Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

undertaker1981

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2020
Hi guys,
here my two cents about cooling solution. I started to have some problem after display change. I bought for work a LG 34" ultrawide display with 3440x1440 resolution to replace my old 24" full hd display.
The "mini" manage it without problem (by DP at 50hz) even if officially it can't manage this resolution in technical spech. the only issue was the rising of the temperature. So i decided to start my intervention

This is a "work in progress" project.
Used materials for the first step:
- Mac mini 2012
- thermal paste Artic mx4

The original paste was dried an cracked, by the way, it has 8 years, so IMHO it's normal.
After replacement, immediately i found an improvement in termal management, but is still under pressure.

Second step:
remove the bottom cover and place the mini over a cheap cooling base for laptop (trust ziva).
Interesting results: during cinebench20, in both cases, it never throttle, but in standard configuration the internal fan runs at maximum speed (5500 rpm), and the temperature rise until 95-98°C.
Without bottom cover and the little wind, it was able to stay at 90 °C but with the fan at 4500-4800 rpm

WIth this good results, and seeing the "Speedo" professional solution, i decided to improve the fan power.

Third step, material used:
-USB fan of 140mm
-some rubber stoppers

IMG_20200627_144138.jpg

IMG_20200627_144149.jpg
IMG_20200627_144344.jpg

I can't compare the results in cinebench 20 because now summer has come and in the room I have 29 °C (instead 20-22).
By the way, with this solution, I can hold the CPU at 47°C with web browsing (firefox), Whatsapp desktop, email (thunderbird). The fan stay at minimum rpm (1800).
fans control has been set to start at 65°c with a maximum target at 90° (CPU PECI)

Schermata 2020-06-27 alle 16.36.00.jpg

Currently, I'm quite satisfied, but I still have the last step to improve: built a kind of "case" to hide the fan that looks like a base for mini. I'm also thinking about whether to include a small USB port hub and SD card reader in it so that they are available in front.

Stay tuned for the news.

Reactions: sauria and dspdoc

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Hi guys,
here my two cents about cooling solution. I started to have some problem after display change. I bought for work a LG 34" ultrawide display with 3440x1440 resolution to replace my old 24" full hd display.
The "mini" manage it without problem (by DP at 50hz) even if officially it can't manage this resolution in technical spech. the only issue was the rising of the temperature. So i decided to start my intervention

This is a "work in progress" project.
Used materials for the first step:
- Mac mini 2012
- thermal paste Artic mx4

The original paste was dried an cracked, by the way, it has 8 years, so IMHO it's normal.
After replacement, immediately i found an improvement in termal management, but is still under pressure.

Second step:
remove the bottom cover and place the mini over a cheap cooling base for laptop (trust ziva).
Interesting results: during cinebench20, in both cases, it never throttle, but in standard configuration the internal fan runs at maximum speed (5500 rpm), and the temperature rise until 95-98°C.
Without bottom cover and the little wind, it was able to stay at 90 °C but with the fan at 4500-4800 rpm

WIth this good results, and seeing the "Speedo" professional solution, i decided to improve the fan power.

Third step, material used:
-USB fan of 140mm
-some rubber stoppers

View attachment 928309

View attachment 928310 View attachment 928314

I can't compare the results in cinebench 20 because now summer has come and in the room I have 29 °C (instead 20-22).
By the way, with this solution, I can hold the CPU at 47°C with web browsing (firefox), Whatsapp desktop, email (thunderbird). The fan stay at minimum rpm (1800).
fans control has been set to start at 65°c with a maximum target at 90° (CPU PECI)

View attachment 928316

Currently, I'm quite satisfied, but I still have the last step to improve: built a kind of "case" to hide the fan that looks like a base for mini. I'm also thinking about whether to include a small USB port hub and SD card reader in it so that they are available in front.

Stay tuned for the news.
Can you provide links for the parts you bought to make the fan setup?

undertaker1981

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2020
Can you provide links for the parts you bought to make the fan setup?

Sure: the fan is this one bought on amazon (italy... But I think that could be available world wide)

Thermal paste:

The other parts (rubber stoppers and feets) were junk that I had AT home.

yellowhelicopter

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2020
It seems like a nice solution... but, I find it kind of ridiculous that one has to invent cooling solutions for a device, main advantage points of which intended to be small size, quietness, and nice look on a table. It just shows inheriting design flaw of minis: inadequate inner space. I mean look at NUCs, they are much much better designed internally in terms of thermal management. They have small outer power supply, they have much more space inside, and better ventilation. That's why I eagerly wait for ARM minis.

undertaker1981

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2020
I'm partially in aree with you. It's a little non sense to create big fan base for little device. By the way, I don't want to judge the current mac mini, but talking about mine, the late 2012 i7 model, I decided to follow this way just to cool down it during idle and normale use in order to hold it as safest as possible for at least another couple of years. That need has come after display change with a 2k ultrawide that is pushing it under a havier workload.
About NUC, I don't think that is right to compare it with mac mini. As you said the power supply is external and it is a solution that I hate (on display too). I know that it allow to have more inner space and less warming elements in the case, but I don't like to have a big power supply on the floor under my Desk.
I'd like if apple could produce a kind of mac MIDI, maybe 2 times higher than the current mini but with better thermal management and a real gpu (at least a mobile version).
Have some ventilation hole in the bottom can already give a good help in thermal management.

Reactions: Boyd01

Mario Junior

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2020
Hi, i need a help. i have to put the fan under the mac mini by blowing the air in. Or should I use it as an exhaust fan (pulling the air out)? thanks for the help

tagumcity

macrumors regular
May 11, 2015
Tempe, Arizona
Hi, i need a help. i have to put the fan under the mac mini by blowing the air in. Or should I use it as an exhaust fan (pulling the air out)? thanks for the help
I'm using a 400mm Noctua fan directing air toward the Mac mini with the black cover removed. I do not have a dust problem. My macmini is cool to touch and the internals stay at 43 C.

Attachments

• 25BCD482-D2B8-41FD-8F86-6D3E848803CF.jpeg
    25BCD482-D2B8-41FD-8F86-6D3E848803CF.jpeg
    268 KB · Views: 273
  • 73F6B5B3-C758-4291-B414-CE38E860D39C-2.jpeg
    73F6B5B3-C758-4291-B414-CE38E860D39C-2.jpeg
    512.7 KB · Views: 288
  • FAA95987-3003-4885-9B58-E2D7CB127FE2-2.jpeg
    FAA95987-3003-4885-9B58-E2D7CB127FE2-2.jpeg
    407.3 KB · Views: 301

TomM1

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2017
I suppose one could argue either way. I recently switched from the Mini flat on top of the fan to placing the Mini on its edge with the fan beside it blowing away.

Last edited:

Colonelcg

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2020
During a HD upgrade on Mac Mini 2011, accidentally broke off the fan from the logic board (ugh). All I want to do is use the Mini as Plex server, with the files residing on an external. Has anyone tried to use only an external fan, with the bottom cover off, to cool the Mini? I don't want to sink a ton more money into this, but not sure if this will keep the mini cool enough to function.

Kaida

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2016
Singapore
I'm using a 400mm Noctua fan directing air toward the Mac mini with the black cover removed. I do not have a dust problem. My macmini is cool to touch and the internals stay at 43 C.

Your third pic, the air is drawn from the mini instead of blowing towards the mini.

Kaida

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2016
Singapore
During a HD upgrade on Mac Mini 2011, accidentally broke off the fan from the logic board (ugh). All I want to do is use the Mini as Plex server, with the files residing on an external. Has anyone tried to use only an external fan, with the bottom cover off, to cool the Mini? I don't want to sink a ton more money into this, but not sure if this will keep the mini cool enough to function.

Yes a big 120mm or 140mm fan outside is able to move more airflow than the small mac mini fan, so it should work better than the original fan with the plastic bottom off for 2011

Reactions: Colonelcg

verdantppc

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2019
IMG_0177.JPG
IMG_0178.JPG
IMG_0179.JPG
IMG_0175.JPG
My cooling solution for my mac mini (late 2014) 2.6GHz 16GB with split 121 GB SSD and 1 TB HDD, running Big Sur 11.2.2 from the SSD (manufactured second half of 2017), may be 'overkill' to some.

I have used a paired set of 120 mm 5V USB with (Off-Low-Med-High speed control) fans plugged into one of the USB ports:

AC Infinity MULTIFAN S7, Quiet Dual 120mm USB Fan (from Amazon)

having a fan on each side of the mac mini blowing towards the case. I have taken the plastic base off the mac mini and positioned the fan carefully to blow air into the case (i.e. offset from the centre of the bottom face), whereas the fan on the top face is centred on the Apple logo. See attached photos; Using TG Pro the max. temperature recorded in idling mode for CPU core 1 is 43°C and the average is 31°C (average for computer is 29°C) at a room tempertaure of 22°C with the AC Infinity fans running at Medium Speed.

To minimize dust entry into the case, I have placed a 120 mm square of cooker/hob extractor hood filter mat held in place by hanging from the top edge of the fan frame with Scotch Tape for easy removal for cleaning (when the fan is on it holds the filter mat in place close against the fan frame).

The fans are held in place on the case using nano gel tape pieces under the silcone rubber feet, which I have left in place on the fan outer frame-faces so that I can place the mac mini horizontally in either position depending on which position gives the better cooling temperatures.

To help channel the air only through the perforated back-plate, I have sealed the edges of the fan against the case as the photos show to avoid air pressure losses throgh the open sides.

Also by placing the mac mini on its side due to space limitations using the following stand:

Newertech NuStand Alloy for Mac Mini (from Amazon)

also helps with cooling by giving the fans 'easy access' to air.

The ball-bearing fans are quiet-running at medium speed and obviously quieter at low speed, and being 120 mm they still move good volumes even at low speed, maintaining good cooling with the same ide temperatures at the low speed setting as posted for the medium speed setting......with the case fan running at its minimum 1799/1800 rrpm......:)

I hope this simple solution gives anyone with mac mini cooling problems some ideas....... :)
IMG_0176.JPG
Mac Mini Idle Temperatures.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Cape Dave

verdantppc

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2019
I think that I'd just buy an M1 instead.
I am waiting for the Mac Mini M1 v2.......as I choose not be an 'early adopter'.....also my solution may help anyone not in a position to buy an M1, or wishing to keep their current mac mini, or thinking of buying a second-user Intel mac mini....

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I am waiting for the Mac Mini M1 v2.......as I choose not be an 'early adopter'.....also my solution may help anyone not in a position to buy an M1, or wishing to keep their current mac mini, or thinking of buying a second-user Intel mac mini....

I've tried that solution before with AC fans on a MacBook Pro. It basically didn't cool enough and was quite noisy. 170 CFM gets pretty noisy.

Kaida

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2016
Singapore
anyone tried to convert the antennae to something less obstructive?

I did, i used a faulty 2012 case to house the 2014 mini and transferred the antenna over.
WhatsApp Image 2021-04-24 at 08.58.30.jpeg

On another 2014, i took out the bottom plate completely and used 1 and 3 with the internal antenna. The bottom plate is for 5ghz antenna. 2 is for bluetooth which i don't use on that machine.

Reactions: Ploki and sauria

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
I went for a simple cooling solution for my late 2012 Core i5 16gb RAM. 480gb. Internal Sandisk Ultra 3D SSD.

Mac Mini Cool with ext FAN.JPG

In my Mac Mini the case is a virtual heatsink. heat builds up internally & is absorbed by the case which is theoretically cooled by the internal fan but . . . where does this heat go ?

Cooling the exterior of the Mac Mini case will undoubtedly yield cooler operational temps but I wanted more.

I removed the large, bottom rubber grommet.

Purchased a very cheap ( ¥1,000 ) and small external PC fan ( externally powered ).

Situated the Mac Mini vertically. Located the PC fan as you can see in the enclosed pic.

Right now = 2 am
iStat Menus Vers. 15. Ambient temp is 22°C Mac Mini CPU Die = 37°C

I blow out any internally accumulated dust in the Mac Mini about every 4 weeks.

I reside in Japan, Summer here often gets up to 40°C. From May 1st, daily outside temps gradually increase to peaks in mid-September.

I feel confident that my Mac Mini will operate well within my specified operational temps this summer.

Note : I spent quite a lot of time learning how to cool my 4,1>5,1 Mac Pro and have
employed that experience to my Mac Mini.

Goofit

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2021
I have the SVALT S Mini, only received a few days ago:
While not a cheap solution, the quality, looks, & performance are fantastic, my 2018 Mini is now running super cool. View attachment 892756 View attachment 892757
So a quick update from me.

Good news is I have received the cooling device from SPEED Designs.

It's pretty obvious from the packaging that it is a low volume product, but it seems to be well made.

It does fit the Mini like a glove. Which is excellent. I'm less impressed by how loud the fan is, it is a much smaller fan than I expected they fitted an 80mm fan though I honestly can't see why it couldn't have been a 120mm fan, potentially moving at a lower speed and thus being quieter.

I did expect this, but the fan speed is not controllable... so I think there might be some scope to hack this and at the same time upgrading the Delta fan it comes installed with with a Noctua and a variable speed controller thus allowing me to better control the speed. I'm also thinking of getting a mesh that catches some of the dust that I'm now no doubt pumping through the case as well.

The actual aluminium base is very well made, and other than the smaller than expected opening is pretty much perfect. My mini sits on it and rests perfectly the exhaust design is also very good. They did get a lot of this right, and I don't see anyone else making anything close to similar, so well done for trying something different.

Now the part you are all waiting for - I think - how well does it work?

Honestly? Hard to tell.

One thing that is immediately noticeable is with this switched on, my Mac Mini case is cold to touch. Usually it is warm, with this, nope. Obviously there is going to be better airflow regardless given that the bottom plate is no longer on it. I can't see any real impact on network speed which is good - but then again I've found this mini to be unpredictable at best when it comes to that.

I'll do some more testing soon, and I will, as I mentioned be filming a video review too. On that note @F-Train, I'm starting a new channel as my other content wouldn't work well mixed in with reviews, so you'll be able to find me at Hamer Reviews - I'll post the link once it's up.

If anyone has any questions, post them here and I'll answer them as best as I can.
I settled on the Mac mini cooling base made by SPEED Designs, for my Mac mini 2012 and a 2018. Luckily I choose a model that will also get the new macOS 10.15, anyways, I got my Mac mini used on eBay. It worked fine, but both its chassis got hot. The cooling base worked very well, kept the computer temps at a reasonable 80 some degrees celsius when on load, and I am currently happy with it on my primary Mac mini (2018).

Looks like there are 2 options without dealing DIY:
Svalt Cooling Base: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...of-cooling-stands-and-docks-for-macs.2220763/
SPEED Designs: https://www.speed-designs.com/speed-mac-mini-cooling-base

How do you think which of this 2 cooling bases performs better?

Reactions: dabotsonline

dabotsonline

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2014
Looks like there are 2 options without dealing DIY:
Svalt Cooling Base: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...of-cooling-stands-and-docks-for-macs.2220763/
SPEED Designs: https://www.speed-designs.com/speed-mac-mini-cooling-base

How do you think which of this 2 cooling bases performs better?

There are no dimensions published for the SDS0001 SPEED Mini but, looking at the photos, it appears that the feet are around the same height at the Mac Mini itself - 3.6 cm (1.4 inches) - and the plate around half that - 1.8 cm (0.7 inches) - so around 5.4 cm (2.1 inches) in total.

For the SVALT Cooling Stand S Mini or S Mini + Pro, https://svalt.com/blogs/svalt/compare states:

Svalt said:
Design creates 2.5 inches of open space below the fan... Typical cooling devices provide little to no open space below fans, which stalls out the fan resulting in reduced performance and increased noise.

Therefore, what about mounting the SDS001 upside down in the open space of the S Mini / S Mini + Pro?

Last edited:
Reactions: sauria and Goofit

Krimson8

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2020
These 98 C temps are good enough for a couple of years while apple’s warranTy is still active, after that I don’t care what anybody says, 98 C temp on today‘s processor is not good and will definitely shorten its lifetime .

Have you ever wondered why Apple didn’t make a slightly taller case “slightly” for the mini and incorporate a fan as wide as the case ? A fan placed right underneath for perfect cooling temps never exceeding 50 C even on heavy loads …..you know why they didn’t do it ? ..cause they would last for ever.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
These 98 C temps are good enough for a couple of years while apple’s warranTy is still active, after that I don’t care what anybody says, 98 C temp on today‘s processor is not good and will definitely shorten its lifetime .

Have you ever wondered why Apple didn’t make a slightly taller case “slightly” for the mini and incorporate a fan as wide as the case ? A fan placed right underneath for perfect cooling temps never exceeding 50 C even on heavy loads …..you know why they didn’t do it ? ..cause they would last for ever.

You could always just upgrade to an ice cold M1 mini.

My wife has the 2018 and the temps seem fine on it but she is a very light user.

Reactions: sauria
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.