Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoodGuy12345

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2018
Canada
Do you have a link to a screenshot where someone is stressing the same generation i7 CPU with the same workload on a NUC, and has a screenshot of Intel Power Gadget?

As far as I can see, the only way to stop it hitting 100C is either:
1. A significantly over-specced (for normal use) cooling solution. I cannot believe this exists inside a NUC.
2. Power-limiting the CPU so that it cannot turbo so high (thus reducing heat output).
I unfortunately do not have a screenshot at the moment (might find one, that tests with cinebench), but I see that the NUC has a place to get air. The PC towers I tinker with have big opening for air to go in and out while Macs only had air to go out. Even the PCs that have proper exhaust big got a big sheet of glass in the front also bake like the Mac Mini.
[doublepost=1548362813][/doublepost]I guess the best thing to hope for would be 10nm or 7nm processors in presumably Mac 2020 that would improve thermals, so cooling it is less of a concern.

Last edited:

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
I unfortunately do not have a screenshot at the moment (might find one, that tests with cinebench), but I see that the NUC has a place to get air. The PC towers I tinker with have big opening for air to go in and out while Macs only had air to go out. Even the PCs that have proper exhaust big got a big sheet of glass in the front also bake like the Mac Mini.
[doublepost=1548362813][/doublepost]I guess the best thing to hope for would be 10nm or 7nm processors in presumably Mac 2020 that would improve thermals, so cooling it is less of a concern.
Are you sure they are 8th gen chips? 6th-7th gen chips generally have low(ish) turbos and low(ish) peak temps.
The 8th and new 9th gen chips seem to create an insane amount of heat when they turbo. Way above the specified TDP. More like an inbuilt overclocked CPU (without the custom cooling solution needed to keep them cool).

GoodGuy12345

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2018
Canada
Are you sure they are 8th gen chips? 6th-7th gen chips generally have low(ish) turbos and low(ish) peak temps.
The 8th and new 9th gen chips seem to create an insane amount of heat when they turbo. Way above the specified TDP. More like an inbuilt overclocked CPU (without the custom cooling solution needed to keep them cool).
Yes, the recent NUCs (Hades Canyon and a few before) are under the 8000 series SKUs and also the PC towers I worked with are mostly 8th gen, not 9th since that is too new.

Reactions: Spectrum

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
I just did quick experiment. Removing bottom cover increases 12-core "yes" test from 3.7Ghz to 3.8Ghz.
Not much, I agree, but it may indeed suggest that a larger/faster fan would make a difference for long/heavy renders.

Reactions: tagumcity and Ploki

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
Intriguing though...your CPU wattage is lower. Do you have anything drawing power from the mini? Could it be the TB hub inside the LG display...?

indeed it's the LG and maybe the drives? i get 3.5 stable when running the LG, however if i disconnect it it jumps up :)

edit:
just to clarify, i'm happy with how the mini performs.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-01-25 at 19.34.10.png
    Screenshot 2019-01-25 at 19.34.10.png
    524.6 KB · Views: 226
Reactions: Spectrum

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
indeed it's the LG and maybe the drives? i get 3.5 stable when running the LG, however if i disconnect it it jumps up :)

edit:
just to clarify, i'm happy with how the mini performs.
Interesting result - thanks for posting! It's not obvious that external items would power limit the CPU. It is something some people will like to be aware of. i.e. Time critical render tasks should be run headless.

Overall, I am also very pleased with the mini. It took me a while to get used to it funnily enough, but now I think it is absolutely brilliant. I love that this is more-or-less the fastest Mac on the planet for basic jobs. The iGPU is much better than I expected (especially after adding 32GB RAM), the RAM swap itself was not too much trouble, and unless I am stressing the computer, it runs absolutely silent. Indeed, the fan is quieter at idle than my outgoing 2011 quad i7, and yet I have tonnes more performance!

There has been a lot of complaints on here about the 2018 mini, but I for one, think it is great!

LorenK

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2007
Illinois
Just a thought, but after I burned out the motherboard on my MacMini several years ago, still under warranty fortunately, I went out and bought a stand that keeps it vertical, and not a problem since, except this last year the GPU died on it, so it is now a doorstop. Oh, well, I got lots of use out of it.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
Just a thought, but after I burned out the motherboard on my MacMini several years ago, still under warranty fortunately, I went out and bought a stand that keeps it vertical, and not a problem since, except this last year the GPU died on it, so it is now a doorstop. Oh, well, I got lots of use out of it.
i didnt know the integrated GPU can even die on it's own. eek

F-Train

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2015
NYC & Newfoundland
I just did quick experiment. Removing bottom cover increases 12-core "yes" test from 3.7Ghz to 3.8Ghz.
Not much, I agree, but it may indeed suggest that a larger/faster fan would make a difference for long/heavy renders.

Look up posts by @megaseppl . He talks in detail, with photos, about removing the rubber bottom cover and placing a fan under the mini. He says that he got a significant performance increase.

His posts are in the long thread on the mini and heat. A search for his name will bring them up.

Reactions: Ploki

chinito77

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2015
Japan
My i7 MacMini w/32GB RAM has been slowing down recently for no reason. It gets super hot and performance begins to slow down. I downloaded a temperature app called Macs Fan Control and I cannot believe the results. My biggest fear is that something went wrong during the RAM upgrade.

Screen Shot 2019-02-05 at 23.05.56.png

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
My i7 MacMini w/32GB RAM has been slowing down recently for no reason. It gets super hot and performance begins to slow down. I downloaded a temperature app called Macs Fan Control and I cannot believe the results. My biggest fear is that something went wrong during the RAM upgrade.

View attachment 820059
Have you checked activity monitor to see what is hogging the CPU?

GoodGuy12345

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2018
Canada

View attachment 820059
What are you running to achieve those temps, they aren't that hot. The temperatures are around 70C that isn't that bad.

HenryAZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2010
South Congress AZ
I use a 120mm case fan, AC powered (available from DigiKey). It's mounted on the wall behind the Mini and blows gently across the top of the case. The case never gets hot, though it does go through varying degrees of warm, depending on the load.

mathemabeat

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2009
Cincinnati, OH
I wouldn't mind seeing a reasonably priced expansion base be introduced for the mini.

Snap off the existing plastic plate on the bottom of the mini, and then snap the mini down onto this new expansion base. Inside it contains a slow moving cooling fan and extra storage options. Maybe a NVME or Sata port or two for some SSDs. Connects to the Mini via USB-C.

One can dream.

GoodGuy12345

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2018
Canada
I wouldn't mind seeing a reasonably priced expansion base be introduced for the mini.

Snap off the existing plastic plate on the bottom of the mini, and then snap the mini down onto this new expansion base. Inside it contains a slow moving cooling fan and extra storage options. Maybe a NVME or Sata port or two for some SSDs. Connects to the Mini via USB-C.

One can dream.
FYI, just in case you didn't see the earlier post. Yours and other dreams (mine) has come true: https://www.speed-designs.com/

PS, storage may still be separate...

mathemabeat

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2009
Cincinnati, OH
There is a joker in every thread :)

LOL I know, totally fantasy, right?

Well, it's the same shape as the Mac mini, I don't see why it is ugly.

I have 2 issues with it's aesthetics: The raw aluminum/metal look of it. If it was maybe powder coated or anodized it would look far better. Especially if it matched the Space Gray. Or even just black.

And the terrible feet on it. Looks like a 70s era stereo component.

Reactions: LeeW

GoodGuy12345

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2018
Canada
LOL I know, totally fantasy, right?

I have 2 issues with it's aesthetics: The raw aluminum/metal look of it. If it was maybe powder coated or anodized it would look far better. Especially if it matched the Space Gray. Or even just black.

And the terrible feet on it. Looks like a 70s era stereo component.
Their site states that it is anodized, to me it is just not sandblasted to get a satin finish like the apple products.
But a space grey one would be nice to see.

Reactions: Partron22

chinito77

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2015
Japan
Sorry for the late reply but I only use my mini as a media/VLC hub. I have it attached to a 55inch 4k Sony OLED and when doing things like running itunes or viewing photos will heat my mini to the point that it goes to sleep and won't wake up until it cools down.

I also want to point out that I use to have this in another room attached to a 20" 4k monitor via Thunderbolt and a 21" Dell 1080P monitor via HDMI. It too would over heat and go to sleep if I watched Youtube vids in full screen (4K) or worked with multiple windows open when photoshopping artwork.

This was never a problem before tossing in 32GBs of RAM so I think I need to either check to make sure everything was properly secured during install or see if I didn't accidentally rip/damage and temperature sensors?

Reactions: sauria

Giuanniello

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2012
Capri - Italy
Not to open another thread since this is already carrying loads of informations, I am gonna get a 2012 Mini Server with 16GB and a fusion drive, I am so very probably going to replace the drive with an SSD or to add the SSD to it and wondering if there is any option to make the cooling system a little less loud (well, I don't have it here yet but I suppose fan noise being easy to hear, I own a couple 2007 Minis and when I planned to use one of them as a music server the fan noise did bother me, yes, I know, a friend used to say that my ears are too sensitive...) than the stock one, any hint?

Grazie

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.