Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackquartz

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2009
Thank you all for your comments, I understand this subject is somewhat controversial but Ive been looking for some one who has posted any bad or negative QS Xeon experience and I just cant find any, posted here or in any other forums.

cobra521

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2016
FL
black,

Not conclusive but a very suspicious example: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ng-light.2339805/?post=31008736#post-31008736

Drop down a couple of posts from that one for a bit more.

There are many others. Not very many of the problems can be proved to be directly caused by the QS CPU, because the user might need a level of skill and equipment that most of us don't have.

I wouldn't take the chance. Maybe you feel luckier?

Tom

Reactions: blackquartz

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Oh man, thanks for writing!
Did you have any bugs using the Ultra in after effects?
Any plugins that doesn't work?

I bought the MacPro for its stability and to be able to upgrade along the way.
Now im not sure, maybe it would be better to get a Mac studio or wait to the new MacPro...

I was thinking if I upgrade to the 28 cores maybe it could give me another year or two with the MacPro, and than buy the 2nd generation Mac Studio...
I really like the ease of having more storage when I need it, but its hard to resist the speed of the M1 processors.
No, I didnt notice any bugs.. just a few plugins that weren't updated for M1 yet. But mostly stuff that I don't use anyways.. luckily VC just pushed out M1 updated recently for all their stuff. I so feel you.. I'm absolutely in the same boat. It's frustrating for our kind of work that yes, while you can upgrade the GPUs (and I feel you'll still be able to put even the next gen inside it) it's completely useless for after effects.. And even for video, I mean sure it helps with noise reduction and r3d playback in Resolve, but not with hevc decoding. And on the CPU side we're kinda stuck. Then again, the 28 core sure will provide a noticeable upgrade for final rendering times in after effects... arhhhhhh!
And yes, I also put the Sonnet 4x4 raid card with 8tb of nvme storage inside, and it's so convenient!

I'll just wait and see what a new mac pro looks like. But If it provides again double the multicore performance of the mac studio, no 28 core mac pro will be able to compete for after effects anywhere near!

The big question is about price, upgradability of storage and sdi cards, and the raw gpu power- as that is where the mac studio is lacking right now. It's definitely behind my mac pro with dual Vega IIs for r3d playback for example.

Reactions: Tala

Matty_TypeR

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2016
UK
I Upgraded my Mac Pro 7.1 I purchased, from a base 8 core with 4TB apple drive and 580X to 16 core M CPU that I purchased from china, it wasn't a engineering sample chip I was pleased to say when it arrived. Simple enough to upgrade and used thermal grizzly Tim. it seems to be cooler than the 8 core so far.

The 16 core was the sweet spot for me and it performs really well. Just waiting for the gigabyte 6900xt to turn up and I can put the VII back in my Mac Pro 5.1. NVRAM reset works fine, no issues at all.

Screenshot 2022-06-13 at 11.44.53.png

Screenshot 2022-06-13 at 12.17.56.png

Last edited:

RPG97

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2015
California, USA
Recently completed my CPU upgrade from the 8-core Intel Xeon W-3223 to the 12 core W-3235. Purchased on eBay for $400, a far cry from when I bought my machine new in 2020 lol. With new AS5 thermal paste it idles in the 30s and maxes out at about 85C under Cinebench R23, with an expected 30% increase in performance. This machine should carry me for many years now!

316943787_5691885384210137_5508325570605239314_n.jpg
C7A0E603-9091-42B7-97C3-BBC1D27ACEAB.jpeg

Last edited:

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^Good Job - But, you may want to obliterate your Serial Number - Not wise to expose it.

Lou

Reactions: RPG97

Yzord

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2010
I am running for almost 2 years now a 28core QS Xeon in my 7,1 MP and i have none issues related to the cpu so far. And i am really stressing out my MP 24/7/365. It is rock solid stable and my MP stays on for months with Adobe packages open, 80-90 browser tabs open, playing movies, editing movies and whatever i'm doing in between.

I can recommend the 28c QS Xeon version to anyone, because i did a lot of upgrades for others last year and none of them complained about any issues with the QS cpu.

Reactions: prefuse07

Matty_TypeR

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2016
UK
I am running for almost 2 years now a 28core QS Xeon in my 7,1 MP and i have none issues related to the cpu so far. And i am really stressing out my MP 24/7/365. It is rock solid stable and my MP stays on for months with Adobe packages open, 80-90 browser tabs open, playing movies, editing movies and whatever i'm doing in between.

I can recommend the 28c QS Xeon version to anyone, because i did a lot of upgrades for others last year and none of them complained about any issues with the QS cpu.
Its good your's works perfect, and run's smooth ect, but others dont have the same experience with QS cpu's. I was in the same situation when i upgraded my 8 core to 16 core and went with the W-3245M genuine CPU after reading some peoples experiences with QS samples. Its great if they work, but when they dont its a pain to remove and send back ect for refunds when you want to use the machine hassle free.

Reactions: prefuse07

eflx

macrumors regular
May 14, 2020
Are there any other compatible Xeon's available other than the ones Apple supplies? It's getting harder to find the W-3x chips that aren't some junky QS sample or an engineering sample, but easy to buy the newer "Xeon Gold" etc. Is the only real requirement meeting the 64lane PCIe bus width of the W-3x chips or are the CPU's needing to match a list of CPU's Apple allows as well?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Are there any other compatible Xeon's available other than the ones Apple supplies? It's getting harder to find the W-3x chips that aren't some junky QS sample or an engineering sample, but easy to buy the newer "Xeon Gold" etc. Is the only real requirement meeting the 64lane PCIe bus width of the W-3x chips or are the CPU's needing to match a list of CPU's Apple allows as well?

You can install anything from the same socket, some even boot fine the first time, but only W3xxx Xeons are supported and work - this was tested by multiple people.

only_macs

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2023
Interestingly , Apple has stated in their promo materials that the CPU socket will provide over 300 Watts of juice . That is just awesomely a lot and makes for some really seriously high end single processor configurations . This is the thing I love about Apple - the over-engineering and over-manufacturing of their top of the line computers .

For instance , no silicon Apple shipped with these machines uses a rated TDP of more than 205 W . On the PC side we'd need to worry Intel's printed specs are too conservative . Historically with the Mac Pros , our Xeons actually consume less juice than the printed specs when placed at full load . I suspect Apple must be under-volting them .

Here's a chart of the W series and the U suffix series Xeons . These are strict single processor system silicon . My 24 Core 6212U that I used in the upgrade absolutely sips power even at load :

View attachment 884136

Now for the bad news and I hate to rain on your parade .

The W-3175X , while consuming 255 W , has the wrong core stepping ( H0 ) . It doesn't match the steppings ( B1 ) of the Xeons Apple ships with the MP 7,1 . My 6212U also has B1 stepping , so I knew there was a reasonably good chance of compatibility . The thing I worried about was intel's marketing of their silicon . Would my Gold 6212U really be in the same subfamily of processors as the W series ? It seems it is .

Unless Apple really felt generous and plans future compatibility with this version , the W-3175X won't work .

Hi SnowTiger, have you managed to install a 6212U CPU? Have you tried other Xeon Gold CPUS? Also have you tried using Intel Optane LRDimms?

Szaby

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2023
Hey Guys

I just recently installed a new 16 core CPU, to my Mac Pro. Unfortunately it won’t boot, and a single amber light came up on tha mac. No power to keyboard/mouse.

Switched back to old one still can’t boot.

Any chance someone could help me out please?

genzai

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2011
Hey Guys

I just recently installed a new 16 core CPU, to my Mac Pro. Unfortunately it won’t boot, and a single amber light came up on tha mac. No power to keyboard/mouse.

Switched back to old one still can’t boot.

Any chance someone could help me out please?
Sound like you messed up and will have to send that machine into apple for repair- likely a full board replacement $$$

cobra521

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2016
FL
Szaby,

I had a tense time doing my CPU replacement. Problems resulted from not properly tightening the heat exchanger (cooler) on top of the chip. It can be touchy.

I'd recommend reinstalling the chip. Clean the surfaces very carefully and tighten the screws evenly to the proper number of turns. Mine turned out to need a little bit more torque than I first applied. Don't overdo it! Somewhere (can't recall where but possibly in this thread?) there's a nominal number of turns mentioned for the screws.

Once I got the screws tightened properly it has been running for about a year just fine.

Hope this helps,

Tom

Szaby

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2023
Szaby,

I had a tense time doing my CPU replacement. Problems resulted from not properly tightening the heat exchanger (cooler) on top of the chip. It can be touchy.

I'd recommend reinstalling the chip. Clean the surfaces very carefully and tighten the screws evenly to the proper number of turns. Mine turned out to need a little bit more torque than I first applied. Don't overdo it! Somewhere (can't recall where but possibly in this thread?) there's a nominal number of turns mentioned for the screws.

Once I got the screws tightened properly it has been running for about a year just fine.

Hope this helps,

Tom
Hey Tom!

Thanks for helping me, I just did what you recommended, and I managed to stop the amber lighting, however I still can't boot the mac (also installed back the factory cpu :/ ). And it also don't let me to restore from another mac. Maybe you have any idea what could I. try?

Greatly appreciate your help.

Best

Sz

Szaby

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2023
Sz,

Did you try this: https://support.apple.com/guide/app...r-restore-an-intel-based-mac-apdebea5be51/mac

I used it when I replaced my boot SSD in my 7,1 with a larger one, and it worked OK. Not sure why you would need it for a CPU replacement (I didn't need it at that time) but without knowing whether anything else was changed I can't guess.

Tom
Hey Tom,

I tried everything that listed on that page, even revive restore, unfortunately the mac was not responsive, it switchet to recovery mode (so the 3 orange flash light) but after that it switched back to padlock mode, it failed on step 4. Tried it several times. So no idea sadly :/

Thanks for you help anyways!

Best

Szaby

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2023
My case is a bit different, because I don't see the recovery app at all, my mac does not give signal, and also does not give power to my keyboad/mouse etc... So I cant do that sadly.

My case is similar kinda to this: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/mac-probably-dead-apple-configurator-leads-to-padlock.2293187/

Only the apple configurator app sees my mac as in DFU. Which a restore leads to a padlock in the Apple Configurator Menu.

I think I probably just bend the pins, and the motherboad is faulty now :/

cobra521

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2016
FL
Sz,

Uh-oh. Doesn't sound good.

One other thing I didn't mention is using a wired keyboard and mouse. The wireless mouse and keyboard wasn't recognized, probably because the boot sequence didn't quite get that far.

I was able to enter the password or the required key combination using the wired keyboard when I was unable to do that wirelessly.

Just one more thing to try unless you already have.

Tom

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.