Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
One thing I missed before is that all the other CPU's above the stock 3.5/8c have Turbo Boost up to 4.4GHz, which is faster than the 3.5/8c Turbo boost of 4.0Ghz.

Also RAM speed increases from 2666MHz to 2933MHz.

Lou

Last edited:

Auggie

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2017
It's a Quality Sample (QS) version, pre-production.

There are a ton of them on the secondary market, hundreds of dollars cheaper than a production version. The question on many of our minds is, will this be stable enough or cause issues with the 7,1...?

Kenneth B. Done

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2022
I swapped my stock 12 core for a used retail 24 core W-3265M that i bought on eBay for around 1000 euros. It took three attempts to get it right because i did have the amber light flashing on boot. Thanks to this topic and the service manual i learned a lot. So thank you to everyone contributing here since there's no step by step Youtube tutorial on this. What worked for me is cleaning the new CPU's contacts with alcohol and very carefully tightening the two bolts, counting the rotations to get it seated properly. This is critical. After that it was plug and play. I'm on Monterey 12.2.1 and now enjoying a significant speed bump in Final Cut Pro.

mcmon

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2021
I swapped my stock 12 core for a used retail 24 core W-3265M that i bought on eBay for around 1000 euros. It took three attempts to get it right because i did have the amber light flashing on boot. Thanks to this topic and the service manual i learned a lot. So thank you to everyone contributing here since there's no step by step Youtube tutorial on this. What worked for me is cleaning the new CPU's contacts with alcohol and very carefully tightening the two bolts, counting the rotations to get it seated properly. This is critical. After that it was plug and play. I'm on Monterey 12.2.1 and now enjoying a significant speed bump in Final Cut Pro.
Congratulations it makes a significant difference to performance. Confirming I also successfully replaced my stock 8 core with a 28 core CPU. I wish I had the manual at the time! Thankfully it took 2 attempts, the issue being the tightening of the screws. It’s pretty easy to do though and well worth it if you want a rocket ship!

Nev009

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2016
What are the odds that the Xeon W-3300 will work in the MacPro7,1? It's supposed to be in the new MacPro.

sirio76

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2013
So you work at Apple and you already know that AS MP won’t have PCIe slot, interesting....
My guess, no more Intel, and next MP will support internal expansion, let’s wait and see.

Reactions: chfilm

rondocap

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
After almost a year of doing the 28 Core W3275m upgrade to 2 Mac Pros, both have worked flawlessly and have had no issues or gremlins at all - which is a good thing since it was so much cheaper than getting that option directly from Apple.

That's one of the great things about the Mac Pro - upgradability. Hopefully the AS version maintains some aspects of that...

Ashok.Vardhan

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2017
Visakhapatnam, India
7.1 will not die as fast as people think… most of the professionals need PCIe Slots which the AS MacPro won’t have
I completely agree, said the same thing in a different thread elsewhere. People gushing over the specs of the new MacStudio really underestimate the expandability of PCI-e slots the 7,1 and even the 5,1 have, especially when it comes to HBA cards (ATTO, High-Point, Areca) to expand storage solutions based off large multiple RAID arrays of HDD or SSDs. Thunderbolt 3/4 might boast high speeds, but reliability and sustained read/writes perhaps not as much.

I am still using the MacPro 5,1 primarily because of how easy it is to expand storage solutions through internal PCI-e slots based HBAs.

Agreed memory/processor bus speeds are frozen for many years, however, once invested in a lot of internal and external solutions, professional small/mid studio users will not reinvest for probably another 5-8 years depending on their profit margins and investments.

Reactions: ZombiePhysicist

Tala

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2021
After almost a year of doing the 28 Core W3275m upgrade to 2 Mac Pros, both have worked flawlessly and have had no issues or gremlins at all - which is a good thing since it was so much cheaper than getting that option directly from Apple.

That's one of the great things about the Mac Pro - upgradability. Hopefully the AS version maintains some aspects of that...
Hi rondocap!
Im considering to upgrade my MacPro from 16 cores to the 24 or the 28 cores, you can get those processors around 1000$ these days.
What would you say?
Im working mainly on after effects, and very seldom on Cinema4d.
After effects support multiple cores for rendering, but nut sure if the lower speed clock will make it react slower.

The other option is to get an M1 Ultra but that's 4x the price of the upgrade...
Any suggestions?
Thanks

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Hi rondocap!
Im considering to upgrade my MacPro from 16 cores to the 24 or the 28 cores, you can get those processors around 1000$ these days.
What would you say?
After effects support multiple cores for rendering, but nut sure if the lower speed clock will make it react slower.

The other option is to get an M1 Ultra but that's 4x the price of the upgrade...
Any suggestions?
Thanks
I'm in the same boat, so curious about answers. I tested the mac studio m1 ultra vs my 16 core and it BLEW it out of the water in after effects. A comp that took 5 minutes on my mac pro rendered in 3 minutes on the mac studio. I doubt that a 28 core could beat that. The m1 version of after effects is just so well optimized.. on the other hand..it might just be on par for final render.

cobra521

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2016
FL
Hi rondocap!
What would you say?

Any suggestions?
Thanks
Tala,

Be aware: the $1000US CPUs seem to all be "QS" models. The tray models still seem to be $@2300US or so. There is a reason. If you search this site you'll find that the QS versions put into the 7,1 Mac Pro sometime have problems.

Just so you have some idea of what the downside might be,

Tom

Tala

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2021
I'm in the same boat, so curious about answers. I tested the mac studio m1 ultra vs my 16 core and it BLEW it out of the water in after effects. A comp that took 5 minutes on my mac pro rendered in 3 minutes on the mac studio. I doubt that a 28 core could beat that. The m1 version of after effects is just so well optimized.. on the other hand..it might just be on par for final render.
Oh man, thanks for writing!
Did you have any bugs using the Ultra in after effects?
Any plugins that doesn't work?

I bought the MacPro for its stability and to be able to upgrade along the way.
Now im not sure, maybe it would be better to get a Mac studio or wait to the new MacPro...

I was thinking if I upgrade to the 28 cores maybe it could give me another year or two with the MacPro, and than buy the 2nd generation Mac Studio...
I really like the ease of having more storage when I need it, but its hard to resist the speed of the M1 processors.

Tala

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2021
Tala,

Be aware: the $1000US CPUs seem to all be "QS" models. The tray models still seem to be $@2300US or so. There is a reason. If you search this site you'll find that the QS versions put into the 7,1 Mac Pro sometime have problems.

Tom
Thanks Tom,
I didn't know anything about it, what is "QS"?
I will search for it

LeonPro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
As of AE 2022, Adobe now supports multi-frame rendering which supposedly should effectively utilize multi-core CPUs. As for the number of cores it can "effectively" use with this latest version, I have yet to find a test.

In any case, I have no issues with Adobe CC apps including Premiere Pro and AE. I use 4K timeline / Comp settings. Of course, that depends on the number of layers and effects which will vary per user workflow. If you find your setup is choking, then a multi-core CPU may help.

Personally, I would rather upgrade on RAM and GPU at this point where the 7,1 has aged. This is the reason why I chose a 16-core which is right in the middle of speed and cores as the CPU is the only thing I don't plan on tinkering with.

I would suggest just waiting for the new Mac Pro or getting a Mac Studio.

blackquartz

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2009
Tala,

Tom
Ive been debating over the last months if should go for a QS 28 or a retail 24 , im not sure what the downsides of the QS could be, been asking around and most people seem happy with their cheap qs xeon processor. Could you please elaborate your opinion, I would really appreciate that.

Reactions: Tala

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Tala & blackquartz "QS" or "ES" Intel CPUs are Engineering or Quality samples. There are many posts on this and other forums outlining the hazards of using such units. I would be vary wary of trusting them.

Loi

Reactions: Tala

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Ive been debating over the last months if should go for a QS 28 or a retail 24 , im not sure what the downsides of the QS could be, been asking around and most people seem happy with their cheap qs xeon processor. Could you please elaborate your opinion, I would really appreciate that.

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
I'm going with the 3.2ghz 16 core but I'd looked at some of those QS CPUs, I will stay clear of them after seeing the above.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.