Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fx1111

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2020
Birmingham, UK
Hi, I have too many problems with my main user account, and I want to migrate all my data + settings to a new user account and set it as admin and lastly remove the current account. Please help thanks.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
There's nothing difficult about this.
You do it in the "users & groups" preference pane.

Important:
BE SURE that when you click the "+" sign to create the new account, that you take a moment and select "administrative" from the popup menu. It's easy to forget that.

I would be careful about migrating all your settings "at once".
It might be one of them that's giving you problems with your current account.

Instead, take things a little at a time.

Also, you could run into permissions problems when migrating data files.
There are "tricks using the terminal" to get around this, but I've never tried using them.

I found the easiest way to eliminate permissions problems is to copy the files from one account to an EXTERNAL drive (could be a hard drive or USB flash drive).
Then, do a "get info" on the external drive (command-i).
Then, click the lock at the bottom, enter your (new account) password, and put a check into "ignore ownership on this volume".
Now, you can copy from the drive to the new account, and anything you copy will "fall under the ownership" of your NEW account.

fx1111

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2020
Birmingham, UK
There's nothing difficult about this.
You do it in the "users & groups" preference pane.

Important:
BE SURE that when you click the "+" sign to create the new account, that you take a moment and select "administrative" from the popup menu. It's easy to forget that.

I would be careful about migrating all your settings "at once".
It might be one of them that's giving you problems with your current account.

Instead, take things a little at a time.

Also, you could run into permissions problems when migrating data files.
There are "tricks using the terminal" to get around this, but I've never tried using them.

I found the easiest way to eliminate permissions problems is to copy the files from one account to an EXTERNAL drive (could be a hard drive or USB flash drive).
Then, do a "get info" on the external drive (command-i).
Then, click the lock at the bottom, enter your (new account) password, and put a check into "ignore ownership on this volume".
Now, you can copy from the drive to the new account, and anything you copy will "fall under the ownership" of your NEW account.
You're correct about the system settings problems I just erased everything from the mac drive and restored all my data using the time machine; however, one of the main issues I had is still there.

AppleSmack

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
You're correct about the system settings problems I just erased everything from the mac drive and restored all my data using the time machine; however, one of the main issues I had is still there.
If you could describe these issues, you might get some support in solving those, rather than reformatting/migrating accounts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.