference. If they do work to remove more heat, then the CPU will actually simply speed up a bit more taking advantage of the thermal headroom! (so long as it isn't power limited).

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
0.3GHz better; that's good. I was observing similar speeds when running the 1080p via HDMI.
I do notice that there's less GPU usage (none) on yours than it was on mine.

Which screen are you running?

Cruciarius

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2013
Massachusetts
I think your fan may be clogged or broken and not working well. Have you installed any software that can monitor its speed?
Also: you say you are not running at "full 5K" what resolution are you using? If you choose a lower scaled resolution, this is actually *more* GPU intensive than 5K retina.
Regarding extra fans for mac mini: I don't think it will make a difference. If they do work to remove more heat, then the CPU will actually simply speed up a bit more taking advantage of the thermal headroom! (so long as it isn't power limited).

I have iStat Menus installed. I can see and hear the fan max out at 100%, without any weird noises, so I know the fan is functioning. Currently at work, so don't know the resolution I selected off the top of my head, but I know it's the 2nd one down under the scaled display settings. I know that when it's reaching those high temps, if I change it to an even lower resolution, the temps do go down a little. Also, I do have a 2nd display attached, which is set to 1080p. Both screens are at different resolutions.

Back early on with my iMac, I used to run both screens, with the 5K at 5K. Also used to be able to run a lot more things together. Like I would have 2 Twitch streams open, plus music playing, while also playing a game on it. Now... I can barely do half of that.

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
0.3GHz better; that's good. I was observing similar speeds when running the 1080p via HDMI.
I do notice that there's less GPU usage (none) on yours than it was on mine.

Which screen are you running?
2560x1440 + 1920x1200...BUT: I am running them both at scaled 2x retina resolution. The actual frame buffer being rendered (off-screen) is 5120x2880 plus 3840x2400. Then each are scaled to target display. I use SwitchResX for this. See my other posts on this. I know this is working, because if I take a screenshot, the size is 5120x2880 or 3840x2400.

I only do this to smooth out fonts in Preview, and is not actually all that taxing for GPU now that I added 32GB RAM.
How much RAM do you have?
[doublepost=1548342507][/doublepost]
I have iStat Menus installed. I can see and hear the fan max out at 100%, without any weird noises, so I know the fan is functioning. Currently at work, so don't know the resolution I selected off the top of my head, but I know it's the 2nd one down under the scaled display settings. I know that when it's reaching those high temps, if I change it to an even lower resolution, the temps do go down a little. Also, I do have a 2nd display attached, which is set to 1080p. Both screens are at different resolutions.

Back early on with my iMac, I used to run both screens, with the 5K at 5K. Also used to be able to run a lot more things together. Like I would have 2 Twitch streams open, plus music playing, while also playing a game on it. Now... I can barely do half of that.
As far as I understand: I you choose a scaled resolution that is slightly below 5K@2x (= looks like 2560x1440), e.g. lets say you selected "looks like 2304x1296" it will actually render a 2x desktop at 4608x2592, then have to slightly upscale it to fit your 5120x2880 screen. This scaling step is more work than directly rendering and displaying a 5K desktop at 2x - which requires no scaling at all.
A second screen will also add load to the GPU.
In any case, your comp shouldn't shut own unless there is a major fault. Maybe the fan is just clogged. Anyway - I suggest you start a new thread on this. You'll get a lot more help from other iMac owners..

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
I have 32GB of RAM, looks like there was some background stuff going on.
I'm only running an ultrafine 4K native

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
I have 32GB of RAM, looks like there was some background stuff going on.
I'm only running an ultrafine 4K native
Intriguing though...your CPU wattage is lower. Do you have anything drawing power from the mini? Could it be the TB hub inside the LG display...?

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
Intriguing though...your CPU wattage is lower. Do you have anything drawing power from the mini? Could it be the TB hub inside the LG display...?
my ports were quite full lol
prot1 tb3 nvme drive (bus powered)
port2 fireface400 interface (external psu)
port3 lg ultrafine
port4 usb3.0 SSD
USB-A1 keyboard
:)

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
Interesting to consider that having things attached may power-limit the CPU!
Have you retested with everything except LG display unplugged?

GoodGuy12345

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2018
Canada
My fan runs perfectly fine, using Macs Fan Control software I see mine at the AUTO setting, the most concerning part is my CPU near 100 degrees. I have no confidence seeing that I get 100 degrees and other Mac mini users have around 95-100.

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
My fan runs perfectly fine, using Macs Fan Control software I see mine at the AUTO setting, the most concerning part is my CPU near 100 degrees. I have no confidence seeing that I get 100 degrees and other Mac mini users have around 95-100.
Can you show me a computer with this generation of intel i7 or i9 chip that doesn't hit 95C+ under load?

GoodGuy12345

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2018
Canada
Can you show me a computer with this generation of intel i7 or i9 chip that doesn't hit 95C+ under load?
All the PCs in the world, and if you want a comparison that is similar form factor as Mac mini, I'd say the Intel NUCs and other NUCs/compact Pre-built PCs of 2017+ release dates don't get up 95+. They hover at around 80+ that is still saver than a few degrees away from T-junction.

I'm a proud Mac and Apple customer, but I have also tinkered with PCs for a hobby and don't understand why Macs are the only ones that have higher than normal heat output.

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
All the PCs in the world, and if you want a comparison that is similar form factor as Mac mini, I'd say the Intel NUCs and other NUCs/compact Pre-built PCs of 2017+ release dates don't get up 95+. They hover at around 80+ that is still saver than a few degrees away from T-junction.

I'm a proud Mac and Apple customer, but I have also tinkered with PCs for a hobby and don't understand why Macs are the only ones that have higher than normal heat output.
Do you have a link to a screenshot where someone is stressing the same (8th) generation i7 CPU with the same workload on a NUC (or small Form factor computer with regular cooler), and has a screenshot of Intel Power Gadget?

As far as I can see, the only way to stop it hitting 100C is either:
1. A significantly over-specced (for normal use) cooling solution. Does this exist inside a NUC?
If it does, then yes, we should expect more form Apple too.
2. Power-limiting the CPU so that it cannot turbo so high (thus reducing heat output).

From my (limited) research, 6th-7th gen (2017) CPUs are mostly dual or quad core and don't have the same power draw or heat output. But I am happy to be pointed in the right direction.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.