Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

msimplicity

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2008
#1 and it should be FREE

If we didn't charge, there would be no capital to improve the program and push out updates.

That said, please keep this thread on topic. Thank you for your opinion on the gui options. If there are any other concerns/questions, please send a PM or shoot us an email. Thanks.

ZachsMacDaddy

macrumors 6502
Dec 24, 2007
Maryland
#1, but I'll spend the extra time and use mobile Safari rather than pay for an app that does virtually the same thing (although faster).

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
Gotta go with #1 too - feels more like an Apple App than the other two (definitely do NOT use the one with the row of peace signs - ugh). But #3 isn't terrible, just not as interesting as #1.

I wish I actually used Craigslist more to justify paying for your app. I have no problem paying for apps that help me navigate a site I frequent regulary better (yes -- even if the original site is free).

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
#1 is the best by far.

Also, for those who use Craigslist a lot, this app is WELL worth the small price for it's ease of use. You're not paying to use Craigslist, you're paying for a cleaner and better experience.

Doju

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
Guys, stay on topic and stop being so cheap. :S

To put it nicely (as he won't, for obvious reasons), he doesn't care that you don't approve of the price, he wants your opinion on the interface.

tasset

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2007
I agree with, Rojo. #1, #3, and last #2.

I also bought this app, but just doesn't do enough for me FUNCTIONALLY to keep it as one of my installed apps sadly, as I search the CL site all the time..

Maybe invest in some server infrastructure to give your customers alerts, ala bejive ? Or beat the RSS apps to the punch when Apple gets the notification system up and running.

Macgic

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2007
you all are whiners.....they should be able to charge for their app. to help with the cost of time and labor put into the app.

I like the first as well.

TechJunky

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2008
The first one looks the best,...the peace signs look terrible.

And I know you're not asking for it, but just in case you value feedback; I agree that the app should be free. But lets be real, you are putting in time, and you do have to recoup SOME costs. But $3.00? No. The app does not hold $3 worth of value. The problem is the website is so basic, it functions fine on the phone. Loads quick, runs smooth. But even so, I would be willing to pay for a more refined, iphone specific app, IF it was reasonably priced. To me, $3 just seems greedy. It's not like its a lot of money, but its the principle.

Just my .02 :)

msimplicity

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2008
Thanks for your feedback everyone. GUI #1 it will remain :)

But even so, I would be willing to pay for a more refined, iphone specific app

We have been hard at work implementing all the functions that people are asking for in the app. Just a few examples: "my account" support, posting ability, gps support and favoriting individual listings. We plan to add push notifications once Apple adds that functionality.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
As they are I like #1

With changes I'd like #1 with the button characteristics and everything as they are but with the same color pattern as #3.

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
you all are whiners.....they should be able to charge for their app. to help with the cost of time and labor put into the app.

I like the first as well.

No one is saying they shouldn't be able to charge for the app. When someone solicits advice about an app, all bets are off.

That being said, the first one is clearly the cleanest and best-looking, in my estimation.

TechJunky

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2008
Instead of starting an entirely new thread, just 2 quick questions: Can you view pictures using this app? Can you see more than the most recent 100 listings? TIA

msimplicity

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2008
Instead of starting an entirely new thread, just 2 quick questions: Can you view pictures using this app? Can you see more than the most recent 100 listings? TIA

Yes you can view pictures. In the current version you can only see the 100 most recent listings, altho this is being changed in the next couple updates to allow for viewing additional pages (100 results per page).

msimplicity

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2008
When someone solicits advice about an app, all bets are off.

The purpose is to make sure we aren't trying to fix an interface that isn't broken without gathering user opinion, as our taste might be different than the general concensus. We had a few users suggest that the app could use a facelift but since it seems the majority of people prefer the way it currently looks, we're pulling that off of our to-do list.

Again, thank you everyone for your suggestions. For those sending us emails and posting in our forums with feature requests, we're working on implementing as many as possible. Thanks!

spamdumpster

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
No one is saying they shouldn't be able to charge for the app. When someone solicits advice about an app, all bets are off.

Why are all bets off? Can we insult his mother? Crikey, the guy asked for advice about the gui, can't we just give him advice about the gui.

If not enough people buy his app, he'll have to lower his price, or make it ad supported or something.

I like number 1, BTW.

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
Why are all bets off? Can we insult his mother? Crikey, the guy asked for advice about the gui, can't we just give him advice about the gui.

If not enough people buy his app, he'll have to lower his price, or make it ad supported or something.

I like number 1, BTW.

His mother has nothing to do with it. But when he wants people to take the time to give him free advice about his not-free app, then he should expect some people to complain about the cost.

Please also note that I'm not complaining about the cost, but taking exception to those who are being labeled "whiners" for giving their opinion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.