Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ray6088

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2013
I’m just experiencing the hair cracked screen after a week usage with no drop

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Pics would definitely help. I'm going on day three of using my SE (with no case) and there are no hairline cracks that I see.

Reactions: HYPOKON2000

xboxer75010

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2006
Carrollton, TX
I had a friend that had a similar issue with an LG phone. After spending much time on the phone with support they refuse to cover damages. His Credit Card had purchase protection and ended up refunding him the cost to repair.

You might have better luck with Apple, they usually have better customer service, Good Luck!

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
The screen can get a crack without being dropped.

Did you have the phone in the same pocket as other objects like keys, coins etc.?

Was the phone in a small tight pocket that possibly experienced pressure from sitting down or bending over?

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
It's fairly easy to tell if it's a defect. Apple will cover it only if it is a solitary crack with absolutely no spidering or branching. A crack can happen from a screen defect but they are very uncommon

Reactions: tonybarnaby

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
It's fairly easy to tell if it's a defect. Apple will cover it only if it is a solitary crack with absolutely no spidering or branching. A crack can happen from a screen defect but they are very uncommon

Wouldn't Apple cover a crack no matter what if you had AppleCare? I think I'd be adding some monthly AppleCare quick, fast, and in a hurry in case Apple gave me any grief about repairing/replacing.

And that reminds me I need to get my AppleCare added on mine. ;-p

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Wouldn't Apple cover a crack no matter what if you had AppleCare? I think I'd be adding some monthly AppleCare quick, fast, and in a hurry in case Apple gave me any grief about repairing/replacing.
You mean commit fraud? Would you try to buy insurance for your home after it burned down? Sound unethical to me.. Applecare+ would cover this for sure but what you're talking about is questionable

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.

Apple Care+ covers the screen damage for $29 dollars, provided the damage is accidental. Manufacturing defect is 100% covered.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
If you mean commit fraud? Would you try to buy insurance for your home after it burned down? Sound unethical to me.. Applecare+ would cover this for sure but what you're talking about is questionable

Is it a true crack or a scratch? It would depend. I mean I personally would've had it added already - I usually do that within a day, but if I knew I had done zero damage to the phone, and it just randomly had a hairline crack (not likely), I might add it to protect myself.

But no, if I knew it was something I had done, I would absolutely NOT do that.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011

You mean commit fraud? Would you try to buy insurance for your home after it burned down? Sound unethical to me.. Applecare+ would cover this for sure but what you're talking about is questionable

If his phone passes the diagnostics test you have to run to add AppleCare late, then yeah this is a possible solution. OP is still within the time allotted to add AC so there is no fraud here.

Reactions: madrigal77

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
If his phone passes the diagnostics test you have to run to add AppleCare late, then yeah this is a possible solution. OP is still within the time allotted to add AC so there is no fraud here.
Your saying if it's not a defect and the customer cracked the screen somehow they should be able to add AppleCare+ so they don't have to pay full price for the screen repair even though they chose not to add AppleCare+ when they bought the phone to cover this type of accidental damage?

Reactions: TrickyTreeRed

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Your saying if it's not a defect and the customer cracked the screen somehow they should be able to add AppleCare+ so they don't have to pay full price for the screen repair even though they chose not to add AppleCare+ when they bought the phone to cover this type of accidental damage?

You do have a time period to add AppleCare - a lot of people probably don't do it on day 1, not because they don't intend to, but just because typically waiting a week or two isn't an issue.

I agree it's certainly a gray area, and I didn't mean what I said to be a "you know you caused the damage so hurry up and add AppleCare to screw Apple." I meant if I absolutely knew I did nothing that would cause it to crack, I might add it to protect myself in case they wouldn't own up to a possible defect. And I would likely have zero guilt about that.

I not only pay for AppleCare on upwards of 10 devices for myself, grandkids, etc., but I put those devices in protective cases with screen protectors the minute they come out of the box (with the exception of my SE so far because my screen glass hasn't arrived from Amazon). The ONE device I didn't have AppleCare on (but DID have protected) - the charging port got damaged and I had to replace the iPad. Never again.

But I certainly am not interested in trying to cheat Apple.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Is it a true crack or a scratch? It would depend. I mean I personally would've had it added already - I usually do that within a day, but if I knew I had done zero damage to the phone, and it just randomly had a hairline crack (not likely), I might add it to protect myself.

But no, if I knew it was something I had done, I would absolutely NOT do that.
Like I said screens can have a defect that causes a crack but it's easy to tell because the crack is a single line (your scratch description is very accurate) with absolutely no branching or spidering. It can traverse the entire display but it has to do so without causing other cracks that branch from the main one. This isn't my criteria but it's Apple's when they inspect the phone visually to decide if it's a defect or caused by accidental damage by the customer

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Like I said screens can have a defect that causes a crack but it's easy to tell because the crack is a single line (your scratch description is very accurate) with absolutely no branching or spidering. It can traverse the entire display but it has to do so without causing other cracks that branch from the main one. This isn't my criteria but it's Apple's when they inspect the phone visually to decide if it's a defect or caused by accidental damage by the customer

We have had cracks like that that were no accident too though. Well, maybe not on a phone. My grandson (he's on the autistic spectrum) stood on his iPad and popped the screen in two - perfect crack across the middle. I guess that couldn't really happen to a phone though.

I did get on my SE and add my AppleCare. I've had it since Tuesday and had been meaning to add it and forgotten - this reminded me to get it done!

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
We have had cracks like that that were no accident too though. Well, maybe not on a phone. My grandson (he's on the autistic spectrum) stood on his iPad and popped the screen in two - perfect crack across the middle. I guess that couldn't really happen to a phone though.
Don't get me wrong, I've read many of your posts and know you get AppleCare+ religiously so what happened to the OP wouldn't ever happen to you. It's hard to assess what the OP is talking about because he's posted no pictures which only leaves everyone speculating. Hopefully he can post some photos so at least everyone knows what he's talking about and end the mystery

Reactions: ssledoux

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
I’m just experiencing the hair cracked screen after a week usage with no drop

Apple will replace those for free if its a hairline crack

just return it and they’ll exchange

(Even without Apple Care Plus)

I had this happen with my iPhone 6 back in the day, and more recently with an iPhone X. It needs to be within limited warranty or Apple Care Plus warranty though, since this phone is new it will qualify

But you wont be charged. Just call, tell them its a hairline crack, they’ll replace it.

Reactions: AppleHaterLover

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
HAIRLINE CRACKS WITH NO SIGNS OF IMPACT ARE COVERED UNDER WARRANTY

No need to scare OP if you don’t know what you’re talking about. The only inconvenience is that you’ll need to send the phone back to Apple etc.

ray6088

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2013

Attachments

• D1C41C0A-7816-4912-A9EC-2021DD3BB52F.jpeg
    D1C41C0A-7816-4912-A9EC-2021DD3BB52F.jpeg
    81.8 KB · Views: 241
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.