Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

msimplicity

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2008
Just wanted to let everyone know about the new update that was just released for CraigsMobileList. We have put in a lot of time and effort and truly taken user feedback into account.

We have many exciting things in the works for this application and are working hard to incorporate everyone's suggestions to make the app as useful as possible. This first update is just a single step in that process.

For those of you who already own the application, we would love to hear your suggestions on how we can improve on what we already have. For those of you who don't already own it, please give it a try if you think it would be of use to you.

Here is a direct link to the app (opens into iTunes):
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?mt=8&id=286574279

http://www.msimplicity.com

IMG_0013.png

cmlseries.jpg

Bearxor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
That is pretty sad. It's not like Craigslist is some huge bandwidth hog or anything.

msimplicity

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2008
Charging for a CraigsList browser? And more than $0.99? What a joke.

Dranakin,

I know that some people might wonder why we are charging for the application. Remember, we are not charging people to use craigslist, since you can do that for free in safari. What we are doing is providing a UI that makes it easier on the eyes, formats the site down for the iphone and also allows you to bookmark different searches and search terms that you might want to do on the road often with just a few taps rather than having to navigate the site or change search terms in safari. It has been an extremely costly and time consuming process to develop this app, as craigslist is such a huge site. We are also working on GPS integration that will let you search within X miles of wherever you happen to be standing (useful if you travel and aren't sure exactly what location you should use while out of town).

CraigsMobileList might not be for everybody, but we're dedicated to putting in the time and effort to making it as good as possible for craigslist fans and we hope that craigslist users find that it makes their life a little easier.

Digipimp

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2003
Texas
i dont see anything wrong with charging for the program. id say 99 cents or 1.99 makes more sense though since craigslist is a free site to browse but you are providing some better functionality. maybe you should consider an ad enabled free version with ads relevant to the items being searched for if possible even.

eplchamps0304

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2008
If the ebay app is free this should be. Just my opinion. Who uses craigslist that much anyway, that needs to pay for a dedicated app.

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
Now the pricing experts are even invading these forums as well as the reviews in the app store? :rolleyes: Just becasue you can access Craig's List for free in the browser doesn't mean this program should be free, now maybe that would be different if it was actually Craig's List that is developing this like eBay did with theirs as they get the revenue generated by it but I don't think that is the case so the development effort needs to be funded somehow.

For those that have a use for this app I'm sure they wouldn't mind paying the $2.99 for it, heck I usually pay twice that per Starbucks visit. Is the app for everyone? No it isn't, personally it isn't something I'd use as I don't use Craig's List but there must be those that do.

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
Well worth $2.99. Hell, I read Craigslist for the entertainment value alone. This is a great app since the upgrade.

One request... PLEASE allow us to search more then the latest 100 listings. Add the link at the bottom to "View next 100 listings" PLEASE, and it would be perfect!

sjjordan

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2003
United States
Well worth $2.99. Hell, I read Craigslist for the entertainment value alone. This is a great app since the upgrade.

One request... PLEASE allow us to search more then the latest 100 listings. Add the link at the bottom to "View next 100 listings" PLEASE, and it would be perfect!

Since the update just came out, I'd recommend a sale price of $0.99 for the first week or 2, followed by $2.99 after that. There are probably a lot of people who are going to be put off by the non-$0.99 price. I'm all for the developer(s) making lots of money: This is a great app!

pooryou

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2007
NorCal
Is the difference between .99, 1.99, or 2.99 even worth the time to post about?
God some of you people are cheap bastards...or pitifully poor :(

sjjordan

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2003
United States
Is the difference between .99, 1.99, or 2.99 even worth the time to post about?
God some of you people are cheap bastards...or pitifully poor :(

it's a psychological issue. Why do you think people pay thousands more for a toyota prius than a corolla, which gets almost the same mileage? Because they are careful about how they spend their money. They want to get the "best" gas mileage and will pay more up front for the hybrid, even though they'll never recoup that cost difference is mileage saved. It's psychological.

It's foolish to think that someone who spends $200 on a phone doesn't think twice about dropping $3 on a program. Most people will. People like free and iTunes has made $0.99 a familiar pricepoint. $2.99 is unfamiliar and people, who aren't used to seeing that, will react by thinking it's expensive, even though it's not.

WhySoSerious

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Dallas, TX
Remember, we are not charging people to use craigslist, since you can do that for free in safari.

It has been an extremely costly and time consuming process to develop this app, as craigslist is such a huge site. .

seems you already rationalized why NO ONE should pay for a craig's list app. i sure as hell won't.... *opens up safari to view it for FREE*

noisebleed

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
wanna know what I paid for?

Internet @ home
Internet on cell phone

Both places allows me to open up browsers and view craigslist for free ( which is meant to be )

this app is ********.

WhySoSerious

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Dallas, TX
Have you actually bought and used the app in order to justify calling the app *******?

I think you meant to say "This app is beyond my means."

why would he BUY the app when.......if you READ his post......he pays for internet on the phone which allows him access to craigs list via safari for free.

Rojo....read and interpret....read and interpret.....

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
I am a frequent user of CL (both as a buyer and a seller), and would probably check this out for $0.99, but I would never pay $2.99 for it no matter how good it is.

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
why would he BUY the app when.......if you READ his post......he pays for internet on the phone which allows him access to craigs list via safari for free.

I DID read his post. He's calling the app ******* (I think we all know what that's supposed to mean), and yet he hasn't bought it or used it. For all he knows, it could be the best Craigslist app ever invented. No, he's pissed off because the developer, who probably spent a lot of time and money (at least $99) on this app, wants to charge for it. Well noisebleed has every right to express his disappointment that the app is not free. He, and everyone else who feels the same, can show their displeasure by simply not buying the app. Perhaps the developer will feel inclined to drop the price later on. Perhaps he won't. I, for one, feel the dev has every right to charge SOMETHING for the app -- as it allows you to navigate Craigslist in a much easier fashion than simply using mobile Safari. But if you don't mind how impractical the Safari method is, or $3 is just way too much money for you, then simply don't buy the app.

But to call the app *******, when you've never actually used it? That's a bit much, don't you think? The sheer number of people expecting all apps to be given to them free is annoying enough, but typical (expected). But when they start calling apps ****** because they're not free, it's going way over the line....

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
wanna know what I paid for?

Internet @ home
Internet on cell phone

Both places allows me to open up browsers and view craigslist for free ( which is meant to be )

this app is ********.

Wanna know what else you're going to need to pay for? Glasses, when you **** up your eyes from squinting at those teeny tiny links in Safari. :D

noisebleed

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
I DID read his post. He's calling the app ******* (I think we all know what that's supposed to mean), and yet he hasn't bought it or used it. For all he knows, it could be the best Craigslist app ever invented. No, he's pissed off because the developer, who probably spent a lot of time and money (at least $99) on this app, wants to charge for it. Well noisebleed has every right to express his disappointment that the app is not free. He, and everyone else who feels the same, can show their displeasure by simply not buying the app. Perhaps the developer will feel inclined to drop the price later on. Perhaps he won't. I, for one, feel the dev has every right to charge SOMETHING for the app -- as it allows you to navigate Craigslist in a much easier fashion than simply using mobile Safari. But if you don't mind how impractical the Safari method is, or $3 is just way too much money for you, then simply don't buy the app.

But to call the app *******, when you've never actually used it? That's a bit much, don't you think? The sheer number of people expecting all apps to be given to them free is annoying enough, but typical (expected). But when they start calling apps ****** because they're not free, it's going way over the line....

shut up man, this app wasn't made by craig, the only way I'd pay for something like this is if craig made it, it's not about how much it costs, i can afford 200 of these apps...

stop assuming shyt you imbecile, the point is charging for free service is ridiculous, profiting off someone else's work is beyond my limits of tolerance... including you.

who says i never tried it? you might want to reconsider your judgmental views elsewhere... perhaps you need to get outside a while and notice there is more to life than forums.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.