Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rapmastac1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 5, 2006
In the Depths of the SLC!
So, any one extremely excited for Crossover? Sure not EVERY SINGLE WINDOWS APP will work, but still, now I can use my Adobe Photoshop I bought for windows on my Mac, Finally. This is so amazing, now I can truly have the best of both worlds, without emulation, or without having to buy a full copy of windows, again. Anyone know more about this, is there a beta that was out at all, if so, has anyone used it?

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
Rapmastac1 said:
So, any one extremely excited for Crossover? Sure not EVERY SINGLE WINDOWS APP will work, but still, now I can use my Adobe Photoshop I bought for windows on my Mac, Finally. This is so amazing, now I can truly have the best of both worlds, without emulation, or without having to buy a full copy of windows, again. Anyone know more about this, is there a beta that was out at all, if so, has anyone used it?
I am hoping there not just full of it when they say it will support games.... its the only use I have for windows.

thewhitehart

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2005
The town without George Bailey
Ooh... tell us more. This is the first I've heard of it. Is it like the often talked of idea of Darwine? Got any links about it?

It would be totally radical (yes, radical) to run windows apps without installing XP.

Rapmastac1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 5, 2006
Well, I was just informed today about an awesome program for Mac.
See, the reason we want to do a dual boot between OS/X and XP is so we can run our certain programs...
Well, thanks to a company called CodeWeavers, they have created a product that will prove dual booting is too much.

Basically, this program conviently called Crossover will let you use just about any application from windows, on a mac. This is awsesome, so I don't have to go out and buy a full retail copy of windows, and only be able to have it registered on my Mac, when I need it on my home pc too. Saves me a lot of disc space, more than 6gigs worth. Now, I can use this little app, and run my windows programs, without having to have a full windows partition. This is not an emulation, as in it will go as fast, or faster then it will on a Windows Machine, because of the way it handles the DLL's and stuff. You can use this with a wide range of already great apps, or you can test it out to see if it works with ur programs.

Thankfully this works with my Adobe Photoshop Elements, saving me over 100 for a new one, and I can just use it across my Windows and Mac, this is so sweet. This program releases later this month, maybe not til Halloween, but I can wait. It will be 60 bucks when it comes out, but will be well worth it.

My only question about this, what happens if you have an .exe that has a virus, what will it do? It shouldn't effect the mac, but what will it do?

Here is the link, and you can click on Compatiblity at the top for some programs that have been tested, other show up, but they may have not been tested. You can, and should be able to use just about any program, although a lot of freeware programs may not work. Crossover for Mac!!!

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/

There you go,that is an excerpt from an email I am sending to some of my friends.

scanlanlee

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2006
Ireland
Hi

just thought that i would chuck in my tuppence worth - have used Crossover (old Linux user) a lot, and found it works very well. If you just need office and a few apps then it works, but make sure that you get a demo and test the app you need it for before buying!:)

I have a windoze partition and do use it, I don't like it, but it is useful to have and my little girl got my old laptop out of it so everyones happyish:confused:

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
thewhitehart said:
Ooh... tell us more. This is the first I've heard of it. Is it like the often talked of idea of Darwine? Got any links about it?
Crossover Office is a commercially supported distribution of Darwine (or Wine on linux) from the principal Wine developers. Coming soon to a Mac near you.

http://www.codeweavers.com.

B

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Rapmastac1 said:
Sure not EVERY SINGLE WINDOWS APP will work, but still, now I can use my Adobe Photoshop I bought for windows on my Mac, Finally.
Do give their supported apps list a good look (and try for yourself) before getting too excited. PS is only supported up to version 7, and it's buggy. In the details for each program is a known issues tab that will tell you exactly what features are known to be broken. If they're features you don't care about, then you're all set.

KamikazeH20mln

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2006
From a business standpoint, Crossover is still very unstable. Its only at ALPHA 3. MS Office still bombs hardcore with Alpha.

lizard79

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2005
Rapmastac1 said:

lol
maybe in fakestreet where you're living it works but not in real life.. sorry to tell you the truth..

Rapmastac1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 5, 2006
Well, it has been released for beta viewing, and you know wut, it works! I was able to get the windows version of Dj Traktor Studio working, and I tested it for 3 hours without any bumps, it's awesome! I can even set up a monitor track too, so I can hear the song, and cue the other one and see if it sounds good, I couldn't even set that up on my windows machine very well.

jupp

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2006
Ive been working with Wine on my linux servers for some time now, and now friends who have been using CodeWeavers version in commercial scenarios. So i was very happy when they released the version for os x.
That was until i put it on my Mac Pro.
I thought, well lets try loading something which apparently has no problems at all, Half Life 2. Ive seen screen shots of this on iMacs, and mac book pros, so hey lets see how damn fast it can go on a mac pro.
Well i can tell you now that its pretty slow, cos it doesnt work. It picks up the installer off the dvd, sits there for a few minutes, fakes a Windows reboot and Desktop Manager refresh, and then tells you that the installation failed.

Ive uninstalled crossover and tried again numerous time, no luck what so ever. I may be going blind as well, as i cannot see any way on the codeweavers website to feedback to them that there is something wrong with the beta version of crossover for os x.

I would recommend not using crossover until they have done some serious internal testing on it, which to be honest, it doesnt look like they have.

My 2 pence

drummerbooker14

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2006
Georgia
OMG i saw this earlier today on lifehacker and it sounds amazing. i wish i had my macbook right now.... it says it is supposed to run things at native windows speed!!!

Virtualball

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
jupp said:
Ive been working with Wine on my linux servers for some time now, and now friends who have been using CodeWeavers version in commercial scenarios. So i was very happy when they released the version for os x.
That was until i put it on my Mac Pro.
I thought, well lets try loading something which apparently has no problems at all, Half Life 2. Ive seen screen shots of this on iMacs, and mac book pros, so hey lets see how damn fast it can go on a mac pro.
Well i can tell you now that its pretty slow, cos it doesnt work. It picks up the installer off the dvd, sits there for a few minutes, fakes a Windows reboot and Desktop Manager refresh, and then tells you that the installation failed.

Ive uninstalled crossover and tried again numerous time, no luck what so ever. I may be going blind as well, as i cannot see any way on the codeweavers website to feedback to them that there is something wrong with the beta version of crossover for os x.

I would recommend not using crossover until they have done some serious internal testing on it, which to be honest, it doesnt look like they have.

My 2 pence

Wow a lot of things dont really work with Mac Pro do they? lol

I say that you should use it, I currently love playing Prey on my macbook and it runs GREAT!

Sayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2002
Austin, TX
jupp said:
Ive seen screen shots of [Half-Life 2] on iMacs, and mac book pros, so hey lets see how damn fast it can go on a mac pro.

You mean a Beta release didn't work flawlessly with a massively complex title like Half-Life 2 the first time you tried it???

Actually it does work with some Microsoft Windows software, but it is still a Beta release, which means it is not FINISHED yet and thus has BUGS and is not DONE yet.

Engaget had more luck with some various software, of course you have to make a unique "bottle" install for each app, which can take forever, which makes this whole thing kinda silly when you can just use BootCamp and get the real thing if you really needed to. Of course that would require spending money, which should only be done for serious software like Half-Life 2 and F.E.A.R.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
Virtualball said:
Wow a lot of things dont really work with Mac Pro do they? lol

I say that you should use it, I currently love playing Prey on my macbook and it runs GREAT!

Half-Life 2 running poorly in Crossover has nothing to do with it being on a Mac Pro. The iMacs and MBPs with Half-Life 2 have been using Boot Camp.

Caezar

macrumors 6502
I tried Crossover this afternoon to work on Word and Excel documents and I have to say I am disappointed by what I saw.

Plus:
- Office performs much faster on Crossover than the Office for Mac version. Office for Mac chokes (i.e. I get the spinball) on even the most simple operations, such as copy/paste. I did not notice any loss of performance under Crossover.

Cons:
- Crossover/Word crashed several times
- I opened two documents in Crossover/Word and I could not switch between the two documents. Therefore, I could only work on one document at a time.
- The Crossover menu bar is superposed to that of Office. I find this confusing as sometimes my shortcuts are interpreted by Crossover instead of by Office.

Verdict: I switched back to Bootcamp.

Caezar

Macnoviz

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Roeselare, Belgium
Kingsly said:
I am hoping there not just full of it when they say it will support games.... its the only use I have for windows.

It still needs work. They will need to have a real disc drive in their bottle. I tried some games, but most of them failed. See this thread for why, and which games did work.

jupp

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2006
You mean a Beta release didn't work flawlessly with a massively complex title like Half-Life 2 the first time you tried it???

Yeah it is a beta, but it is also near enough a complete port from their Linux product which has been around for years.

As its a beta i appreciate that some things are not going to work. But the fact that CodeWeavers link to their compatability list means that they are either assuming that it all works the same, or they are too lazy to do a list for the mac version.
Combined with the fact that there website sucks, makes codeweavers look like a bit of an immature software company.

Ill put money on their full release of this product being riddled with bugs.

A shame considering how well Wine can work on Linux

Virtualball

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
jupp said:
Yeah it is a beta, but it is also near enough a complete port from their Linux product which has been around for years.

As its a beta i appreciate that some things are not going to work. But the fact that CodeWeavers link to their compatability list means that they are either assuming that it all works the same, or they are too lazy to do a list for the mac version.
Combined with the fact that there website sucks, makes codeweavers look like a bit of an immature software company.

Ill put money on their full release of this product being riddled with bugs.

A shame considering how well Wine can work on Linux

I talked with the developers and they didnt have a plan on when to release it. if they dont even know a date in a ballpark figure there is NO way a "clear port" of the Linux one. IT IS A BETA! GET OVER THE FACT THAT IT DOESNT RUN ONE OF THE MOST ADVANCED GAMES OUT THERE! THERE WILL BE BUGS!

That gets me mad, just as mad as the people reviewing the new Leopard OS and saying its buggy...its a DEVELOPER OS PREVIEW it isnt meant to be polished!

[/rant]

lol

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
Caezar said:
Office performs much faster on Crossover than the Office for Mac version. Office for Mac chokes (i.e. I get the spinball) on even the most simple operations, such as copy/paste. I did not notice any loss of performance under Crossover.
You do realize that Office is not a universal binary yet? So any version of Office being run on an Intel Mac is being run as a PowerPC app under Rosetta which is guaranteed to be slow and plenty of beachballs.

Office under CrossOver is a native x86 application, with only the slight CrossOver overhead (virtually none), so it will definitely be faster than the Rosetta version :rolleyes:

Rapmastac1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 5, 2006
Well, I tried gettin my Photoshop Elements running, but it keeps telling me my macbook don't meet system requirments, funny!

But as far as the program I initially installed DJ Traktor Studio, it works freaking great, I have done several mixes and they have come out really nicely. This is a great program and definatly worth the projected 60 bucks. I have to try some more apps before I will think about buying it tho, but I still think it's amazing they did this, so you gotta give them props for even getting compatibility for one program, and at the normal speed, not emulated speed!

Epicurus

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
BETA - and don't you forget it.

I've played with the beta for a while now and I'm happy with it. Sure there are bugs, and some of the things I tried blew up in my face, but its a BETA. Live with it. CrossOver will get better with time, and I'll be able to buy the full version when and if I need it for the "One Windows App". Until then I'm pleased to see that there are so many options out there so quickly. I've already bought Parallels and I'm loving the two versions of Linux I installed. Not the fastest things in the world, but stable enough for my work.

When developers themselves start building in this sort of virtualization, then we'll be getting somewhere. CIDER should help. Just let one person max out a Mac Pro and run Half-Life 2 native to get the ball rolling. Word of mouth and smooth, stable software can work wonders.

MisterEd

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2006
Rapmastac1 said:
Well, I tried gettin my Photoshop Elements running, but it keeps telling me my macbook don't meet system requirments, funny!

But as far as the program I initially installed DJ Traktor Studio, it works freaking great, I have done several mixes and they have come out really nicely. This is a great program and definatly worth the projected 60 bucks. I have to try some more apps before I will think about buying it tho, but I still think it's amazing they did this, so you gotta give them props for even getting compatibility for one program, and at the normal speed, not emulated speed!

Well thats weird, I've tried running Traktor 3 on my iMac with Crossover, and it simply doesn't start. No error message, no nothing...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.