Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ibarnett

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2010
Gold Coast, Australia
Interesting...did you remove the bottom plastic cover?
Would you mind trying a Cinebench test with and without the fan on?
Based on the observations in the preceding posts, I think these fans are probably a good option to keep a mini cooler while under general use, but once all the cores get active, they don't prevent the CPU temp topping out regardless.
Yes, I have removed bottom plastic cover.
Cinebench with cover removed:
Screen Shot 2020-02-07 at 15.24.28.jpg

Reactions: Spectrum

Meatsuit

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2018
North America
I bought the Speed Designs Base for my 18-i7/32/500. My Mini was regularly pushing over 100c. Because I can't leave anything alone. I replaced the fan on the base with a Noctua NF-A8 5V PVW. Control it with a NA-FC1 and new filter. Had to cut a hole in my cabinet to accommodate thicker fan and filter.

Ran some tests. Post some Screen shots of System Idol, Test and Rig

Macs Fan Control set to "Auto". Intel Power Gadget CPU set to "All Tread Frequency" and Intel Graphics Tests set to "Maximum Frequency". Ran this for 30 minutes then a screen shot below. IPG test mode pushes the Mini pretty hard. I hovers around 90c. Pushing Macs Fan Control to a custom setting like 4000rpm will cut 3 or 5 more degrees off the test.
More info for the discourse

rig
View attachment 892968
Idle
View attachment 892969
test
View attachment 892970

Reactions: Spectrum

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
I bought the Speed Designs Base for my 18-i7/32/500. My Mini was regularly pushing over 100c. Because I can't leave anything alone. I replaced the fan on the base with a Noctua NF-A8 5V PVW. Control it with a NA-FC1 and new filter. Had to cut a hole in my cabinet to accommodate thicker fan and filter.

Macs Fan Control set to "Auto". Intel Power Gadget CPU set to "All Tread Frequency" and Intel Graphics Tests set to "Maximum Frequency". Ran this for 30 minutes then a screen shot below. IPG test mode pushes the Mini pretty hard. I hovers around 90c. Pushing Macs Fan Control to a custom setting like 4000rpm will cut 3 or 5 more degrees off the test.

rig
View attachment 892968
Idle
View attachment 892969
test
View attachment 892970
Attachments not loading...

junolab

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2020
Did anyone try to add a flat heatsink on top of the Mac Mini? I'm planning to perhaps put mine under the couch (still plenty of air) and if so I could easily add a 50x50cm heatsink on top if it would distribute the heat better

Toonartist

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2017
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Did anyone try to add a flat heatsink on top of the Mac Mini? I'm planning to perhaps put mine under the couch (still plenty of air) and if so I could easily add a 50x50cm heatsink on top if it would distribute the heat better

I've built a case that uses a large silent fan to draw in air to the open base. On the other side there is a large slab of aluminium. I used heatsink tape on the aluminium so it has a good contact to the top of the mini but can easily be reversed without damage. There's also a rail and stopper to slide it in and stop it from going out the other side. There's a switch to increase the speed of the fan that plus into one of the USB ports. I shaped the wood so it was easy to access the on switch on the Mac mini as well. The fan is rarely on full speed.

Originally I was going to add a heatsink fan to the aluminium but as the item rarely goes over 50-60c even when using large photoshop files... and maxes out at 90c when exporting large 4k motion graphics I've Neve bothered. The normal running temp in winter is 29-31c and in summer it's been 35-38c under normal use.

The pics are a bit rushed as I just snapped them now to give you and idea of what I've done. Hope there useful.

Attachments

• IMG_0213.jpeg
    IMG_0213.jpeg
    948.1 KB · Views: 340
  • IMG_0212.jpeg
    IMG_0212.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 335
  • IMG_0210.jpeg
    IMG_0210.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 355

junolab

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2020
I've built a case that uses a large silent fan to draw in air to the open base. On the other side there is a large slab of aluminium. I used heatsink tape on the aluminium so it has a good contact to the top of the mini. There is also a rails and stopper to slid it in and stop it from going out the other side. There is also a switch to increase the speed of the fan that plus into one of the USB ports. I shaped the wood so it was easy to access the on switch on the Mac mini as well.

Originally I was going to add a heatsink fan to the aluminium but as the item rarely goes over 50-60c even when using large photoshop files... and maxes out at 90c when exporting large 4k motion graphics I've Neve bothered. The normal running temp in winter is 29-31c and in summer it's been 35-38c under normal use.

The pics are a bit rushed as I just snapped them now to give you and idea of what I've done. Hope there useful.

Wow thats creative! I wouldn't be as much, so was just thinking that if I bought a piece of lets say 1cm thick aluminium plate in 30x30 or 50x50 to just put on top, then it would end up in lower fan-noise?

Toonartist

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2017
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Wow thats creative! I wouldn't be as much, so was just thinking that if I bought a piece of lets say 1cm thick aluminium plate in 30x30 or 50x50 to just put on top, then it would end up in lower fan-noise?

I'd imagine, if the mini is standing free (level not on end) and elevated off the floor and with a nice large heatsink fan attached to it with heatsink tape for good contact then it should help. The top of the mini does get warm so any active cooling will help. The fan on the open base (with no cover) just helps to remove the build up of warm air. The combination of course works best. Try just adding the heatsink first and run benchmarking software to see how quickly the temperatures rise etc and whether the mini maintains max power using Intels free power gadget app. If it handles that well then it should handle most things.

Edit - The heatsink fan would attach to the aluminium plate and I think you can get adapters to convert the power cord to usb so the mini can power it itself.

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
Has anyone tried removing the innards from the mac mini case completely, and maybe adding a different heatsink/fan assembly? Could one replace the current heat sink with a liquid cooler for example, or would it just not work if dismantled due to sensors etc?

sauria

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2001
Texas, USA
I've built a case that uses a large silent fan to draw in air to the open base. On the other side there is a large slab of aluminium. I used heatsink tape on the aluminium so it has a good contact to the top of the mini but can easily be reversed without damage. There's also a rail and stopper to slide it in and stop it from going out the other side. There's a switch to increase the speed of the fan that plus into one of the USB ports. I shaped the wood so it was easy to access the on switch on the Mac mini as well. The fan is rarely on full speed.

A beast! Cool forever I bet.

Reactions: Toonartist

ivnj

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2006
Ya its a lot. But its a nice professional looking unit. Anything you hack together might not look or preform as well.

GoodGuy12345

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2018
Canada
Been awhile since I posted here.

The Speed cooling base has been working well for me. Small price to pay for a good investment. Keeps the Mac mini cool (not even warm) and doesn't look out of place on my desk compared to DIY solutions.

I don't know if you guys are willing to stomach the price, but it's worth it if you want something professionally made.

ivnj

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2006
Been awhile since I posted here.

The Speed cooling base has been working well for me. Small price to pay for a good investment. Keeps the Mac mini cool (not even warm) and doesn't look out of place on my desk compared to DIY solutions.

I don't know if you guys are willing to stomach the price, but it's worth it if you want something professionally made.

Exactly, thanks.

sfphoto

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2010
re: fan control

We do not purchase Macs that can not run El Capitan or Sierra for our office since we have so many 32 bit programs which would be cost prohibitive to re-purchase OR are no longer supported by the developer in 64 bit.

We also find Apple seems to want users to buy new machines with great frequency since one can not easily replace a failed drive that is soldered in, batteries that are glued in or may need a new machine as the old one overheated.

One such case in point is SMC Fan Control (32 bit only) which users say has saved their Mac by being able to set the temp at which the internal fan comes on. Other users too have complained as such program does not work w/ the latest 64bit Operating Systems.

Perhaps for those whom want the latest greatest machine that only runs 64 bit programs there is a similar fan control program out there. If not, then placing the Mini on its side in a well ventilated location should give it some relief.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017

rig
View attachment 892968
Idle
View attachment 892969
test
View attachment 892970
Do you have to remove the plastic cover from the bottom of the mini to use this SPEED Base?

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
We do not purchase Macs that can not run El Capitan or Sierra for our office since we have so many 32 bit programs which would be cost prohibitive to re-purchase OR are no longer supported by the developer in 64 bit.

I also have thousands of dollars worth of legacy software that I can't afford to replace in one shot. However, my plan is to upgrade to a fully-loaded i7 Mini and try running Sierra in Parallels to continue using the old software. No idea how well that will work, but I'm going to give it a try. Worst case, I still have my 2012 quad Mini, 2013 MacBook Air, two 2014 Mini's and even a 2008 MacBook Pro, so I'm pretty well covered if I need to use my old software. :)

iAssimilated

Contributor
Apr 29, 2018
the PNW
Do you have to remove the plastic cover from the bottom of the mini to use this SPEED Base?

From everything I have seen and read, yes, the product is designed to have the bottom of the mini removed. I will let you know for sure, since I bought two on Friday. I plan to add some sort of filtering material to the outside of the fan to keep the dust intake down.

Reactions: Boyd01

WickedPorter

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2012
I have mine sitting on it's side with bottom cover removed, also re-pasted with MX-4. My Cinebench R20 average score is 2989 (4 tests, 2 minutes between each test). I did not look at temps or fan speeds.

ETA: 6-core i7, 64GB RAM

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.