Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rapmastac1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 5, 2006
In the Depths of the SLC!
MisterEd said:
Well thats weird, I've tried running Traktor 3 on my iMac with Crossover, and it simply doesn't start. No error message, no nothing...

That is DJ Traktor Studio 2.6 or sumthin, I don't like the 3rd release. It should work flawlessly, it recognizes the sound card and everything.

Yoursh

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
MN
Loaded and worked fine installing IE6. It does have one fatal flaw for me that will keep me from using it, additional language support. I was hoping I could load some Japanese PC games on my Macbbok to play but they are unable to install due to no Japanese language support(wants to save program to a kanji/kana titled folder in default windows in Crossover but unable to display characters) I had the same problem on my PC running ME until I upgraded to XP with additional language support loaded.

I guess I'm stuck with breaking down and loading bootcamp. Oh well. Otherwise Crossover does look promising. Maybe will get some more abilities added on in later versions.

The Past

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2004
United States
So, when people say they are happy with it, are they talking about anything beyond IE and Office?

I have tried it and found it way too limiting in what you can do with it now. Would be fun to try what others are trying and happy with. Of course, I have only tried the "untested" apps from their list.

Rapmastac1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 5, 2006
In the Depths of the SLC!
I like it becuase it works, and has a bright future, I mean for a beta, this is great. I couldn't believe when I was using my high end dj program on my mac! When that same program wasn't universal yet, and that is amazing.

Kartel

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2006
San Antonio, TX
I've only tried it for running Guild Wars. But all it does it make my whole screen go black and I have to kill the process to get my desktop back. So far I'm not impressed.

Shadowspirit6

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2006
Rapmastac1 said:
So, any one extremely excited for Crossover? Sure not EVERY SINGLE WINDOWS APP will work, but still, now I can use my Adobe Photoshop I bought for windows on my Mac, Finally. This is so amazing, now I can truly have the best of both worlds, without emulation, or without having to buy a full copy of windows, again. Anyone know more about this, is there a beta that was out at all, if so, has anyone used it?
do yout think x fire will work?

SBT

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2006
England
Can't wait for Crossover to be released. Installed the beta and have used Adobe Photoshop on my sisters MacBook. Works well but there are a few glitches sutch as, on the canvas when using the brush tool, it appears VERY strange as sections are not coloured and it makes a kind-of chess board look. Does anyone else have this problem?

Abulia

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2004
Kushiel's Scion
Virtualization and emulation will never be as fast as running native in a dual-booting environment.

If performance (ie. games) and stability (ie. work) are requirements for you, then dual-booting is going to be the better solution 9 times out of 10. These products (Parallels/Crossover) are nice "casual" tools that are neat to have and demonstrate, but you can't use them to play games and I wouldn't ever use them to run mission-critical apps for work.

Cabbit

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2006
Scotland
Markleshark said:
Just downloaded it, gonna install the only Windows game that really matters... Transport Tycoon Delux *Fingers Crossed*
Try open transport tycoon delux. thats how i play it on my imac G3 and core duo. it works a treat, is a uni bin and dosnt need windows/wine/cedega/nor crossover.

bankshot

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Southern California
Abulia said:
Virtualization and emulation will never be as fast as running native in a dual-booting environment.

For the most part, yes, but I've read about obscure cases where it was actually faster in the virtualized environment. Most likely due to something like the host OS caching the virtual hard disk in memory.

If performance (ie. games) and stability (ie. work) are requirements for you, then dual-booting is going to be the better solution 9 times out of 10. These products (Parallels/Crossover) are nice "casual" tools that are neat to have and demonstrate, but you can't use them to play games and I wouldn't ever use them to run mission-critical apps for work.

I would argue that virtualization (but not emulation) wins on stability. Without trying to bash on Windows, virtualization allows you to run it within a clean, sandboxed environment. It does not have direct access to the physical hardware, and therefore can do less damage if something goes wrong. And more importantly for mission-critical apps, you can always backup the exact state of the virtual machine at any point in time where it's known to be configured properly and working. This is huge.

Another thing it's great for is testing applications on multiple configurations. I use Parallels to develop and test an app on Windows XP, 2000, ME, 98, Linux (various distributions), FreeBSD, and OpenBSD. All on the same Mac. Definitely more than a casual tool or demonstration. It takes computing to the next level.

Except for cases where the application needs direct access to hardware (games, demanding 3-d work like CAD, odd external devices, etc), my opinion is that virtualization beats dual boot every time. Better stability, much better ease of use (move data seamlessly between multiple environments simultaneously), faster recovery when things go wrong, etc. And for mission-critical servers, nothing beats running within VMware's industrial-strength virtualization offerings. I'm not terribly familiar with their high end stuff, but things I've read are fantastic. Like if a physical computer in a server farm fails, the virtual machine continues running uninterrupted on another computer, instant failover. Wow. Talk about stability!

Err, wait. I just went off on a complete tangent about virtualization when this thread is about emulation (Crossover). Doh! :eek:

bloodycape

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2005
California
How can I get the new office beta to install? Every time I try it says not running windows Xp. I even tried to install it under windows xp bottle but it also did not work any ideas?

mac ified

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2006
admanimal said:
Half-Life 2 running poorly in Crossover has nothing to do with it being on a Mac Pro. The iMacs and MBPs with Half-Life 2 have been using Boot Camp.

how do you get HL2 to work?
I tried to install it and a error mesage came up. it said: error pre-mature installation problem, or something like that. please help me... :confused:

P.S. steam does work without any problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.