Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphonehype

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 14, 2012
Just be careful, we all know how delicate this device is. Dropped it flat down on the back and boom!

I’ve never had a cracked iPhone before including the 7 that was so solid. The iPhone 4 cracked at the back but easy to replace.

Be careful guys, no Apple care, now going to spend £550 GBP, on a replacement device from Apple because the back can’t be replaced

#WellDoneMe

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Just be careful, we all know how delicate this device is. Dropped it flat down on the back and boom!

I’ve never had a cracked iPhone before including the 7 that was so solid. The iPhone 4 cracked at the back but easy to replace.

Be careful guys, no Apple care, now going to spend £550 GBP, on a replacement device from Apple because the back can’t be replaced

#WellDoneMe

I think it's the downside with any phone constructed of glass. It Really comes down to how the iPhone lands on an angle and overall impact. But with the iPhone X, either AppleCare or reliable case would be something I would consider. Even though I am one that doesn't prefer cases.

Reactions: DeepIn2U and mantan

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Bummers, but yeah, that's what happens when apple uses glass. I recommend a case and a screen protector, once you get your phone fixed/replaced :(

Reactions: DeepIn2U

sk8mash

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2007
England
If I was you I would put a case on it and wait for Apple to come out with a more reasonable price for back glass replacement. After all, once you have a case on it doesn’t matter if the back is cracked or not...

Coming from someone who is also taking the no case no Apple care gamble...

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Ouch! What a very expensive lesson but thank you for taking the time to warn other people who may otherwise take the gamble and lose as you did.

I recently dropped mine off of my nightstand. Technically, it slid off as I was reaching for it. I own an otterbox Defender for it but tended until that incident to keep cases off inside the house. Luckily my X still had the tempered glass back protector on at the time as well as a tempered glass front display protector and my rubber flip flop was there to catch the iPhone. And there was also carpeting. So that all helped improve my X’s odds in that accident. (I had also purchased Apple Care Plus in case of such an event).

I took the back glass protector off because it adds too much weight and thickness when I use a case. I now just keep the Otterbox on at all times. I really like the Defender. It gives me a great grip on the phone and prevented several ugly drops in the last three days alone. There are kids and a large rambunctious dog around me a lot and they are always jostling me and causing near misses.

I also like that it does not require me to pry the phone out of the case when I want to take it out. My Apple leather folio case makes me nervous because a few times I thought I’d bend the phone to a bad point when trying to pry it out of the case. I prefer for the case to come apart in pieces and not my expensive iPhone!

I do still take my iPhone out when I’m sitting on the bed and not risking a drop. I look at it and admire it awhile and make some calls on it without the case. It is like new, still. So it’s not as though I deprive myself of the enjoyment of its caseless form. I’m just more selective where I enjoy it thus.

Reactions: SwiftcastFlare

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA

#WellDoneMe

I'm guessing it was not in a case? I'm not saying that to judge... just curious. It's a shame these things are so fragile... I think the iPhone X could be just as stylish/attractive without the glass back. I'm planning to wrap mine in a case anyway.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
If I was you I would put a case on it and wait for Apple to come out with a more reasonable price for back glass replacement. After all, once you have a case on it doesn’t matter if the back is cracked or not...

I’m trying recall the last time Apple lowered the price of a repair service.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Step number 1, purchase phone

Step number 2, put screen protector on it

Step 3, put a case on it.

Good to go ;)
Step number 1, purchase phone

Step number 2, be careful with phone

Good to go

Because using a case shouldn't be a subsitute for being careful despite the fact a case lets you think you don't have to be.

Hertz77

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2015
Have you double checked you’re not covered on any insurance maybe bank or home insurance?

macMD

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2005
New York
But it is the strongest glass used on any smartphone to date. If that was true then why is the cost to repair the glass so expensive!

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

That could be a really, really, really long wait.

sk8mash

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2007
England
I’m trying recall the last time Apple lowered the price of a repair service.
Thinking back to the iPhone 4, Apple didn’t have a service price for back glass replacement then introduced one for £29? Maybe I’m misremembering...

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Thinking back to the iPhone 4, Apple didn’t have a service price for back glass replacement then introduced one for £29? Maybe I’m misremembering...

I don't remember them dropping the price, but that feels like a long time ago. ;-) But here's the thing. Replacing the back on the X is lumped in with any other damage other than the display. Basically, they're pricing a cracked back as a totaled phone. On the 4, the back was literally just a piece of glass. I don't know what else goes with the glass back on the X - charging coils, ??? (Actually, I bet the iFixit teardown would tell us...) There's presumably some reason for the astronomical price for a cracked back, even compared to the 8 and 8 Plus.
[doublepost=1512945446][/doublepost]OK, back from iFixit.

Look at Step 22 in their teardown. I'm not saying that $550 is justified, but this is not just a glass panel, as it was on the iPhone 4/4S:

Unlike the iPhone 8's single piece rear panel, the camera bump overlaps the rear glass, and is meticulously welded to the metal frame beneath.

winxdon

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2016

#WellDoneMe

I would just put a skin/wrap on the back for now to prevent getting cut by the glass and use this phone naked, if the screen broke then get it replaced then.

It is already broken, might as well enjoy it in nude.

Costino1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2012
Happened to me. Fumbled mine out of my pocket when biking. Phone skidded 15 ft on concrete doing 12mph. Oh boy that sound of $1000 technology sliding over rock - will never forget. Luckily, just a small crack in the glass back in the corner. It slid and fell screen up. Zero damage to phone minus that small corner crack. Bought the brown apple leather case and forgot all about the crack. Love this case and I HATE cases.

Blondie&Dagwood

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2017
question!if the op try to buy apple care now that his iphone X cracked can he still do it?

Yes if he phones in to purchase it. They only run a remote diagnostic. However, they will ask him to confirm no physical damage. If he lies then that is fraud and completely unacceptable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.