Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KANDAQ

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2016
I installed Macs Fan Control app on my 2012 Mac Mini and saw the temperature dropped from 96 celcius to around 72 within seconds. The app pushes the fan speed beyond what MacOS allows and you'll know it coz you can hear the fan whirring at max RPM.

Reactions: dabotsonline

grrrz

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2012
If you want to know what's up simply install "intel power gadget"; it will give you the cpu / igpu frequencies and core temp.
During heavy cpu load you should see the cpu freq go to turbo, the fan will kick in at around 80-85°C; the temp will increase to get close to to tjunction (usually about 100°C) and then the CPU freq progressively going back to base clock. If the frequency doesn't go below base clock when used for an extended period of time then it's working as it should. If it does there is indeed a throttling problem. You should note that during light load the cpu also underclocks itself to preserve power consumption and lower heat. Also the computer should be a bit hot to the touch, that's perfectly normal, it's how it dissipates heat.

grrrz

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2012
people seem to get worried for nothing on this thread. I don't know what you do with your mac but there are a few applications that puts it on its knee, depending of the cpu (assuming you don't game on it which would be silly, there's video rendering, a very heavy video editing session, or a 32/64 heavily loaded audio composition/mixing session (mind you, the audio will probaby choke way before you reach a full load)).
So yes under these circumstances you'll reach close to a 100°C, which is within intel specs for those computers, possibly while still maintaining a good amount of turbo for a while. For most usages it will probably be lower; and still a 85°C constant core emp is perfectly fine. Of course if you want it cooler you can always have the fan blow full speed and have an annoying noisy fan next to you, it's up to you. Compared to the thermals constraints in laptops (which can after a few years throttle almost to a halt), there is really nothing to worry about.

hagjohn

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2006
Pennsylvania
How you get so low temperatures. Mine Mac mini 2018 i5 processor modified with 16 go ram and Radeon core x Vega 64 I get 70 to 80 without any load. The point is the temperature is not stable. Is jumping from 68 to 80. It makes me to wonder if I get defect cpu.
I haven’t done anything, other than adding the external cooling.

gsloan

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2013
Austin, TX
Just did an application of Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut on my new 2018 i7 Mini while upgrading the RAM. No additional cooling, yet. But I'm looking at doing one of those coolers from Ali Express with a Noctua NF-A12x25 fan in it.

9to5 Mac must have had a bad batch of kryonaut or something as well, since on my first Cinebench R15 run, this system scored 1210 without any additional fans. Just the kryonaut application. Sure, it's still throttling some, but not a terrible amount. The noctua setup could help out even more...we'll see. :)

Apropos of nothing, I picked up two of these and am rocking 64GB now. Stupid good price for Mac Mini (and iMac) compatible RAM - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N124XDS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-09-09 at 7.16.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-09 at 7.16.28 PM.png
    142.9 KB · Views: 221
  • IMAGE 2019-09-09 19:17:18.jpg
    IMAGE 2019-09-09 19:17:18.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:

grrrz

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2012
Just did an application of Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut on my new 2018 i7 Mini while upgrading the RAM. No additional cooling, yet. But I'm looking at doing one of those coolers from Ali Express with a Noctua NF-A12x25 fan in it.

9to5 Mac must have had a bad batch of kryonaut or something as well, since on my first Cinebench R15 run, this system scored 1210 without any additional fans. Just the kryonaut application. Sure, it's still throttling some, but not a terrible amount. The noctua setup could help out even more...we'll see. :)

Apropos of nothing, I picked up two of these and am rocking 64GB now. Stupid good price for Mac Mini (and iMac) compatible RAM - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N124XDS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The power gadget screenshot shows your cpu idling, not throttling, so what do you mean it was throttling some? it shouldn't throttle at all, specially ater using top notch thermal paste. do you mean it doesn't turbo all the way through the test (which is normal)? throttling means it will go under your base clock. Did it actually? (sorry if it's obvious for you but it's a bit confusing)

gsloan

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2013
Austin, TX
The power gadget screenshot shows your cpu idling, not throttling, so what do you mean it was throttling some?

You have correctly identified this was illustrative of idle temperatures, not load temperatures. :)

It was hitting 100C and downclocking during both application usage and benchmarks. I come from the land of servers and workstations where any reduction in turbo boost speeds due to thermals is “throttling.” Regardless of it throttling from a turbo boost speed, throttling is throttling.

I get that we like being pedantic about that here, however when the CPU keeps hitting 100C and reducing its speed, it’s “throttling” from its max turbo boost speed, which while considered “normal” as one is only promised the base clock, is sub-optimal from a maximum potential performance standpoint.

it shouldn't throttle at all, specially ater using top notch thermal paste. do you mean it doesn't turbo all the way through the test (which is normal)? throttling means it will go under your base clock. Did it actually? (sorry if it's obvious for you but it's a bit confusing)

I agree. Given a more robust cooling solution, at peak usage, the CPU should be able to maintain its full turbo clock. However, this is a small, compromised desktop design. I knew that coming into it. :)

In many systems (HP workstations/ ProLiant Gen 10 servers, for example), the single core turbo boost speed may be applied to all cores because the cooling solution can maintain the TDP of all cores fully boosting at max load, without “throttling” from max turbo boost.

All that being said, I’m very happy with the system for the price I paid, and I’m happy with the noise/form factor/cooling and performance compromises made. The Kryonaut helps reduce temps somewhat, even at idle.

Last edited:

LorenK

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2007
Illinois
people seem to get worried for nothing on this thread.
Well, the world is full of worriers, but I actually had my MacMini crap out due to a fried mother board within 6 months of purchase. It was replaced, but what I did was simply get a stand so that the MacMini is held vertical rather lie on its belly. The replacement Mini crapped out after six years due to a gpu problem, but it had operated under pretty heavy load for that period, so I'm not complaining.

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
Is there any actual data from anyone showing that any of these aftermarket cooling solutions actually helping?

TomM1

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2017
Is there any actual data from anyone showing that any of these aftermarket cooling solutions actually helping?

Depends on what you mean by helping.

I don't have charts and graphs but my Mini was getting very very warm while working on 1GB files in Affinity Photo.
The ambient room temperature was 85ºF.
After placing the fan under the Mini it is much cooler to the touch.
Some software activity will still cause the fans to rev but the outside of the Mini remains not hot.

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
Depends on what you mean by helping.

I don't have charts and graphs but my Mini was getting very very warm while working on 1GB files in Affinity Photo.
The ambient room temperature was 85ºF.
After placing the fan under the Mini it is much cooler to the touch.
Some software activity will still cause the fans to rev but the outside of the Mini remains not hot.
I'm looking for CPU temps, before and after. As well as what clock speed it's running at before and after. The case being warm doesn't really matter.

The Intel power gadget will show temps and clock speed and load. Macs fan control will report all the temp readings of the various sensors inside.
I run at 100% load for 2-8 hours at a time so the CPU running cooler is what will help most.

I've tested a variety of things on mine that made the case cooler but none have done anything about the CPU temp.

Last edited:

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
I am surprised that nobody has a product out there that allows you to remove the bottom cover and attach a good fan. The design has been about for so long now and it would be a popular purchase I suspect.

oppastopa

macrumors member
May 25, 2019
I am surprised that nobody has a product out there that allows you to remove the bottom cover and attach a good fan. The design has been about for so long now and it would be a popular purchase I suspect.

They do have that. It's like 150 dollars.

iAssimilated

Contributor
Apr 29, 2018
the PNW
I have one of these. It covers most of the bottom and is very steady.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MWH4FL4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I purchased a smaller one to exhaust my My Cloud EXT2 Ultra, to cool my HD’s.

I might have missed it, but what setting did you select for your fan speed?

-- EDIT --

This is my DIY solution for cooling:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XGM3QQN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They separate my minis to get more natural air flow. My 2018 mini idles at 40C.

-- EDIT 2 --

I too really like my 2018 mini, it has been a wonderful little machine and has done everything I have asked of it without issue.

Also, I enjoyed this thread!

Last edited:

GoodGuy12345

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2018
Canada
Woah, this thread actually got soo much replies. I just made it to ask about cooling for Mac mini, and I guess a lot of people wonder the same thing.

Have you got a link?

I bought one for myself, and it works pretty good. Just need to use a plastic card or iFixit pick to pull off that black plastic cover at the bottom, then the cooling base has a ridge that goes into the bottom of the Mac and secures it down. Temp sensors might lie, but feeling it yourself isn't. The Mac mini is cool/cold to the touch when on the cooling base. It used to get warm, then hot on loads, but now it is... uhh... let's just say ice cold for the aluminum chassis. I believe there was another reply on page 3 or 4, I think, that was someone else that also bought it. They said the aluminum was cold rather than warm.

Reactions: tagumcity and LeeW

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
Woah, this thread actually got soo much replies. I just made it to ask about cooling for Mac mini, and I guess a lot of people wonder the same thing.

I bought one for myself, and it works pretty good. Just need to use a plastic card or iFixit pick to pull off that black plastic cover at the bottom, then the cooling base has a ridge that goes into the bottom of the Mac and secures it down. Temp sensors might lie, but feeling it yourself isn't. The Mac mini is cool/cold to the touch when on the cooling base. It used to get warm, then hot on loads, but now it is... uhh... let's just say ice cold for the aluminum chassis. I believe there was another reply on page 3 or 4, I think, that was someone else that also bought it. They said the aluminum was cold rather than warm.
But what about the CPU temps under full load? What's the clock frequency? Before the fan and after?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.