Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
Unless its an official craigslist app, i wont pay for it.

Agreed. Does Craig Newmark know about this project? It really bugs me to see people charging for apps that leech data from web sites that they have no affiliation with: Netflix, blockbuster rental managers, etc.

If you want to build an app and offer it for free, go right ahead. But if you are charging, please take the time to develop your own IP and stop leeching off of others.

spamdumpster

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
Agreed. Does Craig Newmark know about this project? It really bugs me to see people charging for apps that leech data from web sites that they have no affiliation with: Netflix, blockbuster rental managers, etc.

If you want to build an app and offer it for free, go right ahead. But if you are charging, please take the time to develop your own IP and stop leeching off of others.

Your position makes no sense. If you think that the developer of the app is stealing or "leeching off" of another's ip, than it shouldn't matter whether he charges for the app or not. You should think it's wrong either way. Do think that free torrent sites are ok, but that pay ones are not?

The fact that you think that his app is fine if free, but wrong if he charges for it reiterates that you're simply being cheap.

njpodder

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2007
The developers here are charging for the Interface they have created to browse a FREE website. If you think that it is easier to go browse it in Safari, then I do not understand why you care what they charge, you clearly aren't going to buy it anyway even if it was free. Unless, of course, you DO care, and would use it if it were free, in which case you are just being a whiner. In either case, there exists no reason whatsoever to post about the pricing at all.

ljmjag

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2005
I like this app and don't care about the cost. There are a lot of apps that replicate things that I might be able to do for free, but so what? I like the "Web Apps" app, which is a very convenient interface for bookmarking multiple convenient web app sites. It saves me from having to use up valuable home page web clips or two dozen bookmarks in safari. The new Game Gems app (which was free for about 30 seconds) is also convenient.

My problem with the craigsmobilelist app, is that it absolutely refuses to load the real estate home sales page for long island or new york regardless of whether I am using wifi, 3G or edge. It just hangs forever. That's my only problem with this app. It loads other sections of craigs without a problem but it absolutely hates real estate home sales.

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
We had a few users suggest that the app could use a facelift but since it seems the majority of people prefer the way it currently looks, we're pulling that off of our to-do list.

Well to be honest, the GUI could probably do with some minor tweaks. Of the 3 you showed, it's the most visually-appealing and Apple-like -- though it could maybe be a wee bit better. Now I'm talking MINOR tweaks, not a radical makeover. The things that bug me are the varying sizes, and more importantly the spacing between all the elements. There's an iconsistency all over the place -- and the other two designs are slightly better in that regard only. The good thing about the first design is that it has a lighter, airier feel and a nice use of some color. It also feels like there are input buttons that you need to interact with, while the other two look bland and flat in comparison.

So design tweaks are definitely something you should do eventually, but it's low-priority. If you have actual functional enhancements (rather than cosmetic enhancements) to work on, I would say concentrate on those elements first, and then do some design tweaks later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.