Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tagumcity

macrumors regular
May 11, 2015
Tempe, Arizona
If blowing air on it might it collect a ton of dust in a short period? Might it be better (but less effective) to pull air from it?
Thanks for the comment. It reminded me to get back to this small experiment of lowering the temperatures. You have good point concerning dust and if I continue with the setup, then I will use Dustend G1 or G2 filter material. For now I've put the black cover back on it and will watch the temperatures.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I use a vertical stand not so much for cooling as for reducing the footprint.

I bought it originally for my now-retired Mac mini 2010. Since Apple has maintained the same form factor it works fine with my current Mac mini 2018.

Here's a similar model at Amazon:

although mine is from a different manufacturer. It's just a piece of stamped aluminum and a silicone grommet.

I do the same with my MacBook Pros which leaves a lot more space on the desk. What would be interesting is a stand that's a bit taller so that I could out one or two fans underneath it.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I do the same with my MacBook Pros which leaves a lot more space on the desk. What would be interesting is a stand that's a bit taller so that I could out one or two fans underneath it.

I was using an inexpensive aluminum stand to hold my MBP 15" on the side and I strapped a big fan to one side the base (also on the side) definitely helped a little, just circulating some air across the bottom. That was on the side facing the wall, so it was even hidden. :)

!!!

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2013
On all my Mac minis, I just turn them upside down and take off the cover if it's overheating. Works just fine. If it's a few years old, try cleaning out the dust in the heatsink/fan, then you might have to replace the thermal paste.

Reactions: tagumcity

mattymac1020

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2011
I haven't checked every reply here, so if someone has mentioned this, sorry to repeat it. There's a free app called Macs Fan Control, which allows for control of the internal exhaust fan of your mac. There's also a pro version with a few more bells and whistles for @$20. May not be a complete solution, but it's been working pretty well for me so far. This in conjunction with keeping the bottom ventilated. Cheers!

Reactions: Reflej0

Reflej0

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2020
If you want additional security, use it as suggested by the Mac Fan Controls program (use it) and set the fan RPM to 4000 RPM (from a maximum of 4500 RPM), it is true that it makes some noise (if it is low or much depends on the perception of each one) but the processor stays between 40° and 60° and that at least leaves me satisfied.
It is preferable that the fans rotate a little faster before the temperature is higher.

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
I'm thinking of getting one of these to fix to the bottom opening (remove plastic and antenna plate, and put this there instead). Any thoughts? Ideally, I'd like a larger diameter fan, up to 200mm, but can't seem to find one with a variable speed and USB power input. Any links?

sleeperjeff

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2020
texas
I am looking at purchasing a used Mac Mini that can run the latest (Mojave) as my next computer, but I have heard and seen online that the aluminium unibody Mac minis all have an issue with overheating. They get extremely hot when put on load and the heat can be felt through the aluminum casing.

I was wondering, if there are any solutions I can buy along with my Mac mini to keep it cool and running smooth, so it doesn't throttle or anything bad that extreme heat can do. I couldn't find anything solutions to cool the Mini, but to just stick a computer fan under it or pop off the plastic base. I hope to hear that there is a better way to ensure the computer gets properly cooled. I would love to have a Mac at a low cost, but for it not to bake at high temperatures.
I purchased 2 Axial LS1225A-X 5" square equipment fans and the speed controller from Amazon. They're pretty quiet. I have the Mac Mini mounted under a shelf on my workstation with a VESA style slide in mount. the fans are mounted to the bottom of a wire mesh letter tray which is mounted to the shelf under the mini.

Even with the fan, the mini runs around 55º C then I have to turn up the speed and it will cool to around 40º under load. The Wavlink enclosure will also get to 55º C without a fan but will cool to 40º.

The fans are 16.99 each and the speed controller is 17.99. The letter trays are cheap. 3 to a pack 14.97.

I'm thinking about removing the plastic cover on the bottom of the mini, I can't see why that would be harmful but I'm going to check around.

hope this is helpful. I'm sure there's other ways depending on your work area to do a simpler solution.

Jeff
[automerge]1580184343[/automerge]
I'm thinking of getting one of these to fix to the bottom opening (remove plastic and antenna plate, and put this there instead). Any thoughts? Ideally, I'd like a larger diameter fan, up to 200mm, but can't seem to find one with a variable speed and USB power input. Any links?
Axial 1225 on amazon by infinity 16.99 and the axial speed controller 17.99 there's a model for one fan or two fans. I'm using 2 and will probably remove the plastic cover as you suggest. These fans are AC but fairly quiet. Hope this helps.

Jeff

Attachments

• IMG_0154.jpg
    IMG_0154.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 1,260
  • IMG_0155.jpg
    IMG_0155.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 1,253
Reactions: Spectrum

sleeperjeff

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2020
texas
Anyone have idea if placing the mini on some kind of raised grate that allows air to freely circulate or mounting it vertically so that more surface is exposed to freely circulating air would have any benefit?
here's a pic of my set-up, a little kooky but it works:

Attachments

• IMG_0154.jpg
    IMG_0154.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 557
Reactions: grayskyz

sleeperjeff

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2020
texas
Thanks. Now looking at this model. Twin pack, USB, with speed controller.
Thanks for the info.
I’m just asking really because I don’t know but do you think that drawing the current from the computers own power supply for the fans would also create heat? But it’s definitely convenient to not have to find external AC.

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
Thanks for the info.
I’m just asking really because I don’t know but do you think that drawing the current from the computers own power supply for the fans would also create heat? But it’s definitely convenient to not have to find external AC.
I agree that it is hard to see that adding a fan can mean less heat from the PSU...the power has to come from somewhere after all. However, as far as I can tell, these 5V fans are routinely only around 0.1-0.2 Amps, so <1 Watt. Therefore, probably negligible.
[automerge]1580217691[/automerge]
Another option...almost identical dimensions to the mini: (8 inch square) Could make a nice air-cooled base...The grill even comes off enabling a snug fitting to the mini (with base plates removed).

Last edited:

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
Test results. A speed controllable USB powered AC finity 140 mm fan arrived today. Looks well-made, is pretty quiet, and is nicely packaged...but doesn't actually feel like it blows that much air...

I tried a few orientations of the fan, including 2018 Mini upside down, bottom case off, fan directly blowing into the mini (see photos).
I also tried with the silver airport antenna plate removed. This made a slight difference, but isn't very practical.

Results: The best I can see is ~2-5% increase in Geekbench and CinebenchR15 scores compared to stock configuration. The fan also does not prevent the CPU easily hitting 100C under multi-core load.

All-in-all, it was a useful experiment, but not really worthwhile doing for me. I think that to get a maximum CPU performance the mini needs a better internal cooling fan/heatsink etc.

1580923174582.png

IMG_7538.JPG
IMG_7539.JPG

EDIT:

And of course, just to test, I ran a Geekbench5 without additional fan, stock configuration...and got one of the highest scores I've seen! 1275 single & 6386 multi

So...make of that what you will...

Attachments

• IMG_7540.JPG
    IMG_7540.JPG
    311.9 KB · Views: 2,831
Last edited:
Reactions: Scorned

Toonartist

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2017
Newcastle Upon Tyne
I've just bought this fan as well. Working today I've seen a drop of 8c-10c when loading the computer with C1 Pro, Photoshop 2019. It now rarely goes over 80c when working in PS. This used to be 90-95c.

I do have it the other way round, the Mini sat on top of the fan, seems to pull a bit more that way but, as mentioned, didn't feel that powerful!

I'll be testing with Autopano Giga that hammers the CPU, Memory and eGPU to see how it fairs. Some more C1 Pro editing which oddly really ramps up the temperature etc but nowhere near as much as Autopano does... that rapidly reaches max temp... probably something to do with 5-10 x 200mb files.

The pic was taken after I stopped working (PS edits) so cooled down by the time I got the camera out.

What I will say though, as I use an external TB3 enclosure for my Samsung 970 eve as well as an eGPU, a lot of the heat generating components are out of the main mini already, which helps a lot. It now ticks over with a low of 35c - no usage, 40-45c light usage and 60-80 with photo editing. I expect the 95-100 for video editing.

IMG_2745.jpg

IMG_2743.jpg

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
I've just bought this fan as well. Working today I've seen a drop of 8c-10c when loading the computer with C1 Pro, Photoshop 2019. It now rarely goes over 80c when working in PS. This used to be 90-95c.

I do have it the other way round, the Mini sat on top of the fan, seems to pull a bit more that way but, as mentioned, didn't feel that powerful!

I'll be testing with Autopano Giga that hammers the CPU, Memory and eGPU to see how it fairs. Some more C1 Pro editing which oddly really ramps up the temperature etc but nowhere near as much as Autopano does... that rapidly reaches max temp... probably something to do with 5-10 x 200mb files.

The pic was taken after I stopped working (PS edits) so cooled down by the time I got the camera out.

What I will say though, as I use an external TB3 enclosure for my Samsung 970 eve as well as an eGPU, a lot of the heat generating components are out of the main mini already, which helps a lot. It now ticks over with a low of 35c - no usage, 40-45c light usage and 60-80 with photo editing. I expect the 95-100 for video editing.

View attachment 892669

View attachment 892665
This is the set up I was anticipating using! I first tried it like that with the fan under the mini, and found a reproducible, but lesser, increase in Cinebench and Geekbench scores than when I had the fan on top. The thing I found is that when the fan is blocked from behind it creates almost no forward airflow.

Try this yourself: put your hand over the fan with it held freely in the air. You can feel a flow towards you.
But if you block the back by putting it flat in the desk, there is almost not forward flow.

In fact, I tested with tissue paper scraps, and when the fan is on the desk, the rotational centre of the fan actually creates a relative vacuum, with forward airflow only evident out from the edges.

Importantly, if your set up is working for your that is what counts, but I was a bit underwhelmed by the marginal improvement considering the size (140mm) of the fan.

Did you try any more intense tasks? Cinebench hits all 12 threads, and peak power can hit 110 watts for a few seconds on my machine, dropping to a stable 75-80watts at 3.6-3.7Ghz.
[automerge]1580932941[/automerge]
anyone tried to convert the antennae to something less obstructive?
I removed the antenna plate completely and had the fan tight up against the mini, but it really didn't seem to make much difference at all to Cinebench scores. CPU still throttled down from maximum power draw (100Watts ish) after a few seconds. Perhaps because the mini fan is right in the middle, it wasn't really in the flow of the AC Infinity fan? (Which comes more off the blades than the centre.)

So I don't think airflow, per se, is the issue. I think it is the ability to get that cool air across the heat sink/CPU that is limiting. Alternatively, we need a much faster fan, or one with a more concentrated air flow onto either the heat sink or apple fan inlet.

With respect to modifying antenna plate itself: The 2011, and 2012 both had a much smaller plate (permitting access to RAM etc). So possibly that could be used as a replacement part.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ploki

Toonartist

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2017
Newcastle Upon Tyne
This is the set up I was anticipating using! I first tried it like that with the fan under the mini, and found a reproducible, but lesser, increase in Cinebench and Geekbench scores than when I had the fan on top. The thing I found is that when the fan is blocked from behind it creates almost no forward airflow.

Try this yourself: put your hand over the fan with it held freely in the air. You can feel a flow towards you.
But if you block the back by putting it flat in the desk, there is almost not forward flow.

In fact, I tested with tissue paper scraps, and when the fan is on the desk, the rotational centre of the fan actually creates a relative vacuum, with forward airflow only evident out from the edges.

Importantly, if your set up is working for your that is what counts, but I was a bit underwhelmed by the marginal improvement considering the size (140mm) of the fan.

Did you try any more intense tasks? Cinebench hits all 12 threads, and peak power can hit 110 watts for a few seconds on my machine, dropping to a stable 75-80watts at 3.6-3.7Ghz.

I'll give it a try tomorrow... I'll see if I can run Geekbench 5 again. I've ran it before... results below. That was after applying liquid metal to the cpu when I was upgrading the ram to 32gb.

So far, especially for only £13, it seems to be worthwhile given the drop in temp when using C1 & PS etc.

What is interesting, moving the SSD to the external TB3 enclosure makes a big difference. The Sonnet enclosure has a fan in it and the drive is fairly stable between 33c-38c. The internal SSD, which isn't used at all, is 42-50c. The additional heat from saving large 4k motion movie files would boost that a lot so the external enclosure helps remove a lot of additional heat from the unit.

Single-Core - 1126
Multi-Score - 6392

GPU Metal vega 56 - 51974
GPU OpenCl vega 56 - 51185

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
I'll give it a try tomorrow... I'll see if I can run Geekbench 5 again. I've ran it before... results below. That was after applying liquid metal to the cpu when I was upgrading the ram to 32gb.

So far, especially for only £13, it seems to be worthwhile given the drop in temp when using C1 & PS etc.

What is interesting, moving the SSD to the external TB3 enclosure makes a big difference. The Sonnet enclosure has a fan in it and the drive is fairly stable between 33c-38c. The internal SSD, which isn't used at all, is 42-50c. The additional heat from saving large 4k motion movie files would boost that a lot so the external enclosure helps remove a lot of additional heat from the unit.

Single-Core - 1126
Multi-Score - 6392

GPU Metal vega 56 - 51974
GPU OpenCl vega 56 - 51185
Geekbench is not really a good gauge. It gives different values each run, and the tests are not long enough to really stress the CPU that much. Cinebench is a bit better for this, but obviously also completely artificial.

As I said before, if it works to keep it cooler during your tasks, then that is what counts. Question: did you remove the bottom plastic cover? And is the fan blowing or sucking relative to the mini?

Reactions: Toonartist

ibarnett

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2010
Gold Coast, Australia
I have the SVALT S Mini, only received a few days ago:
While not a cheap solution, the quality, looks, & performance are fantastic, my 2018 Mini is now running super cool.
Screen Shot 2020-02-06 at 10.04.59.jpg
IMG_6448.JPG

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
I have the SVALT S Mini, only received a few days ago:
While not a cheap solution, the quality, looks, & performance are fantastic, my 2018 Mini is now running super cool. View attachment 892756 View attachment 892757
Interesting...did you remove the bottom plastic cover?
Would you mind trying a Cinebench test with and without the fan on?
Based on the observations in the preceding posts, I think these fans are probably a good option to keep a mini cooler while under general use, but once all the cores get active, they don't prevent the CPU temp topping out regardless.

Toonartist

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2017
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Interesting...did you remove the bottom plastic cover?
Would you mind trying a Cinebench test with and without the fan on?
Based on the observations in the preceding posts, I think these fans are probably a good option to keep a mini cooler while under general use, but once all the cores get active, they don't prevent the CPU temp topping out regardless.

Yeah... I'm not to worried about it hitting the 95-100c mark. I guess that's what they're designed to do... just want to keep it working at max speed as long as possible and to keep a lower temperature for normal editing work.

Toonartist

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2017
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Ok... had a bit of play with the setup today. Moved the Mini from under the monitor stand and stood it on it's side. I'm thinking of adding a heatsink to the top edge at some point to see if it improves again. Haven't decided whether I can be bothered yet. It'll only cost £10-15 so probably will.

Test. Stitch 5x 150mb files in Autopano Giga. This apps seems to stress test the system quite well in terms of cpu etc. I allowed the same amount of cool down between each run just so one setup didn't get an advantage in cooling down and I waited until the work load on the graph was in the middle so you can see how quick it reaches temperature and as well as cools down.

1. Blue line = base plate off and the Afinity fan stood alongside it.
2. Pink line = is base plate off with no fan.
3. Green line = Base plate on and no fan.

All tests Mac mini was on its side edge. Tests 2 & 3 the fan kicked in, 2 only just. I didn't hear the fan in the 1st one. There seems to be about a 5c difference between each one to start with. The 1st test also finished quicker than the other 2. And the last test cooled down a little quicker to begin with.. possibly the dip in frequency.

Basically, unless you are really pushing the machine a lot you shouldn't need to do anything to cool the system down, it'll be fine without any tinkering but if you run a lot of heavy rendering work etc, then it seems to improve the time it can stay at top performance, cools down quickly and has a lot lower temperature when not under stress.

I'm sat here at the moment at the temp is 31c which is quit a bit lower (10-15c) with the cover on and about another 4-5c lower than deter day with the fan underneath the mini. Also, the internal SSD which isn't used has never been lower than the external one. Normally around 44c or more.

Ran Cinebench R20 test and it came back as 2944... what ever that means :) Barefacts website has the Mini 2018 i7 6 core as being 2191 but I have no idea whether that is accurate or not.

stats graph.jpg

performance graph.jpg

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.