Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
That looks more like a scratch rather than a crack.
You took those words out of my mouth. I thought exactly the same. Cracks tend to go off in a straighter line and deviate in a more uniform manner.
Looks like the phone has possibly come up against some keys or other hard object in a pocket or bag.
If it's of any consolation to the OP, my G4 Cube had and still has stress-relief cracks in the casing which was a known issue, which Apple never found a fix for. Add's to it's vintage charm........;)
As it's a brand new phone it will be interesting to hear back if Apple change this under warranty!

Reactions: akash.nu

sprague.rod

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2017
Looks like a scratch to me too. Honestly, maybe I'm a bit anal retentive but I've never been able to understand why anyone would fork out so much money for a device like an iPhone then take the risks they do with it. I saw a mother give her iPhone to her baby in a bank queue to keep it quiet, it promptly started chewing on it. I see people leave them on the edge of swimming pools, on the sand, on dashboards, on meal tables, you name it then they blame the device for being defective. I have a silicon case on my iPhone 7 and a glass screen protector but I have never damaged either.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Looks like a scratch to me too. Honestly, maybe I'm a bit anal retentive but I've never been able to understand why anyone would fork out so much money for a device like an iPhone then take the risks they do with it. I saw a mother give her iPhone to her baby in a bank queue to keep it quiet, it promptly started chewing on it. I see people leave them on the edge of swimming pools, on the sand, on dashboards, on meal tables, you name it then they blame the device for being defective. I have a silicon case on my iPhone 7 and a glass screen protector but I have never damaged either.

Keep in mind, look which website you’re visiting, it’s full of those who are overly retentive about their phones with Minuscule specs of dust, looking for scratches with A magnifying glass and flashlights, etc. Average consumers don’t care about their phones the way others do on here, simply because they see their phone as a ‘tool’, not a precious relic like some do on here.

We have to look at our tech devices like they are nothing more than Depreciating items, although expensive, they shouldn’t be treated like ‘It’s the end of the world type’ scenario because it might accrue a scratch.

It’s good to have ‘protection’ with cases/screen protectors, just don’t over obsess about a hairline scratch that isn’t going to make a difference in terms of resale value and/or performance with the device.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
Your saying if it's not a defect and the customer cracked the screen somehow they should be able to add AppleCare+ so they don't have to pay full price for the screen repair even though they chose not to add AppleCare+ when they bought the phone to cover this type of accidental damage?
They have 60 days to add AppleCare after purchasing. That is Apple's policy.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
They have 60 days to add AppleCare after purchasing. That is Apple's policy.
This is right from Apples legal page under what it doesn’t cover:

(h) to repair pre-existing conditions of the Covered Equipment if you purchased the Plan after you purchased the Covered Equipment;

Plus as you stated it has to pass a remote diagnostics test...

Last edited:

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
It’s good to have ‘protection’ with cases/screen protectors, just don’t over obsess about a hairline scratch that isn’t going to make a difference in terms of resale value and/or performance with the device.
A hairline crack could easily become bigger, just like a windshield crack that isn’t repaired. And it will 100% bring down the resale value if someone tries to sell a phone with a crack/ scratch on it.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
When phones used to have plastic backs, I used to go naked with them. Now, especially with these glass back expensive phones, I'll go case + screen protector on day 1.

I'm sure there will be people claiming they don't want a case or screen protector. Well, if you don't, then don't go crying if something happened. Glass is, well, glass.

Luckily some Android phones now include a pre-installed screen protector and a TPU case in the box. :D

Mattforthat

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2021

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-01-30 at 18.45.50 (3).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-01-30 at 18.45.50 (3).jpeg
    40.5 KB · Views: 60
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-01-30 at 18.45.50 (2).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-01-30 at 18.45.50 (2).jpeg
    68.8 KB · Views: 65

Matthew.H

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2015
Norwich, UK
Mattforthat why did you bump a thread from May last year? Your screen damage is clearly from some kind of impact.
A screen replacement for the 2020 SE from Apple is $129 + tax out of warranty. If you have Applecare+ it's a deductible of $29.

madrigal77

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2018
Your saying if it's not a defect and the customer cracked the screen somehow they should be able to add AppleCare+ so they don't have to pay full price for the screen repair even though they chose not to add AppleCare+ when they bought the phone to cover this type of accidental damage?
As long as he’s still within the time to add AppleCare, there’s nothing wrong at all with adding it after a break.

• Haha
Reactions: BugeyeSTI

Mattforthat

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2021
Mattforthat why did you bump a thread from May last year? Your screen damage is clearly from some kind of impact.
A screen replacement for the 2020 SE from Apple is $129 + tax out of warranty. If you have Applecare+ it's a deductible of $29.
Hei Matthew. Im sorry did just search some similar cases because my screen crakced with zero impact. I was 10 minutes before it happens still outside filming and when i took the phone out of my pocket at home the screen looked like this. The phone is 2.5 months old. Who knows if it is having issues with temperature issues since i am living in Finland and outside it was a minus 7 degrees. But definitely no impact.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Hei Matthew. Im sorry did just search some similar cases because my screen crakced with zero impact. I was 10 minutes before it happens still outside filming and when i took the phone out of my pocket at home the screen looked like this. The phone is 2.5 months old. Who knows if it is having issues with temperature issues since i am living in Finland and outside it was a minus 7 degrees. But definitely no impact.

-7°C is not a big deal. I was in Iceland last year around this time with my iPhone 11 Pro and had a lot of pictures and videos taken in the cold. It didn’t have ent side effects.

Six0Four

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2020
Ive seen this happen on laptops before since they have way larger screens but not on a 4.7" phone. Strange. Did you sit on it or something ?

ray6088

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2013
Don't understand why bumped up my post. My SE2 screen had been replaced under AppleCare and I'm using iPhone 12 mini now. It seems to be SE2 screen is more prolonged to scratch I think(my option, you don't have to agree) than Mini.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.